• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Pretty neat that gauge can be added plug-and-play to this year's Catalyst sleds as an accessory.

SnoWest dropped this talking about the development of the 858. Sounds like it was supposed to be the flagship engine in the Catalyst from the start, but lots of circumstances pushed it back.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

More info on the new Garmin gauge, looks like it should be a solid option for those who want that.

It is a HUGE bummer that this gauge does not communicate with the Polaris 7S or work in Canada. Paying for a gauge that only does the group ride with a hand full of riders, seems like waste! It looks cool though :)

All 3 Mfgs need to come up with a plan that allows ALL brands to communicate with each other using the group ride feature. Trying to be "exclusive" just doesn't make sense anymore. Hopefully Cat will do some upgrades on this in the future.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
It is a HUGE bummer that this gauge does not communicate with the Polaris 7S or work in Canada. Paying for a gauge that only does the group ride with a hand full of riders, seems like waste! It looks cool though :)

All 3 Mfgs need to come up with a plan that allows ALL brands to communicate with each other using the group ride feature. Trying to be "exclusive" just doesn't make sense anymore. Hopefully Cat will do some upgrades on this in the future.
Its on purpose. Initially for say Polaris to do it, it gives people another "reason" to buy a certain brand. They are all using legal channels/signals for their transmitting and location sharing, no reason all 3 can't communicate together at this point for safety. I'm sure down the road one of them will and say hey we are good guys in the name of safety we will let anybody connect now!.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Its on purpose. Initially for say Polaris to do it, it gives people another "reason" to buy a certain brand. They are all using legal channels/signals for their transmitting and location sharing, no reason all 3 can't communicate together at this point for safety. I'm sure down the road one of them will and say hey we are good guys in the name of safety we will let anybody connect now!.
Imagine if all the beacon manufacturers chose different frequencies... :rolleyes:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Polaris and Cat are using different frequencies already.

That's why these gauges cant communicate with each other.

Totally agree, that for safety reasons, they should all stop this silliness and use the same frequency, at least for the group ride feature!!

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Is the new cat gauge a garmin or made by garmin? If so, garmin is very proprietary and likely will not open things up to communicate. Maybe it’ll function with a Rino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Nov 6, 2009
It would be nice if you were riding with some polari they could put an app on their phone so they could be in your group and you vice versa....

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
It would be nice if you were riding with some polari they could put an app on their phone so they could be in your group and you vice versa....

You can do the opposite. If you have friends with the 7s. Download the ride command app. That will track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
You can do the opposite. If you have friends with the 7s. Download the ride command app. That will track.
The ride command phone app requires cell service to communicate with the 7S in a group ride situation, so no worky in the mountains, unfortunately :(

The info i was able to find says the Cat gauge uses MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) frequencies (151 – 154 MHz spectrum range), so will be weak on range (much like FRS and GMRS channels are), and will not work in Canada for some reason.

The Polaris 7S uses the 2.4 GHz frequencies.

A GHz is a thousand times faster than a MHz, and has greater range.

I am not sure why Cat went with garmin on this, but maybe time will tell . . .?

Premium Features