• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Nice pics Boondocker! Looking forward to riding one this season. The 858 combined with the best deep snow track out there should be a solid contender right out of the gate in the na mountain class.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Nice pics Boondocker! Looking forward to riding one this season. The 858 combined with the best deep snow track out there should be a solid contender right out of the gate in the na mountain class.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

You forgot to mention that this chassis has some of the best thought out features. Easy to work on and will be the lightest on the snow.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
it took a long time but if it all works the as good as it looks it definitely should be the best sled on the snow. starting from scratch gets rid of many of the limitations that you have when revamping older chassis or engines.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
You forgot to mention that this chassis has some of the best thought out features. Easy to work on and will be the lightest on the snow.

They keep repeating that, but why then wont they put it on a scale??
Until they do, it's just marketing fairy tales!

Cat is a few years late to the party, but I really hope this sled is a home run!! The other two and a half OEMs really need the competition!!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Thanks Boondocker 97 for all the pics and comments for those of us that couldn't attend Hay Days.

This is one of those sleds that the more you see and learn about it the better it gets. I have had 2 turbo Doo guys call me and talk about this sled, both are very interested they love the look and weight /COG. It will be great for tree ridding and boondocking. On a big open hill I am sure it will do fine but I wouldn't expect it to beat a turbo. But I think it will be closer than most think. This is a well thought out purpose built efficient chassis, now they added some good power it might just be the most fun sled to ride.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
They keep repeating that, but why then wont they put it on a scale??
Until they do, it's just marketing fairy tales!

Cat is a few years late to the party, but I really hope this sled is a home run!! The other two and a half OEMs really need the competition!!
There are a few points that should make it light. First most obvious is the single beam rear suspension. Next the direct steering without the extra linkage like Polaris has. I expect the plastic running boards are light. Also the belt drive will lose weight. The motor looks like it shold be light too as it has the motor mounts built in and ribbed castings. I do know Cat does not make light tracks so that one goes against them.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Cat is a few years late to the party……
Yep, Cat missed the massive 850 doo belt blowing issues, Polaris stop ride notices etc. Meanwhile, Cat is humbly producing the Alpha and walking on the competition with a reliable sled. Haha

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
my 17MC would run great with intakes fully covered. the new cleaner running 18s had the issues. intake gaps.. was good as any polaris by MY19.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Yep, Cat missed the massive 850 doo belt blowing issues, Polaris stop ride notices etc. Meanwhile, Cat is humbly producing the Alpha and walking on the competition with a reliable sled. Haha
Horrible powder bogs (unridable on deep days), intakes not sealed leading to water ingestion and blown motors, primary clutches blowing apart, steering posts that snap on command, many rail failures. Cats far from reliable. Hopefully the catalyst addresses all these issues.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I wasn't referring to the engine primarily, I was referring to the chassi. The 800 engine was more or less the only thing I liked on the old sled, the rest of it felt like something a bunch of guys cobbled together from scrap bin parts over a weekend. And I wouldn't call the Alpha skid "reliable", the mono rail is fragile as leaf thin glass and is connected to the rest of the skid with M6 bolts... That mono skid is falling to pieces regularly for guys not even riding hard.... And don't even get me starting on belts. Early years the "current" AC chsssi sleds blew belts like no Doo has before or after so... ;)

Anyways. I like the look of the Catalyst. I wont say it's impossible I will be looking that way next time i change sleds. Luckily that's two years from now so I'll have the chance to observe from a distance for a while before I consider taking the leap.

Something I really think Cat should do though is clean the handlebars up. At least on powder sleds no other controls than throttle and brake should be on the handle bars. Get those heater/reverse etc controls off the bars!!!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Horrible powder bogs (unridable on deep days), intakes not sealed leading to water ingestion and blown motors, primary clutches blowing apart, steering posts that snap on command, many rail failures. Cats far from reliable. Hopefully the catalyst addresses all these issues.
I am wrong and you are 100% correct. I forgot about that stuff. Then parts were back ordered forever.

FiveFingerMethPunch

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2018
Utah
Yes solid has it built for the 600 and ready to tune for the 858 according to the sw podcast
You are confusing Solid and Ibexx. Ibexx was on the SW podcast. However, you are correct in that Solid has a turbo for the Catalyst and will have a turbo for the 858. The kit that Solid has is soooooo clean. Check out pics of Maverick Walker's Catalyst that was at Haydays.

PTSCummins

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2020
Yes solid has it built for the 600 and ready to tune for the 858 according to the sw podcast

Solid is NOT the same as Ibexx. Each has their own kit under development. Solid had their kit in the Cat booth at Haydays. It is being tuned for the 600, and there is very little changes expected for the 858 other than tuning.

Premium Features