• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

Numbers don't seem too consistent, I'm seeing several sites listing 437, and others saying 446 (non e-start). 10% off 446 is 402lbs. Even using 460lbs to start with, 10% puts it at 414lbs which is lighter than Matryx sleds. Guess all we can do is speculate until we see one on a scale a year from now.

If Cat really wanted to market this thing they should do a live weigh-in comparing it to the outgoing versions.

Since it appears they have no production sleds to actually weigh, I guess we will all have to stay tuned.

For reference, these are the dry weights for current n/a 2023s:

Polaris Pro Rmk 840 w 155 track: 420.5 pounds

Doo 850 w 154 track w SHOT: 430

Add electric start to the Polaris and the Ski Doo is ten pounds lighter than the RMK Pro.

Cat is starting out heavier than Poo and Doo. A belt drive saves maybe 3-4 pounds. Composite portions on running boards maybe a pound or two?

It will be interesting to see how/if Cat shaves off another 30 plus pounds.

NRH,
One quick search shows the Doo Freeride 154X2.5 @ 442 lbs.
The Poo's weight is an estimate and doesn't specify which track. (155X2.75 or 3")
Again, no one has had any of these sleds on the scales so who knows.
Cats biggest weight reduction will be the hood and air plenum I'm guessing.

NRH,
One quick search shows the Doo Freeride 154X2.5 @ 442 lbs.
The Poo's weight is an estimate and doesn't specify which track. (155X2.75 or 3")
Again, no one has had any of these sleds on the scales so who knows.
Cats biggest weight reduction will be the hood and air plenum I'm guessing.
The Doo weight of 430 is for a 2023 Expert X w a 3 inch track.

The Poo weight of 420.5 is for a 2.75 track.

Since it appears they have no production sleds to actually weigh, I guess we will all have to stay tuned.

For reference, these are the dry weights for current n/a 2023s:

Polaris Pro Rmk 840 w 155 track: 420.5 pounds

Doo 850 w 154 track w SHOT: 430

Add electric start to the Polaris and the Ski Doo is ten pounds lighter than the RMK Pro.

Cat is starting out heavier than Poo and Doo. A belt drive saves maybe 3-4 pounds. Composite portions on running boards maybe a pound or two?

It will be interesting to see how/if Cat shaves off another 30 plus pounds.
That's weird, the 850 Matryx gained 1.5lbs this year, but the 9r is listed at 419 lbs.

Look at the chassis highlight on Cat's website, you can kinda see how the "bulkhead" is designed. It is no longer a solid aluminum bulkhead, it is now a skeletonized design made of steel tube. That, along with the 2011 Polaris Pro-Ride approach of eliminating or rethinking each piece in the sled, I can see 40lbs coming out of it. I've seen people pull 40-50lbs off of Ascender sleds pretty easily

That's weird, the 850 Matryx gained 1.5lbs this year, but the 9r is listed at 419 lbs.

Look at the chassis highlight on Cat's website, you can kinda see how the "bulkhead" is designed. It is no longer a solid aluminum bulkhead, it is now a skeletonized design made of steel tube. That, along with the 2011 Polaris Pro-Ride approach of eliminating or rethinking each piece in the sled, I can see 40lbs coming out of it. I've seen people pull 40-50lbs off of Ascender sleds pretty easily
Polaris lightened the crankshaft and the flywheel on the 9r to get it lighter than the 840.

10% is 43-47lbs no matter how you slice it. Impressive. Always thought the ProClimb had a ton of unnecessary parts and fasteners... glad to hear they realized that.

Yesterdays info release was awfully ho hum... surprise LOL. I suppose they don't want to dump everything at once, but I expected maybe a dry weight #.... pics of the belt drive.... pics of the chassis or under the hood... some on the snow footage. They gave us a whole lot of nothing.

Still don't understand the 600 in the mountain sled. Offer the 800 as the base mountain sled, and release the larger motor for 2025 if its not ready. Dropping the 800 in the Catalyst would be super easy for them... and they would sell 10x in 2024. Axeing the 600 completely and offering the 800 at the lowest price possible just makes more sense to me.

Alpha rail is great for what it does, doesnt hold snow at all, I think that the tracks need to develop, stiffer rods, maybe slightly wider singlebeam... There is for sure improvments, but after a day riding I would not trade single beam for anything else!

I agree. Don't understand the bad rap Alpha rail gets. Handles far better than my Proclimb. Unbelievable traction in the deepest pow, that track is the best, others are usually amazed. T Like mentioned, holds no snow when other skids are packed. People just overwork the sled when snow is more settled, less is more when in those conditions. I wouldn't trade it either!

