• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
i dont think anyone has been up into squirrl sence last sunday. it has been really bad visability. the snow is so deep going up the gut there its gonna take some work to get up to the top. im heading down in the morning hopfully ill see some of you down there

Well I don't know if I can keep up but a couple friends and I might be down there tommorrow.

HA! A month ago you doubted that us "old farts" can keep up with you....:beer; So let's see tomorrow, it should be another killer day, let's hope the visibility will be getter this time.

Does anybody from Palmer want to carpool? If not, I will see the rest of you at Carrs on Huf. @8, whooo hooo!

A
For those of you heading to placer in the next few days. I went cat skiing with CPG today from ALy and after reaching the top in the cat the guides pulled the rip cord on the day before even one run. After seeing natural slides crowning about 5' deep on very mild 20-25 degree slopes I truely was not disappointed. So for anyone going to placer the chute up to squirrel is is extremely dangerous and deadly I would suggest staying in the trees and killen the creek beds....... Give the snow time to adjust the wait of the latest 5' dump is finally tipping the scales on the January rain crust and mother nature will clean its self up in the next few days. Follow the avy forecast website and be safe. We lost enough great people last year and don't need to see that happen again. Push it, Live it, Love it!!!!!

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
be careful tomorrow...copied from the cnfaic website...

"Bottom Line
EXTRA CAUTION is advised because we have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche hazard today. Natural avalanches will be possible and human-triggered avalanches will be probable. Large unstable slabs are probable on steep slopes. Remember most avalanche fatalities occur when the hazard is considerable, and 90% of avalanches occur during or within 24 hours of a storm. We are still in that window. Take the day off, or go to Alyeska today. Stick to the flats far away from any steep slopes if you're a snowmachiner.

Discussion
We got hit pretty hard by wind and precip in the last 24 hours. There will be deep wind slabs sitting on top of two distinct weak layers of sun crust and buried surface hoar that showed activity as recently as Monday. Most of the natural avalanche activity probably occured during the storm yesterday or last night, but its still possible today. As always, the big question is, will I trigger an avalanche if I go skiing in the backcountry today? The answer is yes especially on terrain steeper than 35 degrees. Avalanche conditions are dangerous today. There is potential to trigger very large avalanches today. Don't test your luck."

Dec 8, 2007

For those of you heading to placer in the next few days. I went cat skiing with CPG today from ALy and after reaching the top in the cat the guides pulled the rip cord on the day before even one run. After seeing natural slides crowning about 5' deep on very mild 20-25 degree slopes I truely was not disappointed. So for anyone going to placer the chute up to squirrel is is extremely dangerous and deadly I would suggest staying in the trees and killen the creek beds....... Give the snow time to adjust the wait of the latest 5' dump is finally tipping the scales on the January rain crust and mother nature will clean its self up in the next few days. Follow the avy forecast website and be safe. We lost enough great people last year and don't need to see that happen again. Push it, Live it, Love it!!!!!

Great Post-Agree went today turned back. It's loaded down there

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
Warm and Wet

38 and rain today.
IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

These guys looked like they were having fun.
IMG_1623edit.jpg

IMG_1623crop.jpg

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
Folks from NOAA it looks like Turny Pass/Placer has about doubled its annual snowfall in about the last week.

Just give it time to settle and then GAME ON!

WOOT

If anything all this has done is grant us a longer riding season at turny. great timing for us!!!!!

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
All sacraficial lambs please exit right to Turnagain.

Pave the way for the chosen few. God Bless...

Just kidding, but damn! Is this gonna be be God's country or what (if the ash stays away)???

Everyone. Go burn the Sacrificial Polaris!!!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
There was a big slide that came down over the tunnel into whittier today also so stuff is sliding, Be carefull

My buddy wanted me to meet him there today, but had to get a new garage door. My wife tried to drive through it....$1500 I could have spent on a new crank:rolleyes: Its all good, she lets me spend enough on toys.
He was stuck over there while they were working on clearing it. I think there will be allot more this weekend..

Premium Features