• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

Only the Skookum glacier valley is closed at this time. The Placer river valley is open all the way up to Spencer glacier. Just Stay out of the Skookum valley.

WHatever. I rallied it all sat. Was bomb when you got back in the draws.
The RR pig even told me I could "outrun" his buddy that was back there writing tickets, so we rallied it!

The RR pig even told me I could "outrun" his buddy that was back there writing tickets, so we rallied it!

I would really hope this is a joke... if not, thanks man, for helping us sledders get a bad name and giving more food to the non sledder greenie skier folks whatever they are..

stay of a Skookum valley everyone :)

This comment does not even deserve a response other than go away...

Closed Areas in Chugach State Park

It just amaze's me that no matter what there is always someone who thinks that they are above the law. We might not like the restrictions placed on our riding areas but if you had attended the meetings with the Forest Service a few years ago about the land use plan, you might think twice about scewing up what we worked so hard to get.
If it had not been for the hard work of those who took the time to attend these meetings and fight for what we have, you would be riding up north because NOTHING would be open in Chugach State Park to motorized use. So maybe you might think twice before BREAKING the law and trust me if I see you in a closed area you won't out run me.

Yeah come on guys, lets be smart so we dont all end up riding trails up north. Plenty of other good places to ride down south without having to ruin our PRIVELEGES to ride around there.

Quite a few of the riders I work with are not Snowesters. I know... hard to believe but its true!

Anyways, I try to inform them best I can of riding conditions, avy dangers and closures based on what I learn here. I also visit other informational websites like the Chugach Nat forest and such too.

I am having a very hard time trying to explain the damages that are done when people ride in closed areas when the snow conditions are so good, its hard to understand why its closed.

Is there anywhere posted online a GOOD map of exactly where the boundary's are for the Skookum drainage that is closed after April 1? I will distribute it to every rider I know to try and keep it open in the future for as long as possible and hopefully save someone an ignorance ticket too.

OK here is the official (second) response I have received from the National Park Service. I received a map as well, however it doesn't help me much as I don't know where the Skookum Glacier is located in relation to Spencer Glacier. The map is pretty crumby and I wouldn't want to hedge any future tickets/violations on this particular map.
Anyway here is the most recent response I have received.
Sorry, It has taken so long to get you this image hope that it helps with your information. I did find some more information about the placer and spencer area it is possible to get to the Spencer glacier as long as you stay to the left of the train tracks you should not enter the skookum valley if you have any more question don't hesitate to call thank you,

Brian Noonan
Glacier Ranger District
Chugach National Forest
(907)783-3242
bnoonan@fs.fed.us

Napoleon: "Dang, you got like three feet of air....sweeeet.....":face-icon-small-con

I was down there on Saturday too and the RR pig told me the same thing too. He was just down there to fu*k off and get his overtime. Very tongue in cheek about it all.

He also couldn't tell us where exactly not to ride (as we were unfamiliar with the area), just to stay 100 feet from the tracks.

So I ran over four skiers...:beer;

Can someone tell me if Placer is still open right now and how is the snow?
Is there much open water yet? I spoke with a friend that rode out there last weekend and said that he rode the river quite a bit.

We want to go out this Sunday, but want more info before heading that way.
If you have suggestions of other great places to ride right now, I would appreciate it.

thanks for any info. :)

Cheers :beer;

Yes Placer is still open. Scroll up or go a page back and look for pics. I took my mom to Spencer Glacier, and we didnt hit one spot of open water. It should be good for a while (for a trail ride, the powder down low is busted...)

Placer to Spencer Glacier

We took a slow ride in to Spenser Glacier today. First ride on my new M8. It was snowing hard and tough to see. We may have turned back, but we were showing a friend the glacier. It was 32 degrees when we arrived, 34 degrees when we left, and still snowing. Rode up to Turnagain Pass, and it was snowing hard there too.
CopyofPlacerBill.jpg

CopyofPlacerPatandBill3.jpg

Last edited:
Placer was super sick today. Took a couple of hours to break trail up the front side. It was real sketchy around the half way mark. Fresh avys everywhere. Squirrel flats was unreal. We had it to our selves all day long. Got some sick vid for team 908. Blue brid most of the day. When we got down back to the bottom it started to snow and blow.

Premium Features

Back