Theyve been more focussed on in the field weight for years now. the plastics in the running boards might be bigger savings in the snow, like alpha rail.
think they said new crank in the little 600, maybe get used on the bigger CCs too

The sheets posted earlier on current sled weights say "dry" weight, but those are more in-line with the crate weights with a dry fuel tank for shipping. A couple Alpha sleds have been weighed by forum members wet with tool bag (when they were included) and spare belt at around 540lb. Subtracting out fluid weights by listed capacity and fluid density they are between 445-450lb truly dry depending on model. 10% of that is 45lb. You can pull that off a current model for less than $4,000 in bolt on parts. 400lb is within reach. If they can release a bare-bones version and have it dry hanging on a scale at 400lb at snow shows like they did with the firecats in 2003 showing they were really 435 at the time it will be huge. Marketing isn't that smart though.

Polaris lightened the crankshaft and the flywheel on the 9r to get it lighter than the 840.
Yes, but I just thought it was weird that the 850 gained that 1.5lbs from last year, rather than the 9r losing 1.5lbs from last year. 2022 850 155" slash is listed at 419lbs dry. I realize they're just estimates but just a weird little discrepancy

10% is 43-47lbs no matter how you slice it. Impressive. Always thought the ProClimb had a ton of unnecessary parts and fasteners... glad to hear they realized that.

Yesterdays info release was awfully ho hum... surprise LOL. I suppose they don't want to dump everything at once, but I expected maybe a dry weight #.... pics of the belt drive.... pics of the chassis or under the hood... some on the snow footage. They gave us a whole lot of nothing.

Still don't understand the 600 in the mountain sled. Offer the 800 as the base mountain sled, and release the larger motor for 2025 if its not ready. Dropping the 800 in the Catalyst would be super easy for them... and they would sell 10x in 2024. Axeing the 600 completely and offering the 800 at the lowest price possible just makes more sense to me.
I don’t understand why they aren’t offering the 800 either. Makes no sense to me at all. I would be snowchecking one if so. I ended up purchasing a 2023 because at my age (63), I didn’t want to wait 2 more years.

I don’t understand why they aren’t offering the 800 either. Makes no sense to me at all. I would be snowchecking one if so. I ended up purchasing a 2023 because at my age (63), I didn’t want to wait 2 more years.

I tell my wife given my age, I don't have a lot of new snowmobiles left in me. Hence, I buy a new sled when I want.

my guess on is the new chassis has different mounting positions or style that is lighter or something and the old 800 would require a bunch of work on the mounting to make it bolt up so instead of spending the money redoing that they just are going to wait till the big engine is ready. purely speculation though but theres got to be reason.

I agree. Don't understand the bad rap Alpha rail gets. Handles far better than my Proclimb. Unbelievable traction in the deepest pow, that track is the best, others are usually amazed. T Like mentioned, holds no snow when other skids are packed. People just overwork the sled when snow is more settled, less is more when in those conditions. I wouldn't trade it either!
They do hold snow. Just less. They also swap out on steep stuff in packed or slick snow without over riding. They are a bigger flex edge than doo. New chassis with this combo will be amazing but it would be really simple for them to stamp that track for a 2 rail skid to pull in more people.

The guys who are most adamant about needing a 800+ are most likely the ones who need it the least. I can not tell you how many days I’ve spent babysitting grown men on 160”+ 800’s while I’m on a 600 144” Iqr breaking trail, telling them what lines to take and to not follow mine(cause they’ll get stuck). Most are flattering themselves thinking they need what they have when a 600 would make them a better rider but whatever, big hp and dreaming to be able to do bowties is what sells right now. It’s no different in the dirt bike world, everyone wants a 450 or 300 and they flounder in the C class.

If I can snowcheck a twin rail I’m getting one, no twin rail option and I’m not interested. The alpha rail is a failed experiment imo.
I gotta disagree with the alpha rail statement. It is not a failure.
It's not for all conditions, but it is an absolute monster in the powder!
If i could only own one sled, it definitely wouldn't be an Alpha, but with the ability to own more than one, the Alpha is the best deep snow sled for me, and a Khaos for not so deep days.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I gotta disagree with the alpha rail statement. It is not a failure.
It's not for all conditions, but it is an absolute monster in the powder!
If i could only own one sled, it definitely wouldn't be an Alpha, but with the ability to own more than one, the Alpha is the best deep snow sled for me, and a Khaos for not so deep days.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I agree with this almost 100%.
I loved riding my alpha rail and the overall sled chassis but until they make some durability adjustments to the rail without owners having too search forums for the fixes the owners have found such as adjustments and tips and tricks for the Spring mod, bushing mod, air pressures higher then the manual says in the FTS I made the switch until I see how this new chassis works out. I know all skids have chances of breaking or bending I just don't trust the current design fully

I have a few friends who have the MTN seat, MTN running boards, have the blast hood, and the ice age elevate spindels.. from what I can tell that pretty close to riding the new catalyst. And these feel great i night add!!

Premium Features

Back