• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park / West Yellowstone Riding Conditions for 2023-2024

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Since the Midwest is snowless, my family is considering a trip out west possibly to west Yellowstone to trail ride with our trail sleds during my son’s spring break week which is the last week of March. I realize this winter has been tough everywhere, and we don’t have a crystal ball telling us a 2 month forecast, but what are the odds the trails are in decent shape the last week of March and that you can ride out of town? Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Since the Midwest is snowless, my family is considering a trip out west possibly to west Yellowstone to trail ride with our trail sleds during my son’s spring break week which is the last week of March. I realize this winter has been tough everywhere, and we don’t have a crystal ball telling us a 2 month forecast, but what are the odds the trails are in decent shape the last week of March and that you can ride out of town? Thanks
Just my guess
Based on how things are right now
I would say the snow will be trashed in town
Thin and brown as it is now if we are licky
BUT
The moment you get about 1,000ft up out of the valley I would bet it will be fine.
There is plenty of snow up higher for thr groomers to maintain trail integrity

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
As of 6:00pm today, the Black Bear snotel reports an 80" total base. This day last year, the same weather station was reporting 82".

White elephant Snotel reads 67", which is exactly equal to this day last year.

Taylor's Fork (Carrot Basin) is also almost caught up to last year's numbers, it reads 56" right now compared to 62" a year ago.

The snow is still fresh (and still falling), so the snowpack will settle in the coming days, but it's pretty interesting that we're that close to last year's snowpack. Taylor's fork still hasn't even been groomed this year because of lack of snow down lower.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As of 6:00pm today, the Black Bear snotel reports an 80" total base. This day last year, the same weather station was reporting 82".

White elephant Snotel reads 67", which is exactly equal to this day last year.

Taylor's Fork (Carrot Basin) is also almost caught up to last year's numbers, it reads 56" right now compared to 62" a year ago.

The snow is still fresh (and still falling), so the snowpack will settle in the coming days, but it's pretty interesting that we're that close to last year's snowpack. Taylor's fork still hasn't even been groomed this year because of lack of snow down lower.
It really DOESN'T SUCK right now at all!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Get out there and GET IT WHILE ITS GOOD.
The long range forecast is showing VERY LITTLE NEW SNOW coming in the next couple weeks!

2024-02-09_14-57-54.jpg

Premium Features