• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park 20/21 Snow Conditions

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Generally speaking, 36" is the magic number for SAFE off trail riding in IP.
We should hit that in the next couple days and then be solid for the rest of the season at long last.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Generally speaking, 36" is the magic number for SAFE off trail riding in IP.
We should hit that in the next couple days and then be solid for the rest of the season at long last.
IDK chris, 36 will get you by down low, but I wont ride most of upper Fish hook or black Canyon with less than 72". Lot's of burned out 35" stumps up there

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
With that being said put my 1st real miles on today, good riding along the trees, rode a really safe area, (not Island park). I.P. has plenty of snow for trail riding, but grooming wont start till we get probably at least another foot

first ride.JPG

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
IDK chris, 36 will get you by down low, but I wont ride most of upper Fish hook or black Canyon with less than 72". Lot's of burned out 35" stumps up there
I know we rode at black canyon with 12-14” water equivalent on the blackbear snotel a few years back and hit alot of chit. I’d be looking for that to be over 15” if I was planning to ride THAT area.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Recommendations for what specifically?
We are riding SKIDO 850's 154 track 3"
Staying for 4 days
Have not been here in 15 plus years. Younger rider never been there. Figure to go to the most talked about areas like Two Tops, Lionhead , and Fish Creek trail area. A couple shops in Yellowstone said to trailer up 191 toward Big Sky and ride there. Also heard there is a hot spring can sled to and take a dip? What say you?
Should I stay in West Yellowstone , Island Park or Ashton? At first booked a place in Island Park then booking software provided a place in Yellowstone for a third less ... so booked West Yellowstone.
If I need any Skidoo parts/supplies what shops do you recommend?
Nice places to eat.
last was told by Yellowstone lodge birds will mess with sleds if left out? Using a sled deck ... would canvas non sled cover help keep the birds out of the sled? Also remove seat and and door to compartments overnight? Are birds so much trouble to pay have stored overnight?

Thank you

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have never stayed in Island Park. Only done West Yellowstone.

Lots of places to eat and stay in town. It's a fun town. My 2 recommendations for food in town would be Running Bear Pancake House for breakfast, and Wild West Pizza for supper and drinks.

We typically do a day South of town (Black Canyon Area), a day West of town (Two Top and or Lions Head), and a day North of town (Cabin Creek). We ride out of town (from the hotel) to all these areas, and they are all about 10-15 miles of trail. I think there are trail heads North of town and West of town to get you closer to riding if you don't wanna do as much trail. The trails can be brutal on a busy weekend.

Yellowstone Adventures should be the Doo dealer in town. Not sure how they are. I think we were maybe able to buy parts off the guys at Highmark Rentals too when we were in a pinch once.

Get ALL the food out of your sled so the crows don't try to get it. Should be fine as long as there's nothing for them to eat.

I have no advice on Island Park- other than knowing that town is more spread out than West Yellowstone. There's some riding West and North of IP that looks cool, maybe worth checking into. Mt Jefferson, Keg Springs, East Dry Creek.

I know nothing about riding up by Big Sky, and nothing about a hot spring. Hopefully some others will chime in with their thoughts/experiences.

Premium Features