• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

Anymore belts ? I keep hearing more and more belts blowing up ? Is Skidoo giving you free belts as they should ?

Christopher

This is how and why you blow belts on turbo NYTROS! More than one occasion. 200+ hp and 3+ft CO powder is just not nice to belts. It doesn't matter what you are riding. Correct. PAULHARRIS. Not sure how you rode that long and never blew one. Always expected to blow one per 2+ft powder day.

I think you have something bent, probably where your tunnel & bulkhead meet is my thought. My bro's old turbo nytro was perfect for years then he started jumping it, then it started eating belts after that and after Yamaha couldn't find anything wrong with it on three separate occasions he replaced the tunnel and whola, problem solved!! No more belt eating. Yamaha's in my experience don't eat belts for no reason. If you bent rails before there is a good chance you've tweaked it somewhere, doesn't have to be obvious either, as Yamaha couldn't see any issue but IT WAS THERE somewhere.

rode in deep snow yesterday in my stomping grounds and blew 2 belts in 40 miles...same snow I have ridden in for the last 15 years...the 2014X rode right beside me and never missed a beat and his belt looks mint...

please skidoo figure this out....

I've seen over 257 degrees Fahrenheit on mine and that was BEFORE the snow was deep. Nothing lower than 190, so.

Oh and had the alignment checked absolutely perfect. According to Doo measurements...

Temp gun has been out on a job for the past week or so.

I think they put the wrong profile on the curve of the weight. Works good down the trail and not so much on the mountain. Sure wish Skidoo would make the Summit with mountain specific clutching and make the folks who are trying to make it a real sled re-do their clutching from top to bottom. Since these are "Mountain Sleds"

NOT TRAIL SLEDS

Re

I've seen over 257 degrees Fahrenheit on mine and that was BEFORE the snow was deep. Nothing lower than 190, so.

Oh and had the alignment checked absolutely perfect. According to Doo measurements...

Temp gun has been out on a job for the past week or so.

I think they put the wrong profile on the curve of the weight. Works good down the trail and not so much on the mountain. Sure wish Skidoo would make the Summit with mountain specific clutching and make the folks who are trying to make it a real sled re-do their clutching from top to bottom. Since these are "Mountain Sleds"

NOT TRAIL SLEDS
Ski Doo offers high and low elevation clutching for the summits. You should have 967 ramps for high elevation

Ski Doo offers high and low elevation clutching for the summits. You should have 967 ramps for high elevation

Yes, we got all that.

Problem is their "high elevation " is still tailored for the trail in my opinion . Not hard running in powder. Heck not even 6" of powder down a dirt road, the clutch just flat is getting WAY to HOT. Especially since Skidoo advertised quote " 70 F degrees cooler operating temps"

HMMM

Yes, we got all that.

Problem is their "high elevation " is still tailored for the trail in my opinion . Not hard running in powder. Heck not even 6" of powder down a dirt road, the clutch just flat is getting WAY to HOT. Especially since Skidoo advertised quote " 70 F degrees cooler operating temps"

Take your hand off the brake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol...

Anymore belts ? I keep hearing more and more belts blowing up ? Is Skidoo giving you free belts as they should ?

Pulled a cord between 207 and 239 miles. I looked at the belt after every ride.

Tried to ride today with the belt with a pulled cord and blew it at 269 miles. the clutch was so hot burned my hand cleaning the cords out.

Snow today was very set up and not much of a pull.

rode in deep snow yesterday in my stomping grounds and blew 2 belts in 40 miles...same snow I have ridden in for the last 15 years...the 2014X rode right beside me and never missed a beat and his belt looks mint...

please skidoo figure this out....

2 in 40. Were either of them broken in? Or did you blow the first then take a virgin and destroy it? Just curious.
180 miles on mine in what I would consider to be abusive riding, no issues. But I broke my belt in on the first ride.

Found oil in the bottom of the belly below the clutch. Could be part of the issue? Its not much but might have been cleaned up.

after reading this page went out to trailer and ya I found oil same place and while was at it took off foam on clutch side and cardboard stuff in clutch cover , less than 1 mile on machine as I picked it up yesterday and want to ride it today but might be deep pow, also put lnk system so I could carry gas after hearing 1 ran outta gas in 30 some miles. I got a free belt in deal so hope not to have to change it today either. 2013 xm has been great with over 3500 miles and no blown belts but only in deep pow 3 times.

Curious if any felker sleds are having any of these issues?

I talked with him for two hours last night. 70+ sleds out so far and not one has come back blowing belts. We have three felker g4's in our group and no issues. I asked him about clutching and he wouldn't say. I don't blame him at all.

Last edited:
Didnt get my sled from Felkers this year..
:(

But I would bet any issue would be in the secondary.
Im gonna start with
Venting
clean clutches
Adjusted belt,
Check backshift and temp of secondary.
Then...

More pin weight
Stronger secondary spring
Gear down 1 tooth

Hope the clutch pro's dont hold back good info!

Last edited:
Doo hasn't had a good factory clutch setup for years. Put some decent clutching in and I'm sure the belt issue will go away. There is a reason some guys put Polaris clutches on their Doo.

I talked with him for two hours last night. 70+ sleds out so far and not one has come back blowing belts. We have three felker g4's in our group and no issues. I asked him about clutching and he wouldn't say. I don't blame him at all.

If you have three in your group, can't you just look in the clutches to see what's in there. :eyebrows:

If you have three in your group, can't you just look in the clutches to see what's in there. :eyebrows:

I'm to lazy. Lol. I tried looking in the other day but it was dark and in the trailer. Tonight I'm going to do some maintenance so I'll see if I can get a better idea of what's in there.

Three rides, 200 miles, break in @ 52%, no issues. Adjusted the drive chain and belt at 70 miles, both are still good.

The Gen4 is the easiest sled to ride I have ever rode. Glad to have made the jump.

Want a good running sled from a dealer felker has them usually dialed in. Doo could learn much from dealers that set up sleds to ride elevation but they are to arrogant and an engineer knows it all.

Premium Features

Back