• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

Is the 6t driver close to the same dia of the 7t of the T3?

post-4800-0-93389400-1480307009.jpg

G4 ride report from Revy. Conditions are still incredible with 2-3ft of relatively blower snow. If the hot tub wasn't calling my name I would love to do a very critical and detailed report with several things i have not heard mentioned yet but here is a quick brain dump...

Belts are my arch nemesis. I am thrilled to see one last 200-300 miles and carry 3-4 belts with me at all times because 1-2 rides is a typical life expectancy. Sometime I feel like the belt whisperer because I can hear/feel them calling out as soon as cords start to pull. I pull the belt guard and check deflection and belt wear at least a dozen times a day. During the summer I have nightmares of perfect blue bird days with over the hood pow being ruined by belt explosions. Pretty sure I have PTBED (post traumatic belt explosion disorder) from the early days of the 2012 proclimb. Even my T3 with clutch tower brace and floating secondary chewed belts. As a base line Im 180lbs wet and show no mercy. There is no such thing as "cool to the touch" clutches in my world. Stopping to let things cool off is not practical because my buddy on the Axys will just keep going and then I'm getting sloppy seconds. Wide open pulls don't kill belts...endurance tree riding with on and off throttle, constantly going through full range of shift out/scrubbing, and minimal airflow through/plugged vents gets them every time.

So back to the point: I scrubbed the **** out of both clutches pre-ride w brake cleaner/fine scotch bright pad and ran a used belt off my T3 that was broken in but not abused. Out of fuel in 45 miles, oil light on, break in down to 70%. Not the hardest day of riding ever but sleddy was getting a serious work out and under load. My clutches were hot but they were not as hot as what I would of expected. There was visible belt dust but nothing excessive. Deflection loosened slightly over the day. I ripped the felt of the clutch cover and that was is.

In my opinion if there was a fundamental problem with the CVT on the 850 I would of corded multiple belts under these conditions. This was not the case. Who knows I could go scatter four belts tomorrow. I've heard of two more cases of premature belt ejaculation since this thread started. But my initial impression is that the belt munchers have a tolerance/alignment issue or the factory oil/residue on the clutches has not been cleaned or has compromised the belt.

Other quick brain dump from today...

-I did not see any drop in RPM on sustained pulls 7900-8000 on the $ (when I could see the gauge which was almost never because of the fat angle its mountedat = gets covered in snow immediately) Im not bangin rainbows (aka high marking) this is several pitches of varying grade in fresh snow with avg. 1,000ft of vert.

-Backshift is improved.

-In lighter snow the running boards clear Ok up front but the exhaust side gets packed in more due to the heat from the can causing slush. I can see wetter snow clogging them up more.

Low end to mid range throttle response and power is impressive. Grunt/Torque factor was big and really suites my style/terrain we were in.

Top end doesn't "feel" like more than the 800R but its hard to feel it in the seat of your pants like you do the initial torque/acceleration down low. However, sustained track speed wide open lets you know the 850 is there.

The "centered mass" of the new motor is hard to really feel at first. I noticed it the most on downhill and aggressive carves. When your going from one side to the other you can tell the required rider input is balanced.

The overall feel of the new chassis..dipping nearly inverted pow carves you can really feel the profiled panels and reduced drag. The taper of the tank/knee panel area feels good. "nimble" doesn't really do it justice lets just say in floaty deep snow the ease at which you can execute lines with minimal input was muy bueno. I cringe at the excessive wrong foot forward and both feet on one running board syndrome i see all over the hill. So over played when its not necessary. Perhaps people will stop trying to imitate videos and ride this sled appropriately.

Fuel tank really does fill without being burped.

In break in mode oil consumption is signifiant.

Pull started failed early then worked fine after wards. Too much grease?

Condensation inside the gauge. Low oil and fuel is hard to see no more bright red and orange lights, respectively.

New cooler/tunnel seems to work very well. Passed several overheated sleds and would of expected to be running hot and never got over 4 bars. Obviously I don't have air in the coolant system lol....

Last edited:
White Rad, have you ever considered a mesh hood to keep things cooled down?

...thank you for the review!

Ace

tonight i removed the foam(clutch side) and trimmed the bottom corner of the belt guard down by the footwell for a bit better airflow, and the belt guard is very easy to put on now..:face-icon-small-coo

Whiterad that was pretty funny ! Bangin out rainbows LOL. Someone who understands !

I did see a couple more belts under 50km on Snow and Mud.

Last edited:
Reactions: tc
G4 ride report from Revy. Conditions are still incredible with 2-3ft of relatively blower snow. If the hot tub wasn't calling my name I would love to do a very critical and detailed report with several things i have not heard mentioned yet but here is a quick brain dump...

Belts are my arch nemesis. I am thrilled to see one last 200-300 miles and carry 3-4 belts with me at all times because 1-2 rides is a typical life expectancy. Sometime I feel like the belt whisperer because I can hear/feel them calling out as soon as cords start to pull. I pull the belt guard and check deflection and belt wear at least a dozen times a day. During the summer I have nightmares of perfect blue bird days with over the hood pow being ruined by belt explosions. Pretty sure I have PTBED (post traumatic belt explosion disorder) from the early days of the 2012 proclimb. Even my T3 with clutch tower brace and floating secondary chewed belts. As a base line Im 180lbs wet and show no mercy. There is no such thing as "cool to the touch" clutches in my world. Stopping to let things cool off is not practical because my buddy on the Axys will just keep going and then I'm getting sloppy seconds. Wide open pulls don't kill belts...endurance tree riding with on and off throttle, constantly going through full range of shift out/scrubbing, and minimal airflow through/plugged vents gets them every time.

