• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

I chuckle at the big bore (like 900cc) speculations. It's a Cat...Common sense would tell you that the new engine will likely be released as an 830 or 840 and it'll smoke the competition's 850s.

I chuckle at the big bore (like 900cc) speculations. It's a Cat...Common sense would tell you that the new engine will likely be released as an 830 or 840 and it'll smoke the competition's 850s.
That was true when Cat got it’s motors from Suzuki.

We will see what Cat actually delivers for an 800+ motor.

I can’t help but believe that the new power plant will be electric. They have had a great track record with their engines, so why else would they sit quietly on the sideline while Polaris and skidoo went 850/900 and factory turbo? Why, after waiting so long to release a new chassis would they not have it ready to be released with more than a 600?
Look at how Tesla makes most cars look embarrassing with a four door sedan! The Tesla plaid is insanely fast! The characteristics of electric are perfect for snowmobiles! No more elevation power loss. Instant, wicked torque. Fewer rotating parts = Better reliability. Good bye Cvt and blown belts. No more emission restraints to work around. Environmentalist can no longer bitch about noise. The list goes on and on.
As far as I can tell, the only downside would be range per charge. Maybe they are waiting for the release of a battery that will solve that. Electric is evolving quickly and better batteries are sure to be on many drawing boards as we speak.
A lightweight, electric sled with a range of 100 miles would revolutionize the industry....

No it would not. It would be extremely heavy due to the batteries, range would really suck and there is no place to charge it other than your home. It will be between an 860 to an 870 with the optional Turbo. They have already said it will be the best 2 stroke ever built.

AC has been engineering their engines since the laydown design came out in 2005. Suzuki supplied the parts and assembled. Now with the C-tec AC assembles with a different supplier. The C-tec is a refined version of the original laydown eng same component specs with a different oil and fuel delivery. The C-tec has a better power delivery and more of it. As far as big bore goes AC has more experience than Doo or POL. I am looking forward to what they are bring out. While I would love to see the new engine out next season I am ok with them getting it right before releasing an unfinished product.

I can’t help but believe that the new power plant will be electric. They have had a great track record with their engines, so why else would they sit quietly on the sideline while Polaris and skidoo went 850/900 and factory turbo? Why, after waiting so long to release a new chassis would they not have it ready to be released with more than a 600?
Look at how Tesla makes most cars look embarrassing with a four door sedan! The Tesla plaid is insanely fast! The characteristics of electric are perfect for snowmobiles! No more elevation power loss. Instant, wicked torque. Fewer rotating parts = Better reliability. Good bye Cvt and blown belts. No more emission restraints to work around. Environmentalist can no longer bitch about noise. The list goes on and on.
As far as I can tell, the only downside would be range per charge. Maybe they are waiting for the release of a battery that will solve that. Electric is evolving quickly and better batteries are sure to be on many drawing boards as we speak.
A lightweight, electric sled with a range of 100 miles would revolutionize the industry....
Get Tesla to produce snowmobiles, and then this dream will come true :)

I need to replace my Alpha next year. I held off this year just because of supply issues, but next year I need one. Not gonna buy a 600cc so, if there isn't a mountain 800 option, for the first time in 20 years, I guess I'm switching brands. I don't really see another option. Not having a mountain sled option to sell and for Cat to miss an entire year is ridiculous, if not embarrassing. They have had 3+ years to get something together since doo announced their turbo. Hope they have something for snowcheck in April, but if not.....

Interesting picture! Yes with that can, you should be able to another 15lbs with a titanium SSI can? It looks like a tube chassis, lightweight but strong, take that Ski-Doo!!

@Clark42 Might be onto something. Imagine they get 600s out for demos this spring, and then "oh, guess what! We decided to stick the 800 in it for '24!" If people like the way it rides, they might jump for the 800 even knowing there's "something bigger" coming in '25, and some (like me) aren't too wrapped up in keeping up with the Joneses in the engine department.
They need to keep up with the Joneses in the engine department, I don't care how light this sled is but it will not sell like it should with anything less than an 850.

I know you are a proponent of a small engined, lightweight sled... I just don't think that market is there now that guys have experienced todays factory boosted 2 stroke sleds. Especially high altitude guys.

they took the mtn market in ‘05 with a 700 when all the competition was coming out with 900-1000cc sleds, so it’s happened before. Guess it depends how well it works. Also price could be a factor. If they keep the cost reasonable compared to the $20k+ price tags of the competition they could do well.

They need to keep up with the Joneses in the engine department, I don't care how light this sled is but it will not sell like it should with anything less than an 850.

I know you are a proponent of a small engined, lightweight sled... I just don't think that market is there now that guys have experienced todays factory boosted 2 stroke sleds. Especially high altitude guys.

I agree, but mostly from a marketing perspective: I can imagine a Cat 800 that matches a NA 850 competitor in power-weight (say, a <400lb sled vs an RMK at 420lb) and even outperforms but still loses in sales. It's not that I want to see a smaller motor, it's just that at some point not far over 800cc, you run into diminishing returns and more problems. Obviously, they've signaled something bigger, and it'd be awesome if they meet or beat Doo and Poo in power at a lower weight. Still, if an 800 is basically a non-starter, then why are they building a 600 mountain sled at all? Mostly I'm arguing that, while an 800 would probably be a weak third place in sales, they'd sell 3-5 times more of those than 600s - probably worth it even if it's just for a year. Boosted sleds are pretty sweet, especially for people who ride at 10k+, but the way the economy is going, Cat may be wise to let Doo and Poo fight over that and concentrate on bringing a competitive sled at the best value. And of course, we'll probably be facing supply chain SNAFUs for years to come, so there's another argument for KISS...

Premium Features

Back