• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016-2017 Island Park / West Yellowstone SNOW REPORT

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Detailed Forecast

This Afternoon
Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 26. South southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight
Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 12. Wind chill values as low as -1. South southwest wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Wind chill values as low as -1. Southwest wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Its been snowing pretty much non stop all day long down here, and you are getting NOTHING?

And saying the last 20 inches that fell in the last 2 days is SET UP and WIND BLOWN already?

Yeah pretty much nothing, woke up this morning with a couple of inches on the ground from last night.
I rode Black Canyon yesterday, and there was less than a foot of wet fresh up high and the wind was ripping pretty good. Rode Keg Springs on Tuesday, and yeah, it was hard and wind scoured up high. Black Bear looks good, but we didn't get those numbers here, White elephant racked up some good numbers last weekend, but it rained Mon. and Tues.
Gonna try Lions head tomorrow.....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yeah pretty much nothing, woke up this morning with a couple of inches on the ground from last night.
I rode Black Canyon yesterday, and there was less than a foot of wet fresh up high and the wind was ripping pretty good. Rode Keg Springs on Tuesday, and yeah, it was hard and wind scoured up high. Black Bear looks good, but we didn't get those numbers here, White elephant racked up some good numbers last weekend, but it rained Mon. and Tues.
Gonna try Lions head tomorrow.....
What a pain in the butt!
Too much wind
Too much rain
Too much warm

Man, if it's not one thing it's another lately.
Was so hoping we would have a great week leading up to today..

I heard last night that Driggs got some great snow, maybe we will go there instead?

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
This is probably not that helpful, but my wife showed me a pic off of her Facebook on sledderz that showed people in "east Idaho" in hood deep powder. It did not specify where but awesome!
I have been watching Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado conditions as we are leaving the 3rd to come out and not sure where yet.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
McCall is very good right now, it's staying cold and lots o Untracked Pow. Another good dump Sun-Mon. Happy we are here?

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
In West now, pushed snow with bumper to headlight all day. Was snowing pretty good when we came back to town. Go get it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Found the goods today Christopher, lions head was real decent... amazing how conditions can change in twenty miles. Wind was blowing on and off up high, but hasn't hurt conditions much, facefull's of snow today... life's good

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is probably not that helpful, but my wife showed me a pic off of her Facebook on sledderz that showed people in "east Idaho" in hood deep powder. It did not specify where but awesome!
I have been watching Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado conditions as we are leaving the 3rd to come out and not sure where yet.
We found that HOOD DEEP POWDER yesterday!!!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Was it in the island park area? We are leaning toward coming there and we've never been to Idaho before to ride.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got some video to share now.
At the last moment I was asked to head over to DRIGGS for the day's ride rather than up to Island Park. Thats about a 45 mile distance.

driggs.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here are some clips of what we found on Saturday.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/weG4QrEnk1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ArMFBv39yws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e1_o2hvBGTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BLTUh7FEsoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sOWbF2izEjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There have been some big avalanches down into the Jefferson drainage.

DSC01782.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

Be careful back there if that's where you choose to ride. If you dig a snow pit, you'll find there's a bad ice layer.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Well things are back to normal in I.P. picked up a little over a foot of fresh pow in the last few days, temps in the teens and twenty's. Went up around Sawtel today and the snow was the best I've seen it this season... way more fresh than the gauges are saying..

IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0180.jpg

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We are on our way to island park as I speak. Should be there Wednesday morning. Hope to find some headlight deep powde. Lol.

QUOTE=christopher;4057748]
plot
[/QUOTE]

We are headed out fri night from southeast mn to sawtell so this is awesome to hear! Sounds like we'll have some good snow

Premium Features