• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

If artic cat would’ve waited and not released the 600 only do you think they’d have been ok ? There are four unsold at my dealers now. It must have been a lot to talk about within the company.

Once the first year 600s all come in on trade when the 800s become available they will likely be very affordable.

I think its better to release the 600's than to release nothing at all. Probably wont sell a ton of mtn sleds but will probably sell all they want to and all they can build in total sleds across the categories. It lets people know there here to stay instead of another year of people wondering and switching to other brands. I wish it the "big" engine was ready i would buy one for sure but if it is 600 or no release for another year, the release of the 600 is a better move on cats part.

In the past has Cat ever had a first year engine that saw a high failure rate? Or even an engine that was just generally unreliable? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know the answer

In the past has Cat ever had a first year engine that saw a high failure rate? Or even an engine that was just generally unreliable? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know the answer
Well the 98 600cc wasnt great, snapped cranks were common on them, had it happen to my 98 ZR 600 last year while the wife was going 20mph down the trail.

20220202_200906.jpg 20220129_142908.jpg

Well the 98 600cc wasnt great, snapped cranks were common on them, had it happen to my 98 ZR 600 last year while the wife was going 20mph down the trail.
The 9 tower primary on those models threw out some crazy harmonics that worked against that engine. I saw one throw the crank balance weight out the bottom of the block.
My 98 600 efi was the only sled I gladly got rid of. The 2001 600 efi I replaced it with has been flawless, currently at 13,250 miles.

The 9 tower primary on those models threw out some crazy harmonics that worked against that engine. I saw one throw the crank balance weight out the bottom of the block.
My 98 600 efi was the only sled I gladly got rid of. The 2001 600 efi I replaced it with has been flawless, currently at 13,250 miles.
They also did have a piston recall on all 98 600 motors.
Just sold my wifes 98 zr 600 a week ago, but it got a MY 2000 crank in it after the first one went.

I dont know of any that had a high failure rate at all, first year or not. 2350 miles on my 800 ctec first year production and still runs great.
My '94 ZR 580 didn't make 200 miles!
However, nothing wrong with engine, standard jetting was too lean. I've never owned an engine more finicky to temp change. I became very proficient at trailside jet changing!

18 and 19 ctec had lots of failures in my area. Lots were snow ingestion related. Cat did improve the 2020 ctec. I couldn’t get over 1000km out of my alpha and replacement parts were a very long wait. Haven’t owned a cat since.

Premium Features

Back