• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

Thought I was the only one who thought that thought. Haha

The Alpha rear suspension is light and doesn’t hold a lot of snow. But, it has a narrow ideal operating range.

Kinda like Doo’s t-motion (which Doo got rid of on its 2023 Experts and Poo’s Pro Ride rear trail suspension that they eventually dumped). Failed experiments.

A twin rail would be better overall for Cat.

Seems like from outside looking in the most ambitious riders want a taller skinnier lighter more powerful machine? Even the snow bike guys want narrower rails? So maybe there’s a compromise with alpha and twin? Maybe not I have no idea but as a new rider and an older gentleman it’s what iam seeing. It’s silly to debate the 600 when it’s been leaked that a Large displacement turbo is being manufactured. So now it just has to check all the boxes and work and be on time and be affordable. Bwahaha! Isn’t there some triangle hung that has affordable and good and pick one kinda thing? So even though Polaris is best you can’t get one or it’s broke? Do is great too but it’s Canadian and I want American made lol! So it’s the last great white hope. Bwahaha

There's a little bit of new info on the website: they're still calling the 600 a 125hp engine.

There was speculation, but it seems that 10% weight loss is true. That is going to be very significant. I'm seeing that the current 154" Alpha Mtn Cat is 437lbs. A 10% reduction puts it under 400lbs.

Here's some screenshots or you can go to the Cat site and play with their graphic yourself.

Screenshot_20221206-075953_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20221206-080024_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20221206-080220_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20221206-080232_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20221206-080337_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20221206-080312_Instagram.jpg

I would snowcheck an 800 this year in a heartbeat. Test out and enjoy the new platform for a few years while they iron out the bugs on a higher displacement/turbo motor. I'm not even sure I want a turbo, current 800 provides all the fun I can handle/need/want.

Last edited:
High strength steel chassis with aluminum tunnel is an interesting move.
Adjustable center distance on the belt drive to allow the belt to be changed and gear ratios changed. Sounds better than the Polaris system already! Not sure how you change the center distance without making the jack shaft position adjustable though? Different driver positioning from trail to mountain platforms like current.
Mountain spindles are longer on the lower end and shorter on the upper end for some lift.

how much fuel does the current ascender hold i saw the catalyst is showing 10.4 gallons.

All this talk of what’s needed and not needed. I would say snowmobiling as a sport correlates to nothing needed.
100% wanted. No matter what style of riding.
So, if a person thinks it’s needed, they are really saying they want something. The ones who want a 600 will get a 600. They actually want that 600 for what they want it for. Most are not saying it isn’t going to work, most are saying I don’t want that for the 100s of their own reasons.
The only needs in the industry are to stay competitive in all aspects. Right now AC seems to be teetering. Good thing Textron is in other sectors.
Most people are not going to spend $ mid teens+ on something that isn’t all they want. It will be a smaller % who could care less about spending mid teen money to give it a shot. Or be one of the ones that got one, etc. that kind of buyer.
For me, I only ever bought Cats, but figured I’m not going to be the waiting type with a Rec vehicle that is based on 100% want. Fun reading though. Just more of the same since about 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guys who are most adamant about needing a 800+ are most likely the ones who need it the least. I can not tell you how many days I’ve spent babysitting grown men on 160”+ 800’s while I’m on a 600 144” Iqr breaking trail, telling them what lines to take and to not follow mine(cause they’ll get stuck). Most are flattering themselves thinking they need what they have when a 600 would make them a better rider but whatever, big hp and dreaming to be able to do bowties is what sells right now. It’s no different in the dirt bike world, everyone wants a 450 or 300 and they flounder in the C class.

If I can snowcheck a twin rail I’m getting one, no twin rail option and I’m not interested. The alpha rail is a failed experiment imo.
Now you should get it. You're not willing to settle for an alpha rail but expect people should settle for a 600. Maybe that alpha rail will make you a better rider.

settle? like youre going to buy this sled or youre not riding Mr! LOL

wonder if their new spindles will work on older chassis, they look much much better than the current riot spindle.

settle? like youre going to buy this sled or youre not riding Mr! LOL

wonder if their new spindles will work on older chassis, they look much much better than the current riot spindle.
The distance between the upper and lower ball joints is different.

There's a little bit of new info on the website: they're still calling the 600 a 125hp engine.

There was speculation, but it seems that 10% weight loss is true. That is going to be very significant. I'm seeing that the current 154" Alpha Mtn Cat is 437lbs. A 10% reduction puts it under 400lbs.

Here's some screenshots or you can go to the Cat site and play with their graphic yourself.

The 2018 153 Cats weighed 457 dry. I could not find anything more recent that was official.

1670372241963.png

Here’s what the paperwork for my estart ‘20 says for weight, but who knows how accurate it is considering they don’t even have accurate track lengths for the alphas on there. If the 10% loss is accurate it should at least put them comparable to Polaris which seems to be the limit for durability considering how the poos have been gaining weight and I believe the xp doo did the same thing when they shot for light weight then had to add it back.

E0DCC9F4-03EC-42CC-AD28-B1CABE942497.jpeg

if an 18 cat is around 460 and the alphas with carbon torque link and some other updates are around 445-440, i can see where it could get close to 400. I have an 18 mtn cat and the hood and headlight isnt light. just some of the obvious stuff thats lighter on the catalyst, seat 3-5 lbs gas tank 3-5lbs belt drive 8-10lbs hood and body work 5-10lbs narrower bulkhead 5-7 lighter tunnel 2-3lbs running boards 1-2lbs. taking the low side of my not at all scientific estimates "could be" 30 lbs. I dont know if theres other lightweight upgrades or if some of my guesses are too far off.

Here’s what the paperwork for my estart ‘20 says for weight, but who knows how accurate it is considering they don’t even have accurate track lengths for the alphas on there. If the 10% loss is accurate it should at least put them comparable to Polaris which seems to be the limit for durability considering how the poos have been gaining weight and I believe the xp doo did the same thing when they shot for light weight then had to add it back.

The 2018 153 Cats weighed 457 dry. I could not find anything more recent that was official.

View attachment 396747
Numbers don't seem too consistent, I'm seeing several sites listing 437, and others saying 446 (non e-start). 10% off 446 is 402lbs. Even using 460lbs to start with, 10% puts it at 414lbs which is lighter than Matryx sleds. Guess all we can do is speculate until we see one on a scale a year from now.

If Cat really wanted to market this thing they should do a live weigh-in comparing it to the outgoing versions.

Premium Features

Back