• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Catalyst 858

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I guess I'm old fashioned and I can see where the tracking gauge could be useful in some situations where you can't reach your buddy on the radio.
That being said, I was always taught to keep a visual view on your riding partners in case something goes wrong like an avalanche. If you do loose site of your buddy, by reaching them on the radio you can verify if he/she is OK.

Of course radios do have limitations in the mountains, so in this case a tracking gauge could be helpful. Like many things, it is a tool and a rider should be aware of it's limitations by not totally relying on it as the only form of monitoring each other. Sometimes there is no substitute for visual and verbal communication.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Does anyone have any intel on the stainless steel exhaust on the 858? Is it for weight loss,durability,heat disapation, so it doesn’t rust all of it???

sksnopro

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2009
sask,Canada
I have a Garmin Tread installed on my Riot X. The Treads do track each other as well as anyone that has the Tread app on their phone. I haven't used it much because of the garbage snow this year but have some insight on how it works.
For group tracking you need to have cell service, you create a group and invite others to join. On the Tread unit I can see where everyone in my group is, it gives you the distance they are away from you and updates every 5 sec, I believe you can have upto 15 riders in a group.
Without cell service it is just a GPS map. For the areas I ride I have downloaded detailed maps just like on Google maps, Garmin calls it Birds Eyeview. It isn't like the polaris screen this is way more detailed where you can zoom in and see an actual satellite image of the terrain you are in. You are able to lay down tracks and mark way points, there are a ton of features on these things.
I'm not a 100% sure but I think what the Canadian riders are missing out on with the G8 gauge is the capability of group ride "without" cell service, i would assume the rest of it would work just like the Garmin Tread does now.

20240103_204004.jpg Snapchat-1492140750.jpg

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I have a Garmin Tread installed on my Riot X. The Treads do track each other as well as anyone that has the Tread app on their phone. I haven't used it much because of the garbage snow this year but have some insight on how it works.
For group tracking you need to have cell service, you create a group and invite others to join. On the Tread unit I can see where everyone in my group is, it gives you the distance they are away from you and updates every 5 sec, I believe you can have upto 15 riders in a group.
Without cell service it is just a GPS map. For the areas I ride I have downloaded detailed maps just like on Google maps, Garmin calls it Birds Eyeview. It isn't like the polaris screen this is way more detailed where you can zoom in and see an actual satellite image of the terrain you are in. You are able to lay down tracks and mark way points, there are a ton of features on these things.
I'm not a 100% sure but I think what the Canadian riders are missing out on with the G8 gauge is the capability of group ride "without" cell service, i would assume the rest of it would work just like the Garmin Tread does now.
Do you know what happens with intermittent cell service? If a guy just has the app on his phone or your phone(think you have to pair the gauge with your phone) and looses service does it dump the whole thing? Show last location? Pick back up again without logging in or jumping through hoops if you pick up cell signal again?

Dont the tread devices also use radio so even no cell signal they work with limited range?

I have a montana garmin and do like the map overlay.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Does the 600 have a can temp sensor? This is a picture I borrowed off fakebook, from a test ride of the green prototype in IP today.

IMG_2218.jpeg

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Mine does not have that probe.
I wonder if it is for the R&D giys in the pre production sleds?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Mine does not have that probe.
I wonder if it is for the R&D giys in the pre production sleds?
I was wondering the same. The pictures with the hood off were deleted from the fakebook post. I commented they were missing an exhaust spring, must not have liked the call out....:ROFLMAO:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The exposed pipe, the venting pushes a ton of air which I really like but there is still a lot of heat. The hood glove box has holes and it is like an oven, I think it would melt a chocolate bar on a cold day. Not to mention warm and cold spots on a pipe :)

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I know some of you don't care... but Muskoka Freerider said he ordered a Cat. It'll be fun to see some good content of it next season. Should be great for Cat if he likes it.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Which video was that? I watch all his stuff but didn't see him mention ordering one. I snow-checked mine two days ago; super excited to see how it compares to my Khaos... whether or not I'll sell it or just have two sleds. I have a feeling the Khaos will go away.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Which video was that? I watch all his stuff but didn't see him mention ordering one. I snow-checked mine two days ago; super excited to see how it compares to my Khaos... whether or not I'll sell it or just have two sleds. I have a feeling the Khaos will go away.
I never heard that either, but doubt that he wouldn’t do it because that’s how he rolls and it’s awesome.

Premium Features