• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

Update...I rode the sled today which was day 4....not in revy snow but I did find my check engine issue. The pipe sensor was almost out, hanging on by one thread...so check them boys....

No more belt issues so far but not the snow like in revy, but this sled is so nimble and easy to ride....I hopped back on a 174T3 today and I'm not going back lol....love how balanced it is...if you get a chance to toss a leg over one do it then start saving lol...will see what happens on the next revy trip in a couple weeks....

Update...I rode the sled today which was day 4....not in revy snow but I did find my check engine issue. The pipe sensor was almost out, hanging on by one thread...so check them boys....

No more belt issues so far but not the snow like in revy, but this sled is so nimble and easy to ride....I hopped back on a 174T3 today and I'm not going back lol....love how balanced it is...if you get a chance to toss a leg over one do it then start saving lol...will see what happens on the next revy trip in a couple weeks....

Traction wise how do you think it compares to the 174 climbing? I got a ride on my 154 x3 and hope I didn't make a mistake at the end of the day not going to 165.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I truly dislike the belt guard latch on the front of it - that "L" latch going into the slot can be one bee0tch to get the front of the guard in. I'd rather have some loops and a big cotter pin.

45 miles, burn 3/4 tank, 82% left. Played with adding more pinweight. Foot rails still fill up with snow I gotta kick/heel out.

Other than that....TiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiTs

Joe, what are your thoughts on the clutching, now that you have ridden it? (I know, I know, I opened a can of worms;) )

Ace

So there are 2 accounts of blown belts...Thistledoo and Tward700. Both in Revy, both around the same miles. Interesting to see if Tward700's machine had blown the egt sensor like Thistledoo's...

...the recoil issues sound like a heat issue, with too much heat melting the plastic cogs...

...any other issues out there?

Ace

I will look tomorrow to see if the sensor came loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved my174 but so far no complaints on the 165!

I'm older and can make the odd mistake and get my self outta trouble and ride not shovel lol:face-icon-small-win

got out on mine today. 4 ft of fresh snow burned a full tank. I have a pull start on mine, recoil wouldn't engage a bunch of times but seemed to work better towards the end of the day. Other than that the sled is a beast. So effortless to throw around.

I'm happy Chris switched side:) I'm still happy with the 15 Yamaha after changing a bunch of crap that should of been stock, you do guys are doomed with him:))) I'm in the same camp with 4 sleds and one blown belt:) Cascade Concrete! After starting in 97' don't make me post old pics of the summit of MT B?

Joe, what are your thoughts on the clutching, now that you have ridden it? (I know, I know, I opened a can of worms;) )
Ace
Im using the high elevation ramps with more pivot bolt weight for low elevation here. got a s4it pile of weight collars made for heavying up the pivot bolt. Went to 22.6 gram pivot bolt today.

Buddy, all I can say is a casting together of some thoughts of what i was paying attention to.
The bottom end feels like a XM summit using a 415 start with a 130 start force primary spring.

...ok now once you start going and getting more than say 30mph track speed and full throttle increase to 40~45mph track speed, get on/off the throttle, it feels like stock clutching on an XM summit. I listen to the whirl of the track and have it grunting 7850~7950 rpms but the sound of the whirl of the track does not increase quick. Hooks harder than my bud's 154x, but once getting some track speed on, it feels the same as the older XM stock clutching. (smooth)

Ermm...I think im going to get bored of the response of the clutching once i get more sea legs with the sled. I switch over to my bud's sled (has my kit w/19:51 gears) and the connection between thumb and ground is tighter. You listen to the whirl of his track and it quickly follows your thumb.

Handling though?....oh my Gawd, I can't stop giggling after banging some 180's in a sand pit. Suuuuper good cornering it has on the road to get into the swamps. Doing some wrong foot forward steering on the roads in the corners was much fun - im gonna have a hard time to get to sleep tonight (more wine will help)

Aint got enough snow, 2 feet at the most right now. More on the way. I dunno what else to say.

Last edited:
So there are 2 accounts of blown belts...Thistledoo and Tward700. Both in Revy, both around the same miles. Interesting to see if Tward700's machine had blown the egt sensor like Thistledoo's...

...the recoil issues sound like a heat issue, with too much heat melting the plastic cogs...

...any other issues out there?

Ace
I would have to agree with you Ace about heat being the issue. on the ride in yesterday (40Minutes steady riding) once I stopped my recoil was free spooling. I let it cool down with the side cover open and still couldn't get it to catch then I pulled all the rope out and let it wind back in and it caught. I had to do this a couple of times then it never messed up the rest of the day. I still want to get it fixed

They have always been bad. My 14 freespooled, dealer was out of them for warranty replacement, I took mine apart, cleaned out the plastic flashing and crap grease, regreased with synthetic and it was perfect the rest of the year.

First ride for me on the 850 from rabbit ears, Colorado. yesterday..... 65 miles of road riding.... so far so good on break in.

elevation roughly 10,000 ft. clickers at 4

I did notice my max revs were over the recommended at ~8300. watched revs the rest of the day. Will likely turn down clickers for now until deeper snow.

no issues with recoil, or temp sensor being loose.

The sled feels nimble and strong so far.... at least on the road.

coming from 6k miles on a 2014 xm sp

Hoping for the best on this new chassis.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back