• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hatchers Pass- Palmer side

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Nick,
I wuold not be beefing up those a-arms too much. I would rather be changing an a-arm and shock after a hit like that, than a bulkhead as well... Something has to give, let it be the a-arm.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
They are quite simple, just 1/4" UHMW Plastic (Ultra-High Molecular Weight) Translation= that white plastic stuff. Strapped on with SS hose clamps. Would like to change the clamps out for SS safety wire, also heard Doo has nice rubber coated clamps for their A-Arm protectors.

Yes, they do hold snow, so does every other flat surface on the sled. Ride hard and it falls off. Worst case, when you stop to wipe off your goggles, reach around and wipe off that extra three pounds of snow.

Weight? probably two pounds, use the "growler" (bathroom #2) before you ride and you'll probably drop 3.5 pounds , so it's a wash. Get an 800 you'll never notice.

Floats on snow? Yeah probably, it is a flat surface, so maybe?

Beefs up the A-arms? maybe but highly improbable as the plastic is more "flexy" than steel.

Caveat: Allows you to skid over those unseen rocks, stumps, Yeti skeletons, old sled parts, and whatever else goes bump in the snow when you ride over it.

The underside of mine are definitely scarred up after 600 miles, I'd safely say it has saved my wallet at least once since November when we went through three control arms in one weekend.

Price? dunno', cheap, it's just plastic + my time to run them through the table saw.

I'll attach some images I took while having a mid-season, no-snow fashion show with shocks on my sled. A keen eye will notice the different shock combo's.

Also shown is a tunnel rack I made from some old electronics racking, SS tubing, and all-thread. Yes it is heavier, much heavier than what I could buy.
But I am outfitting two sleds at once, so I gotta' do what I can do.

So far, two out of three sled I've modified, I've turned into season lasting, virtually indestructible tanks. I may change my mind if I were to build a true climbing sled, but this definitely is not, oh it'll get you up there, but it will have to be a running start up to the slope, leaving a three foot deep box trench all the way up.

BTW anyone have 12.5" IQR springs, something alot lighter than these .383"
shown.

Assaults 033.jpg Assaults 038.jpg Assaults 039.jpg Assaults 035.jpg Assaults 041.jpg Assaults 028.jpg

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
ak49er, I loike what you have done there. More of a skid plate than bracing. Will stop you from snagging the back bar of the arm. I agree with the weight not being an issue or packing alittle snow unless it stops you from getting full travel out of your suspension. Like you said, that material is slippery enough that if you ride agressively they should pretty much self clean.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
i called hatcher pass polaris and they quoted me 132 and some change for them x4 so make me an offer . there just sitting in the garage

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Just like the race cars....

Those are special WE Maintenance Air Jacks. They mount under the tunnel, and come down with a flip of a switch for pit stops. I bought them after my second busted a arm... they are...:D

Just kidding, they are 3 Ton Jack Stands, came with a similar looking lightweight floor jack in a kit from Costco years ago.

I don't have a high lift maintenance stand, so I jack the front end and/or hoist the rear with a floor crane for most maintenance.

Funny story, I have fretted for years about not storing my sleds with the track raised off the ground, as recommended by those who know their ****. And I always place a 4x4 under the front track shock to compress the suspension when adjusting limiter straps. I've had the same two length 4x4's in the garage form at least as many years.

Yesterday I thought to prop the bumper up on the 4x4 for a moment while "laying down" the front track shock on wifey's ride, and whaddya' know? Perfect height, and if you get it perfectly flat and drive some screws of some sort on either side of the bumper, BAM! instant track jack. Add a plate of decent plywood on the bottom and it's ALMOST, (use at your own risk) stable enough to spin the track for whatever. Sweet, insta-fix!

RE: Duct Tape, I gots it, its Black Gorilla Tape and it covers my headlight adjuster.

Last edited:
N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Anyone want to meet at the upper lot around 11 am Friday? Need to tune a little and would like to ride somewhere close. Maybe head back towards dogsled?

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Hope everyone had a good ride. I got to Hatchers Pass road about 1:30 PM and it looked really socked in was getting worse. Turned around and went back home. Hopefully it snows a bunch and tomorrow is nice.

Edit: Looks really nice now, must have cleared up:mad: Loaded and gassed and will be back in the morning. Probably 11 am at the upper lot again. If anyone wants to meet up shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2007

There was a nasty front that came in, and tore the Pass up for awhile at elevation. Hopefully 2morow will be sunny clear. It hit like a Blizzard for a bit.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
Don't listen to him.... He is lieing... :D

Na...... It was crazy up there, but I'm sure everyone else would be better off going to PVille.

Hatcher's is Bare bones, stay away :D

Only snow I seen up there was from a kid eating a snow cone, roller blading down the road. I even think I saw some folks nature seeing up there in the no snow areas panning for gold in all the open streams while other folks were sun tanning.

CRAZY ...... I know. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hope you boys have your long tracks ready :D

I'm taking the short track 120, should be great ;)

Last edited:
Premium Features