• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

R
Feb 26, 2008
I got to play with the prototype buddy tracking several years using the garmin setup. We had little medallions you could hand out to non gauge users and you could still track them.

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
The ride command phone app requires cell service to communicate with the 7S in a group ride situation, so no worky in the mountains, unfortunately :(

The info i was able to find says the Cat gauge uses MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) frequencies (151 – 154 MHz spectrum range), so will be weak on range (much like FRS and GMRS channels are), and will not work in Canada for some reason.

The Polaris 7S uses the 2.4 GHz frequencies.

A GHz is a thousand times faster than a MHz, and has greater range.

I am not sure why Cat went with garmin on this, but maybe time will tell . . .?
Generally lower frequencies have further range.....

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
That makes no sense to me. The 2.4Ghz frequencies are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Seems Poo would use that for phone connection/updates, but use murs for buddy tracking, same as Garmin. I believe Wi-Fi range is significantly less than murs...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
That makes no sense to me. The 2.4Ghz frequencies are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Seems Poo would use that for phone connection/updates, but use murs for buddy tracking, same as Garmin. I believe Wi-Fi range is significantly less than murs...
Lower frequency can bend around objects better and higher frequency acts more like a beam of light where shadows are a problem. You can still pack a lot of power into a high frequency RF signal but it may not go far if stuff is between the transmitter and receiver.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The thread title is catalyst 858, yet here we are talking about am/fm radio waves. Come on kids, back on topic ffs haha. Mods, can you tidy up this thread? Cheers

Last edited:
G
Mar 29, 2016
I found it interesting that Cat partnered with Front Range Powersports at the Rocky Mountain Powersports Expo (the Denver Snowmobile Show). They said that they were trying to rebuild some dealer relations. They had a 600 Catalyst there and an 858 without any exhaust. I'm sure I didn't notice much but my impressions from walking around were:
  • The hood on the 600 was constantly being removed. If it's not broke yet, it should be a pretty decent setup.
  • The composite running boards felt normal under my tennis shoes. No unnatural flex.
  • When trying to lift it up to see how heavy it was, it felt very light. Upon further study, the suspension was set up so that the front of the track took a majority of the weight and would act like a pivot point causing the light feeling. I don't know if it had a longer limiter strap than the Ascender, and I forgot to look at where the suspension was mounted. This was the case with both sleds.
  • The spindles are tucked in very close to the front shocks. The distance from the lower a-arm at the spindle to the ground was similar to the nearby Ascender. Meaning that I didn't notice much of an "elevate" type spindle.
  • And finally, there was mention of some track modifications being studied with the 858. The 858 was sitting on a 2.6" track, but the engineer said that he liked riding the 3" track better.
They did have the new gauge on display and it was powered up. It looks like a big phone. I didn't mess with it much as there aren't many Cat's in my riding group.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
AC had the sleds at the Edmonton sled show I can tell you they are light and easy to pull over. By far the easiest to pull over as I did compare to other sleds. They feel right when you stand or sit just a nice sled. I talked with Andy Bevis and he was fantastic answered all the questions and explained everything in detail. I do find it interesting that the 858 has no exhaust I am thinking there is something that they don't want the competition to see. Same reason the weight is not being released, Andy did say their goal was to be the lightest and they are on track to get there. One interesting fact is for these engines to reach full power is 1000 miles or more. They will be offering 4 different gearing packages but one is for the 600 only. So 3 choices for the 858. These sleds are going to work great they have done to many things right for them not too. I know how my Alpha compares to the other 850's, now with 30-40 less lbs and 11 % more power and it will have superior handling this is going to be a fun sled. Andy did also mention that building production Catalysts is starting Monday Oct 16 with the 858 to follow in November sometime for the demo sleds.

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
One thing I forgot to mention is the eccentric on the belt drive only moves around 0.050 of an inch, so misalignment is not a concern. Andy also said they have had zero issues with anything to do with the belt drive. The more I listened to Andy the more I liked him he told some good stories he's just a good guy. I was also impressed with AC that he was there and available to talk to everyone. Great job Arctic Cat.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
One thing I forgot to mention is the eccentric on the belt drive only moves around 0.050 of an inch, so misalignment is not a concern. Andy also said they have had zero issues with anything to do with the belt drive. The more I listened to Andy the more I liked him he told some good stories he's just a good guy. I was also impressed with AC that he was there and available to talk to everyone. Great job Arctic Cat.
Regardless of brand there are plenty of examples of things with a claimed "zero issues" history that has developed "multiple issues" within a few weeks of first customer sled delivery. Either OEM:s knowingly cheat on testing or they hire the wrong test riders.

But lets all cross some fingers, or hold thumbs, depending on where you're from, for a smashing success. Regardless of what we ride a, brilliant new model will force a response from the other OEM:s making the future better.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
haha, yah "zero issues". We Polaris guys know how that goes!

There are ALWAYS issues, but good on the Mfgs that address them right away and fix the "zero issues" - - issues. :)

Kinda like the "zero lag" some turbo Mfgs talk about . . . that one always cracks my up. :giggle:

Things that make ya go hummmm. . . :unsure:

I think this is a sharp looking sled and AC has a pretty good history of reliability. I would definitely want to test ride one, given the opportunity.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I don’t know what you guy want they haven’t had any issues. Nobody said it was indestructible and there won’t be any issues they just haven’t had any. Hard to report something that hasn’t happened yet. I know its a machine made by man so something will fail its just a matter of when. I do agree the true test is always the end user. But for now everything is looking pretty good, later this winter demo rides will be available. I will be doing what I can to ride one .

Last edited:

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
Come down to the Utah Snowmobile show this Friday and Saturday. Arctic Cat and Buttars Tractor in Tremonton Utah will have an 858 and 600 Catalyst sleds on display. Hurry up winter!!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Maybe I worded that wrong the break in will be the few hours of extra oil and limited rpm / timing. What ever they do now when you first get your sled. The engine just doesn't reach its full potential until 1000 miles or more. We may be talking a few hp here he didn't say . I don't know if it will be anything you can even feel, his point was the engines are designed for long life. Even the current 800 along with the old Suzuki 800 and as far back as when Suzuki were first introduced in the 1976 Cat the Nikasil engines didn't loosen up until the 500 mile mark or more. The 858 has an improved Nikasil coating design built for longevity hence the reason for the longer time line.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
This sled seems to perform better than the 600 Catalyst videos I've seen, think it's got the 858 under the hood? Looks like a fun sled

Premium Features