So back to the point: I scrubbed the **** out of both clutches pre-ride w brake cleaner/fine scotch bright pad and ran a used belt off my T3 that was broken in but not abused. Out of fuel in 45 miles, oil light on, break in down to 70%. Not the hardest day of riding ever but sleddy was getting a serious work out and under load. My clutches were hot but they were not as hot as what I would of expected. There was visible belt dust but nothing excessive. Deflection loosened slightly over the day. I ripped the felt of the clutch cover and that was is.

In my opinion if there was a fundamental problem with the CVT on the 850 I would of corded multiple belts under these conditions. This was not the case. Who knows I could go scatter four belts tomorrow. I've heard of two more cases of premature belt ejaculation since this thread started. But my initial impression is that the belt munchers have a tolerance/alignment issue or the factory oil/residue on the clutches has not been cleaned or has compromised the belt.

Other quick brain dump from today...

-I did not see any drop in RPM on sustained pulls 7900-8000 on the $ (when I could see the gauge which was almost never because of the fat angle its mountedat = gets covered in snow immediately) Im not bangin rainbows (aka high marking) this is several pitches of varying grade in fresh snow with avg. 1,000ft of vert.

-Backshift is improved.

-In lighter snow the running boards clear Ok up front but the exhaust side gets packed in more due to the heat from the can causing slush. I can see wetter snow clogging them up more.

Low end to mid range throttle response and power is impressive. Grunt/Torque factor was big and really suites my style/terrain we were in.

Top end doesn't "feel" like more than the 800R but its hard to feel it in the seat of your pants like you do the initial torque/acceleration down low. However, sustained track speed wide open lets you know the 850 is there.

The "centered mass" of the new motor is hard to really feel at first. I noticed it the most on downhill and aggressive carves. When your going from one side to the other you can tell the required rider input is balanced.

The overall feel of the new chassis..dipping nearly inverted pow carves you can really feel the profiled panels and reduced drag. The taper of the tank/knee panel area feels good. "nimble" doesn't really do it justice lets just say in floaty deep snow the ease at which you can execute lines with minimal input was muy bueno. I cringe at the excessive wrong foot forward and both feet on one running board syndrome i see all over the hill. So over played when its not necessary. Perhaps people will stop trying to imitate videos and ride this sled appropriately.

Fuel tank really does fill without being burped.

In break in mode oil consumption is signifiant.

Pull started failed early then worked fine after wards. Too much grease?

Condensation inside the gauge. Low oil and fuel is hard to see no more bright red and orange lights, respectively.

New cooler/tunnel seems to work very well. Passed several overheated sleds and would of expected to be running hot and never got over 4 bars. Obviously I don't have air in the coolant system lol....

great write up...everything you said is bang on.

I looked my sled over last night and had a easy ride on Saturday...significant belt dust again...I feel something is outta whack and will keep digging till I figure it out. My sled in the engine comp looks like its a year plus old but only has 4 rides on it. Will see what the next dump brings but I have my doubts:face-icon-small-dis

3 days in Whistler this past week, really deep. Down to 40% break in. Sled really out climbs the T3's in this deep snow, not even close! Only real complaint so far is the running boards, its not horrible but there is some snow build up there.

Could also use a bit harder back shift, but I will wait for DJ to dial that stuff in!

great write up...everything you said is bang on.

I looked my sled over last night and had a easy ride on Saturday...significant belt dust again...I feel something is outta whack and will keep digging till I figure it out. My sled in the engine comp looks like its a year plus old but only has 4 rides on it. Will see what the next dump brings but I have my doubts:face-icon-small-dis

Thistledoo, have you reached out to your dealer yet? I'm not a betting man, but I would bet a dollar to a doughnut, that you have an alignment issue...

...reminiscent of the 08 xp. I went through a 6 pack of belts in that sled in the first 400 miles. Once the alignment was spot on, didn't put another belt in it for 1500.

Ace

Thistledoo, have you reached out to your dealer yet? I'm not a betting man, but I would bet a dollar to a doughnut, that you have an alignment issue...

...reminiscent of the 08 xp. I went through a 6 pack of belts in that sled in the first 400 miles. Once the alignment was spot on, didn't put another belt in it for 1500.

Ace

my dealer is working on that as we speak...from what I see there is no adjustment at all, can anyone tell me different?

Grab a picture if you can of the belt from secondary to primary looking from above, is there any dogleg in belt.. I had sent LA dealer back in 11 some shims that they installed after it fixed my problem, he dpsaid every one they did it worked.. Sounds like same problem here

Is the running board issue on the x models?

Yes. The front running boards suck on both models because they are identical. The back half that you never ever use is where they are different. Blows my mind on their design. They have these huge snow shovel like protective guards on the bottom side and they are capped with flat sheet metal with absolutely no traction on the top side. I brought this up when I rode one of the proto types. I can't believe this wasn't addressed. Hopefully Skinz Figures it out. The bottom side guards are going to need to be cut and beat in with a hammer to get rid of the large useless flat spot of the stock boards.

I have an 165 X in the garage and the running boards are open at the bottom starting from where your toe touches the front foot area all the way to the back. The boards have vertical risers that provide decent traction for your boots on the outside rail, center support and inside rail. I had similar stock boards on my 2014 163 X XM and would get a bit of build up of snow near the end of the board that was easy to clear. I too rode the prototype in last spring and did not have any concerns in the spring riding conditions. The summit X boards on my 2017 appear to suit my needs completely.

Premium Features

Back