• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

These photos are from Saturday. Does anybody recognize themselves in front of the glacier?
DSC00569_3_1.jpg

DSC00582_16_1.jpg

DSC00583_17_1.jpg

DSC00584_18_1.jpg

DSC00589_23_1.jpg

DSC00590_24_1.jpg

Skookum Drainage is closed from Apr 1-30th... and then the forest service won't reopen it probably due to lack of snow at low elevation :(

Hey Chris, did you ever find out what exactly is closed... or is it the entire valley?

Thx - Trav

Skookum Drainage is closed from Apr 1-30th... and then the forest service won't reopen it probably due to lack of snow at low elevation :(

Hey Chris, did you ever find out what exactly is closed... or is it the entire valley?

Thx - Trav

Trav:

I just got home from 15 hours in the field with the recovery mission in Johnson Pass. I do not have the map right in front of me, but I will post it as soon as possible. I think that it is from the tracks to the east/southeast. To be safe, do not go in any of Skookum drainage. From the Trussel bridge to Spencer is good and up to Squrill is ok as well. Just stay off the drainage from the tracks on in. Thanks and I will try to post before the weekend.

Chris

Thx - Trav

Wow, that interesting I didn't know that it re-opened. so does anyone know why they close it for a month? Ptarmigan breeding most likely...

I see the closure is has a start and end date, what is the reasoning behind this temporary closure? Is this annual?

I see the closure is has a start and end date, what is the reasoning behind this temporary closure? Is this annual?

It has been closed for the last 7 or so years April1. There was a meeting that none of us (not many) were aware of about the management plan for the area. Crust skiers showed up in force and that is why they have it now. I have only seen one group (of crust skiers) in the area since they closed it to us (in the last 7 years)! I was there until 9pm Monday night and can tell you it is POW not crust! I nordic ski as well and can assure you that 20 mile is much better suited to crust skiing than Skookum. Next time there is a management plan for the area we need to show up en masse!
Not sure about the May 1st thing though.....I highly doubt there will be enough snow by the highway May 1 to have it open anyway. Please don't poach it guys....

I brought my Mom to Placer yesterday :) She hasnt ever ridden before, but had a blast!

SDC10145.jpg

SDC10169.jpg

Blue skies and 36-40 degrees. Got to love it!

I found plenty of snow for playing in the trees on the way to the glacier...but its definately spring snow:)

I thought the Glacier was closed? Actually, anything on the left side of the tracks going back I was told is closed.. Is that right or did someone give me bad info?

Glad Mom had a good time! I would love to get my parents out on the powder! My father rode with me back East but my Mom? Never... :( Do you have some pic's of Mom catching some big air? :D

We went to SPENCER glacier :) It is still open. Everything east of the tracks before the trestle bridge is supposedly closed. You can still access squirrel flats and Spencer glacier.

No big air for mom, the SWEET Panther Deluxe couldnt handle it. She did ride my sled, but couldnt hold on :) ha ha ha

We had a good time for sure :)

CIMG1811.jpg

After just talking to the forest service in Girdwood the official word is the Spencer Glacier is closed as of April 1 as you have to cross the Skookum drainage to get to it. Anybody caught riding around the glacier is subject to a violation/ticket.

The Placer river valley is still open, back as far as the Skookum drainage.

That is all I know,and that again was from the US Forest Service in Girdwood as of 5 minutes ago.

Last edited:
That is bull. You dont have to cross the Skookum Drainage. You just follow the mountain up the West side of the valley, and you dont ever cross any water that flows from Skookum. Eventually down by the glacier, you cross the tracks, and bam..your there.

If it really is closed, then they could have written at least 50 tickets yesterday.

Talk to Chris at AlaskaSnowSafari's. He knows the scoop.

BTW....where is Gordwood? j/k I know you meant Girdwood:)

...I do not have the map right in front of me, but I will post it as soon as possible. I think that it is from the tracks to the east/southeast. To be safe, do not go in any of Skookum drainage. From the Trussel bridge to Spencer is good and up to Squrill is ok as well. Just stay off the drainage from the tracks on in. Thanks and I will try to post before the weekend.

Chris

Hey Chris, can you post up the map for us? The USFS website gives a dead link when looking for the map.

Thanks

Joe

The CNF website has Skookum closed as of the 1st. I would venture to guess that the Girdwood folks got their information from the parts guys at AMDS. AMDS lied to me to my face that Whittier was closed and the Troopers were writing $300 dollar tickets last Spring. Spencer is open for riding.

Mark

After just talking to the forest service in Girdwood the official word is the Spencer Glacier is closed as of April 1 as you have to cross the Skookum drainage to get to it. Anybody caught riding around the glacier is subject to a violation/ticket.

The Placer river valley is still open, back as far as the Skookum drainage.

That is all I know,and that again was from the US Forest Service in Girdwood as of 5 minutes ago.

Man I sure hope there's an information mixup here. We had a group of nine back to Spencer on Saturday the 4th. There were definitely 50+ riders in the zone back there! We transited Placer along the west side from the Ingrim parking lot, well away from the tracks until passing under the overhead girder bridge on the Placer River. Nowhere even near the Skookum drainage - until we demo'd some really sweet 2010 Arctic Cats late in the day! (and even then we had a guide from the safari folks with us to help ensure we didn't get into trouble...). Big thanks to Arctic Cat and the safari folks - you guys were awesome.

Only signs or markers I observed anywhere addressed fish bag limits... :confused:

Man I sure hope there's an information mixup here. We had a group of nine back to Spencer on Saturday the 4th. There were definitely 50+ riders in the zone back there! We transited Placer along the west side from the Ingrim parking lot, well away from the tracks until passing under the overhead girder bridge on the Placer River. Nowhere even near the Skookum drainage - until we demo'd some really sweet 2010 Arctic Cats late in the day! (and even then we had a guide from the safari folks with us to help ensure we didn't get into trouble...). Big thanks to Arctic Cat and the safari folks - you guys were awesome.

Only signs or markers I observed anywhere addressed fish bag limits... :confused:

I have no idea to be honest, I just called the Feds as I have heard a million and one different proposals. I figured they would know best if anybody as they are the ones who open/close it.

I called to get a map of the open and closed area as map on the internet was not working. The gentleman I talked to said, "as long as you don't have to cross over or under any railroad tracks it is OPEN" That lead me to believe that Spencer is CLOSED as you have to go "over" or "under" the tracks to get to it from my understanding.

I have never been back there and have wanted to go but with all the mis-information I will just stay away until next season when I know for certain one way or the other. Sorry for all the confusion......

Premium Features

Back