• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

They have always been bad. My 14 freespooled, dealer was out of them for warranty replacement, I took mine apart, cleaned out the plastic flashing and crap grease, regreased with synthetic and it was perfect the rest of the year.

I had my 15 T3 recoil replaced under warranty. The stock recoil never let me down but was not retracting when it got warm. We put a couple of layers of heat reflective tape on the replacement recoil and I havent had an issue since.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-1...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0VT6GPPCBWFZ5BF9AER0

is the composite recoil cover transferring too much heat?
don't remember my xm having a cover like that although plenty had recoil issues too. my exhaust sensor was tight, but tore down just to be sure.:face-icon-small-hap
is there a good reason to keep the shield between the pipe
and can?

Got my first 100 km on my 8 fiddy and I have no real complaints.

I was riding in 8 to 10 feet of powder today and yes I did get stuck but the sled blew my mind on how well it worked in that much snow. I just checked my belt after about 70 super hard KM today and just some light dust.

Few pics

cbd4d20131a474fc554ee28dc13d086c.jpg

eaff888a97dcb644271b72fbb513e9e3.jpg

Of course the Axys could not follow the Doo

b8024fe3a0bbbb21118ab54f343d44db.jpg

e90ba8bbf63992282418f8aa8c274be7.jpg

seems that plastic may not be the best material to make a recoil starter pawl from.....

The recoils get too much grease sometimes from the factory. Most of the time all that is required is to pull it off or have the dealer pull it off and clean out the grease. Then it works perfectly. Since the internal parts use some friction to engage the mechanism.

Got my first 100 km on my 8 fiddy and I have no real complaints.

I was riding in 8 to 10 feet of powder today and yes I did get stuck but the sled blew my mind on how well it worked in that much snow. I just checked my belt after about 70 super hard KM today and just some light dust.

Few pics

cbd4d20131a474fc554ee28dc13d086c.jpg

eaff888a97dcb644271b72fbb513e9e3.jpg

Of course the Axys could not follow the Doo

b8024fe3a0bbbb21118ab54f343d44db.jpg

e90ba8bbf63992282418f8aa8c274be7.jpg

That is what we want to here!!!

Great pics also

seems that plastic may not be the best material to make a recoil starter pawl from.....

The 1000's had a cast aluminum pawl.

SHR has been ordering and selling this recoil for many years as replacement for the plastic pawl. Not sure if this recoil will fit the new 850, or if you can just put the cast pawl in the existing recoil.

So now that the Canadian drama is gone....

...so back on track. There are 2 known blown belts, both riders were in Revy, one had the egt sensor backed out, the other was ALMOST backed out... if you don't mind me asking, what was the weight of each rider?

...the recoils seem to have either 1) too much grease in them, or 2) need metal pawls...

...coolant bottle needs to be moved on e start sleds...

...there is a rumor of 2 being towed out of Hart's Pass (out of Wintrop WA) on Saturday...

...the rest of the reviews seem to be VERY positive!

Ace

I was shown this post about all the "issues" two days ago, it bummed me out. I told my dealer about it, he wanted all the info. After reading the whole thread to today, I think I jumped the gun to get worried. I was actually thinking of keeping some of my T3 sleds and bailing on one of the 850 rigs. Anyone who is unhappy with their 850, I have two 16 low mile T3 sleds for sale/trade!

Reactions: rkm
I have 3 days on the 850 now and I'm loving it. The front of the boards could have some more traction but that is a very minor complaint and so far I'm not missing the toe hooks but I would like to try a set. The power and throttle response of this motor really puts a smile on my face.

3 brand new 850s about to hit the snow in blue river. Will report back tonight my thoughts vs the previous 174.

I took the foam off the clutch cover, lol that's like wearing a blanket in the sauna. Also heat reflective taped the recoil. Had problems with my can and t3 recoil from heat, the tape solved it.

Yes lets keep this thread back on topic guys...I am 205lbs in street clothes...have been riding since 1995, rode 40 days last season and ride revy at least once a month. The local snow isn't deep enough yet for a true test...will be heading back to revy in the next couple weeks....will see how round two goes.

some of the skidoo revy riders have mentioned a trim of the bottom of the plastic belt cover which im going to look into....anyone have a good pic of this mod?

The 850 is a huge step above a T3 IMO...no worries there, had another bud ride his for the first time yesterday and his first thoughts were he loved what he felt, so did the other T3 rider who tossed a leg over it.

Yes lets keep this thread back on topic guys...I am 205lbs in street clothes...

...so weight of the rider wasn't part of the equation. Have you put a straight edge on your clutches? With a ton of them being ridden the last week, and only 2 reports of blowing belts, hopefully this is an isolated incident, and something simple will pop up as the culprit!

Ace

It's total rider error. There isn't a belt alive that Thistledorf couldn't grenade, I've seen it first hand. lol

Somebody please tell me they archived the "Thistledorf" pic, I've scoured all my old pics and unfortunately that one slipped away somehow.

Back to the OP (thistledo), it would be interesting to get the belt manufacturers analysis of why the belt failed. If you haven't already done so ask the dealer to return the belt to BRP and have them give you a report on why it failed? (high temp. possible miss alignment, manufacturing defect in belt etc). Back in 2008? there were a bunch of early belt failures and these were all replaced on warranty as well as older stock that we had purchased were exchanged for new ones. In anycase you may get a free belt?
BRP should be interested in tracking the early belt failures to make sure they are not related to the 850 Summit only.
These new summits have limited air flow in the front(may be easily plugged with wet powder snow) and a lot of sound deadening material under the hood which may contribute to higher than expected underhood temperatures under high load conditions like deep wet powder. JMO

I lost multiple recoils on my XP, one in warranty the rest out, I started rebuilding them with the pawl out of a 1000 which lasted longer, I finally ordered a all aluminum recoil from a machine shop in Minnesota I believe and never had a issue again. Still working to this day'

P.S. yes I had heat tape on all the stock recoils and it didn't mater which can I was running.

I hope its a isolated issue on the G4 I will be putting some heat barrier tape on my G4 4 just to be safe.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back