• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Big Avy danger!

Redy2Ride just called me back and said there was 2"-3" of crust on top of the deep snow from the rain yesterday. The sun was out and melting it into wet heavy snow, but the biggest report was that the middle trail up to squirrel came down. He said it slid about 200 yards out into the flats, with little trees sticking up everywhere! I hope no one was up there....They said they could hear other ones coming down all over, but couldn't see them. The rode out to the glacier instead and said just side-hilling on small inclines would trigger small ones. I changed my mind last night and didn't go because that is some times the only way to keep myself from seeing a line I cant resist... Please be safe we don't need bad reasons to practice using our beacons & probes.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Hope no one got buried but the avy report and warnings are pretty blatant. I stayed home today also due to the avy danger. You would have to be a complete moron to be riding the mountains in Placer or Tunragain right now. Stick to the flats and come home at the end of the day. OK...off my soapbox.

D
Dec 9, 2007
Palmer,Alaska
I was at placer yesterday... Not a safe place. We had a few close ones just riding on the flats near the edges . Looking at Turny we saw several slides there too.. Then on the way home we were stuck with the road closed.

BE SAFE PEOPLE... AND CARRY YOUR AVY GEAR..
Donnie

D
Dec 9, 2007
Palmer,Alaska
Drowned Dragon

Oh yea,,
I took my dragon for a swim yesterday.. 6' under.. I was soaked up to my neck.. We pulled it out ,, pulled the pluggs , pulled on the rope till the water was out and put the pluggs back in .. She fired back up with no problem..
My day was over since I was soaked to the bone...

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Oh yea,,
I took my dragon for a swim yesterday.. 6' under.. I was soaked up to my neck.. We pulled it out ,, pulled the pluggs , pulled on the rope till the water was out and put the pluggs back in .. She fired back up with no problem..
My day was over since I was soaked to the bone...

Were did you do take the dive at in the river? There were some iffy spots on the river leading back to the tressel when we were there on Monday.

Avalanche in Placer?

Hope no one got buried but the avy report and warnings are pretty blatant. I stayed home today also due to the avy danger. You would have to be a complete moron to be riding the mountains in Placer or Tunragain right now. Stick to the flats and come home at the end of the day. OK...off my soapbox.

Good advice! We cancelled all of our tours for today and gave everyone the day off.

I just got off the phone with Twirl at Glacier City Snowmobile Tours in Girdwood. There just was an Avalanche in Placer/Skookum with a burial. His guides and CPG (Chugach Powder Guides) were responding as of 3:30pm. I'm back in Anchorage and all my staff are off. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!!

I asked if it was a tour of his and he said no, probally a freerider on the slopes. All he had was a lat/long, not too sure where in the valley it happened. I called Carl from the USFS and let him know they could use any of our sleds/resources to get into the scene if needed.

I will update with any info I get.

Chris

S
Dec 30, 2007
AK
Any pics?

Anybody have some recent pics? How was the weather and visibility? We rode Palmer side today instead. :( The snow there is pretty much concrete due to the wind.

D
Dec 9, 2007
Palmer,Alaska
Were did you do take the dive at in the river? There were some iffy spots on the river leading back to the tressel when we were there on Monday.

We were about a mile from the tressel near spencer glacier on the right side of the valley.. My wife was stuck on the trail, so I was trying to get behind her to help. We had two slides(one on each side of us)while we were trying to retrieve the sled. Too close for comfort..........

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
This is the front door to Squirl Flats, I was tempted to go up there, yea real tempted, but just hit the jumps instead.

Placer3-28-09104.jpg

Placer3-28-09106.jpg

Buck fever

Placer3-28-09105.jpg

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Race, I am glad you decided not to hit that chute.. It does look tempting with all the fresh powder and it would have been awesome to put the first mark on it I am sure. On the flip side I really enjoyed riding with you this past Monday and want to ride with you again.. Good to see someone come on here and show that they made the right decision.. :D

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
Doug, I was going to go back up there on Monday with Steve but I don't know now with the ash fall coming down.

Riding with a newbie today, not bad for the third time out on a sled. (he's a motor head four wheeler)

Placer3-28-09005.jpg

Finally getting the hang of jumping

Placer3-28-09157.jpg

back at the glacier

Placer3-28-09116.jpg

Placer3-28-09130.jpg

Sorta getting the hang of it

Placer3-28-09184.jpg

Placer3-28-09192.jpg

Last edited:
D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Looks like you guys found some fresh powder! I talked with Steve today and we were kinda of thinking about going north toward Petersville Monday. He said he had talked to you about going to Placer. You like riding with us newbies although I have rode trail for many years.. so I have a leg up on him.

Petersville is supposed to get 3-6 tonight and 5-9 tomorrow. I know they had some ash fall up there so I am not sure about how safe it would be. Another option would be Lost Lake. I know Tim is going to ride it tomorrow so we could wait and see what he finds up there. Maybe someone has some feedback on what it is like at Petersville.

I think I can go Monday but the wife just had 6 days off and 3 of those I was down in the Kenai riding with Tim and Monday I rode with you folks down at Placer. I am not sure it would be healthy nor smart for me to ride Monday. We will see what I can get away with tomorrow. Maybe a nice dinner would soften her up..:D

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Looks like you guys found some fresh powder! I talked with Steve today and we were kinda of thinking about going north toward Petersville Monday. He said he had talked to you about going to Placer. You like riding with us newbies although I have rode trail for many years.. so I have a leg up on him.

Petersville is supposed to get 3-6 tonight and 5-9 tomorrow. I know they had some ash fall up there so I am not sure about how safe it would be. Another option would be Lost Lake. I know Tim is going to ride it tomorrow so we could wait and see what he finds up there. Maybe someone has some feedback on what it is like at Petersville.

I think I can go Monday but the wife just had 6 days off and 3 of those I was down in the Kenai riding with Tim and Monday I rode with you folks down at Placer. I am not sure it would be healthy nor smart for me to ride Monday. We will see what I can get away with tomorrow. Maybe a nice dinner would soften her up..:D

hey doug...if you go your welcome to take my sled and see what you think of it....might make you want more then the cat...lol...let me know...

Premium Features