• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

Very quiet on cats end. So much for an intensive 4 month marketing campaign.

I do agree fully that a 50cc less offering that competes is fine, but not offering a turbo genre is a tough sell to the guys who have been waiting for it. The market share of that is enough you'd think to push one through.

The only reason I can think that cat hasnt offered a turbo yet, is that they cannot get consistent result or their failure rate is too high on the current setup.

I still think we will see a hero card move by cat and a large displacement option will be ready for when snowchecks start this year. Or else they really missed the mark.

It may be bad timing in the end. Borrowing money is getting more expensive and will be like that for years to come, if North America does go into a deep recession, it will be a bad time to innovate and have capital to invest . This whole release and info just seems like a weird way of doing business.

Cat 800cc Alpha smokes the Polaris 850 in the mountains. Why go bigger? To beat the competition even more? Haha
Alpha feels more powerful because of the track/traction imo. I was kinda disappointed when i went from my 20 alpha to my 21 850 khaos. Felt alot less powerful. Then i installed a camso x3 and it was back on par.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I get that sleds are a lot more refined now, but if you look at the past to me it shows that big bore, over 800cc, sleds are not as popular as the internets and social media would have you believe. How many times have 900-1000cc sleds came and went just to fall back to 600-800cc sleds? Don’t get me wrong, cat will definitely need more than a 600, I just don’t think the market for the 900cc+ sleds is as big as people think, especially at todays prices. I also think the arguing over the past few years over 50cc’s is silly and is just more drummed up social media nonsense
Getting on an old 800 Poo or Doo after spending time on either 850 is like going from an 800 to 600 IMO. That 50cc is a BIG deal in terms of overall feel. Does it allow you to go insane places that no 800 could? No absolutely not.

The 850-900s are here to stay this time. They just plain work. Look at how many 850s Polaris sold vs 800s the last 4 years. I bet 95%+ of snowcheckers chose the 850. The demand is there because there really is NO reason, like absolutely none to go with the 800.

I will say I do not understand the price point of the 9R, its a tough sell over the 850 at 3-4k (I think it's that much but I'm really not sure).

They 800 Cat works fine but I think guys will be surprised at how nice an extra 10-20 ponies really is.

Getting on an old 800 Poo or Doo after spending time on either 850 is like going from an 800 to 600 IMO. That 50cc is a BIG deal in terms of overall feel. Does it allow you to go insane places that no 800 could? No absolutely not.

The 850-900s are here to stay this time. They just plain work. Look at how many 850s Polaris sold vs 800s the last 4 years. I bet 95%+ of snowcheckers chose the 850. The demand is there because there really is NO reason, like absolutely none to go with the 800.

I will say I do not understand the price point of the 9R, its a tough sell over the 850 at 3-4k (I think it's that much but I'm really not sure).

They 800 Cat works fine but I think guys will be surprised at how nice an extra 10-20 ponies really is.
And I believe VOHK prefers the 850 to the 9r.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

so the extra 50cc is huge unless we are talking 850 to 9r? lol
I think the 850 is just more of a powerhouse than the old 800 ever could be from its design. The bottom end on the 800 was originally designed for a 440.
Id put money on the newer 650 beating the old 800, i dont think its all in the displacement.

i totally agree i think cats are very good right now and the 800 is as good of better than the others but it doesnt sell. Big new things sell and cats are "old" and "small" . I wish the new chassis had the "old" 800 in it for this next year then i would buy one but to compete in sales you have to have bigger and better to get people to switch brands.

The 9R was $2600 more than the 850 on 2023 Poos. The Carl's Cycle big bore 900 kit costs $3000.

Makes it seem like the factory big bore is a good deal then.

Considering the old poo 800 was more on par with a 700 I wouldn’t say it’s much bragging right saying the 850 was significantly better than the old 800. The cat 800 is more on par with the 850s and that’s why I don’t get the hoopla over the 50cc’s, other than the marketing aspect of it cuz everyone wants the latest and greatest just to brag about it on faceyspace.

Considering the old poo 800 was more on par with a 700 I wouldn’t say it’s much bragging right saying the 850 was significantly better than the old 800. The cat 800 is more on par with the 850s and that’s why I don’t get the hoopla over the 50cc’s, other than the marketing aspect of it cuz everyone wants the latest and greatest just to brag about it on faceyspace.
K. The Poo and Doo 850s run noticeably stronger than the Ctec 800. Sales reflect that. I’m looking forward to Cats larger engine.

K. The Poo and Doo 850s run noticeably stronger than the Ctec 800. Sales reflect that. I’m looking forward to Cats larger engine.

I’ll admit the poo 850 runs a bit stronger than the ctec800, not significantly though, but The doo 850s I’ve rode with I haven’t outran any of the ctecs in the group.

I hope cats new engine carry’s on with their tradition of outperforming the competition. At this point with the way social media is, cat probably can’t afford to do anything less. They’ll get drug through the mud no matter what they produce.

Very quiet on cats end. So much for an intensive 4 month marketing campaign.

I do agree fully that a 50cc less offering that competes is fine, but not offering a turbo genre is a tough sell to the guys who have been waiting for it. The market share of that is enough you'd think to push one through.

The only reason I can think that cat hasnt offered a turbo yet, is that they cannot get consistent result or their failure rate is too high on the current setup.

I still think we will see a hero card move by cat and a large displacement option will be ready for when snowchecks start this year. Or else they really missed the mark.
From what I was told Cats engineer who was working on the turbo was one of the first to exit when Textron took over and went to Polaris. If you look at cats turbo patent they had a waste gate in the pipe similar to Patriot boost... Not certain if that is a coincidence or not.

Snowchecks generally start in March and end in April... December + January + February + March = 4 months to do intense marketing. Math is hard.

Ive owned both and can say that is not true! They have different power deliveries, the Doo has alot more bottom and mid range but the ctec really starts to shine on the mid and top, I found the polaris was a better balance of both.

800, 815, 876, 902

I don't care, but to not introduce a 800 or 800 plus the first year is a huge mistake, how many 600s do they sell? and they have been riding this new chassis 3 years already( Yes 3 years ) that is plenty of time to have developed a 600 and 800 that fit, they will have 4 plus years on this chassis before one hits the showroom floor

600s used to be the overall #1 seller for sleds. Have no idea if that is still the case, but that's probably the 10yr old data their marketing dept. is still running on. Unless it's going to be a light, forced induction 600 I agree there's no reason they shouldn't have 800+ ready at this point.

600s used to be the overall #1 seller for sleds. Have no idea if that is still the case, but that's probably the 10yr old data their marketing dept. is still running on. Unless it's going to be a light, forced induction 600 I agree there's no reason they shouldn't have 800+ ready at this point.
Not out west, not since 800s became common, the only time I see a 600 out west is around West yellowstone and its a rental

Premium Features

Back