• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who all have had their 800 blow?

count me in for 3 on two diff sleds. 04 went with 2200 miles, just a top end, 06 went with 1700 on it, took thee crank, and then had thermostat stick and cause need for another top end 300 miles later.

03 800 Highmark X PUKED

Went to the Bighorns on 3-27-08, 200" from the cabin my 2003 highmark X with 2445 miles on it broke a piston skirt and took the cases and 1 cylinder and the crankshaft,had too ride a 2002 RMK, guess it was better than sitting in the cabin for 3 days.:face-icon-small-fro

Almost! 01' 800 HMK X. Tore it down because it had 3k miles on her and found the Nikaseal had been worn off the top inch of both cylinders! Anymore, she would have wasted the cylinders. Also had a crank seal going out, I guess if I hadn't jumped the gun and torn her down this past summer, she'd be coming out on a rope this year!

06 summit x went at 1600 miles......just a piston but i needed to get out from where i was or helicopter ride was coming ..... blew parts into crank all that was left was one rod and a worn piston ....crappy yup ..... still 100x better than my yammie turbo that never ran reliable and brp is stepping up after warranty ran out versus yamaha that had every excuse ( dozens ... ) under the sun why it wasnt their products fault and yamaha canada endorses this crap. It's not a cheap sport find a good dealer......... not the one closest to you and get ready to have fun and spend money. btw i have friends that are fiercely loyal to their brands and all have their plusses.... even the cats ( that hurts to say ) and as much as it (really hurts to say the yammie triple 7's will outlast any other 2 stroke .......97-02 engine wise ) but arent 1/4 as much fun ...polaris has some good points too but i refuse to admit them (cant let my friends see me waver ) PS the nytro is a steaming pile of doo doo in more than 3 inches of snow. No matter what find a dealer that cares about its customers as much as its bottom line and you will probably enjoy your product just not nearly as much as a DOO OWNER with a great dealer.My doo dealer rocks where my yamaha dealer was dumber than one. ( dont think you could rip me off a doo even if it was 1/2 price day on other sleds) just IMHO after a years loss of sledding from a bad dealer.

What a jerk!!
Look what this guy that started this thread had to say on the cat thread.

"Well I posted the topic on how many blown Cat motors here and And I posted a simular post on the Doo site for just the 800's. Our topic has faded and the Doo topic is rippin'. The Rev. Mountain chassis might be the best, but it's not much good with out a good motor. Our M sleds are clearly a winner. The XP will not be worth much the way it currently going. I'd like one , but only with a Cat motor."

Owen

My 05 has been awsome great sled 2000 miles however the 07's and 08's the list is long around here i went to a Cat just want to ride, the new Doo's are a mixed bag many not good.

Jerk? You must get a black eye now and then.

Yeah, I was the one to point out the engine failure problem. Go find the Cat post for 7's 8's and 1000 M- sleds. Doo is running 10 to 1. Please don't hate me for that.
My son runs a dyno and has tried to verify the 800 R's horse power claim. He's tried thre motors and they all blew. That's when I started this thred.
What I said on the Cat side is absoultly true, you've got the perfect sled, you need a motor.

Owen

Yeah, I was the one to point out the engine failure problem. Go find the Cat post for 7's 8's and 1000 M- sleds. Doo is running 10 to 1. Please don't hate me for that.
My son runs a dyno and has tried to verify the 800 R's horse power claim. He's tried thre motors and they all blew. That's when I started this thred.
What I said on the Cat side is absoultly true, you've got the perfect sled, you need a motor.

Owen
Hey Owen, I am new to this sleddin game. Is your history with doo 800's blowin up with the 800R or 800 HO or all of em. Just curious when to get rid of it.

2007 xrs159 finally went after 2889 miles. i think it was one of the higher mileage ones though. was hopin to crack 3000 but nadda. well at least it will be a warranty fix huh?

just wanted to say again find a good dealer ............ research them more than the sled because when you find a good one the nightmares become small inconvienences.
Mountain sleds break ...all of them. I'm not going to tell you the brand i ride is the best but with a great dealer its turned a wasted season and 20 thousand dollars of hell into nothing but fun. When you can find a dealer that admits his brands flaws .....not a dealer that blames the flaws on bad riders or bad luck thats step 1.When you can find a dealer that can fix those problems without charging you an arm and a leg thats step 2. Step 3 is having your sled break and actually finding out your dealer bends over backwards getting you up and running again at as low a price and downtime as possible. P.S. no i wont tell you who my dealer is because im greedy and the busier he gets the longer i wait lol. btw Doo gets my vote for fun factor. Enjoy the last few months of riding until we get our 09's.

We bought my wife an '02 800 and it's only got about 1800 miles on it. Blew the rod right out the bottom end . Trashed the whole motor and ski doo says there is nothing they will do. Just bought a new short block. Hopefully it works out ok. Some guys I know at a local shop say that the piston skirts shell off and drop into the crankshaft causing everything to seize up. I'll never buy ski poo again.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back