• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

Im sure its been around awhile, with different plastics, intakes, boards, engines, belt drives/chaincases, etc. It’s not a big deal that the sled wasn’t 100% at haydays, new sleds are typically being tweaked till just before production.

The reason racers and such can get away with it is because they aren't held liable for injuries that incur for shotty drsign. If Cat or another manufacturer sells a sled that injuries someone, requires thousands of units to be recalled, or ruins their reputation, it means bankruptcy and that means thousands of employees and investors lose some or not all if their livelihood. Then like was stated, designing tools for assembly and having them built takes time. Cat needs their investment to pay, they can't afford to take a huge loss so them taking their time is the best way to hopefully receive a large return.

Any custom fabricator guys here? I have a question. In the motorcycle world or car world they can whip up a machine in several weeks. Nevermind the race world. Every dragster is scratch built. So how come they don’t do these kinds of things as far as testing? I know to tool up a factory is a different thing and of course I have no idea how and why but it seems odd you guys are talking a decade of testing of sorts when racers are through multiple chassis and engines each race. Surely they have a race department and yada yada. Or why? **** there’s so many young racers who would ride sketchy stuff to be involved. Seriously the fabrication on a alpha rail is a weekend for a member on here!( guy on here built one)
They do. That is how the prototype and concept validation is done. The original Alpha rail concept from 2013 has been described as basically what the snowest member here built. The original prototype Proclimb chassis sleds were tube chassis. Developing a consumer product is a very different process than something developed for racing. Vastly different goals for performance, longevity, economics, large scale manufacturability, and regulations that have to be met. Any powersport vehicle I've had or ridden that was setup as a dedicated race machine did not make a very good recreational riding play machine.

i think when things take longer than expected it can be from multiple reasons one being following a design route that doesnt lead to your ultimate goal so you have to start over, and also there is a moving target of what it needs to be to compete. combine that with rocky times at cat and years go by. I hope a stable ownership and management will allow them to update and innovate faster. I really just want more info on the new sled. a high end expensive lightweight version with carbon fiber bits that was 399lbs would get the mags talking.

Im sure its been around awhile, with different plastics, intakes, boards, engines, belt drives/chaincases, etc. It’s not a big deal that the sled wasn’t 100% at haydays, new sleds are typically being tweaked till just before production.
In 1989 I rode the prototype prowler. When the 1990 prowler came out it had over 100 changes from the 1989. So they are absolutely tweaking up till production starts.

In 1989 I rode the prototype prowler. When the 1990 prowler came out it had over 100 changes from the 1989. So they are absolutely tweaking up till production starts.
Your going back in time now talkin about the prowler. your handle Old & Slow makes sense, i guess i fit that as well. I remember when I believe Magic Cat came out with the Howler. Feelin old now

100 changes from an '89 Prowler that didn't exist? I get what your saying but a change could be anything brae.

Curious if it ticks off the boxes for you mountain guys? They where? Narrower, better spindles? Higher ride height? Better boards? Looks like they have the mountain seat? It’s still a alpha so what could be better if it stays an alpha? Iam a. Ew rider I have a 21 hardcore alpha.

Curious if it ticks off the boxes for you mountain guys? They where? Narrower, better spindles? Higher ride height? Better boards? Looks like they have the mountain seat? It’s still a alpha so what could be better if it stays an alpha? Iam a. Ew rider I have a 21 hardcore alpha.
It looks to have checked all the boxes you mentioned. I personally will need to ride one before I can form any opinions. I am curious to see how the Alpha rail reacts with this chassis as compared to the twin rail on the Riot. The 600 has also peaked my interest. I have been riding the mountains since 78 and may be ready for a light nimble sled with 140 hp. I am way past trying to himark or be cool. For me and my riding partner its all about having fun, we typically find spots that void the crowds and go play in the trees. I can have as much fun on a 600 as on a turbo. I find it interesting that a lot of folks on here are bashing the sled because it has a 600. When very few if any have even seen one in person never mind ridden one.

Last edited:
600 Turbo. It's a rare opportunity for the aftermarket turbo and big bore shops. There will be 1, maybe 2 years of big $$$ sales for them.

Obviously they are in the process of a 800 or 850 turbo so having th 600 will just be like every ones 600. I was more curious of the “platform “ seeing as a lot of people are pretty happy with ctec but most say fat and wide yada yada. Seems like an elevate front?

It looks to have checked all the boxes you mentioned. I personally will need to ride one before I can form any opinions. I am curious to see how the Alpha rail reacts with this chassis as compared to the twin rail on the Riot. The 600 has also peaked my interest. I have been riding the mountains since 78 and may be ready for a light nimble sled with 140 hp. I am way past trying to himark or be cool. For me and my riding partner its all about having fun, we typically find spots that void the crowds and go play in the trees. I can have as much fun on a 600 as on a turbo. I find it interesting that a lot of folks on here are bashing the sled because it has a 600. When very few if any have even seen one in person never mind ridden one.
140 hp? Not enough at altitude or with a big lug track.

What’s sad about that? They have allready leaked a large displacement turbo on the new platform. Why is a 600 bad for what it’s worth. Each of the others do and poo has a 600. The die hards love the cat so having a 800-850 turbo with a slimed down , raised platform better yada yada. Then what will there be to complain about if it works? Seems like Polaris had a better machine but it’s broken or unavailable lol. So what’s sad about it? Really? What needs to be changed? Iam asking.

Premium Features

Back