• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who all have had their 800 blow?

Mine let loose around 4600km, boen stock 07 XRS 159, mag. side main bearing and seal went out and causes mag. cyl. to run lean, burnt up the piston, broke the rod and aluminium went everywhere. long block on the way.

even so i wouldn't ride anything else but a doo.

hey stalefish, have seen car engines do something like that...To big of a nos shot on steel rods will explode conn rods just like that..lol..must of been a heck of a boom when it let go huh?..

is it possible

i have a question: if lets say a 06 Doo 800 (non R) engine piles up...does Doo replace it with a same engine...or does it get a newer R engine???

No they do not and i for one think its an american conspiracy......MY ho blew up (o6 not wife ) and i asked the same question. My dealer stymied his giggling at my naivity and stated that i would have to be rich to even begin to think about the modifications needed.. he hinted a 07 sled with a blown engine would be a good place to start. ( ANYONE with a blown 07 with 5 grand in aftermarkets parts that want to trade straight across im in ) On a more serious note the R's have a 3 year warranty which seems pretty awesome or at least i tell myself as i have ordered an 09 . If you have complaints about ski-doo try buying a Yamaha from the Vernon british columbia area and a set of cross counrty skis will be faster based on uptime.

thats bad

Mine let loose around 4600km, boen stock 07 XRS 159, mag. side main bearing and seal went out and causes mag. cyl. to run lean, burnt up the piston, broke the rod and aluminium went everywhere. long block on the way.

even so i wouldn't ride anything else but a doo.

4600 KM .... 3600 LONGER than my turbo yamaha and probably 50 times the fun. One question what kind of job allows you to put that kind of km on a 2007.... and how can i get your job short of you being a gay **** star or politician. 4600 km and warranty nice.

yeah earlyer in the day it quit on me just as i was carving in some pow and i thought that i had pulled my teather or somthing before pulling on the rope o moved the primary back and forth and it felt free so 2 pulls of the rope and away it went. rode for the rest of the day thinking nothing of it, then we were way out in the back of owls head and my buddy jumpd on my sled to pull a good sized hill to help get his uncle unstuck. he came back down and didnt tell me that it wouldn't idle when he got to the top, i jumped back on and was riding pretty hard climbing and boondocking around then she started running pretty shatty. shut it off and went to pull the rope and about half a turn and she was tight. played with the primary and got it loose and got it running with alot of squeeking and scratching sounds. decided that best bet would be to drive it until she pop's and we weren't in good place to be towing a sled out so i started going and a few times it felt like it was goin to lock right up, flip of half choke and kept on goin. made it out from morton lake and up through super bowl and over skinny ridge back to the owls head cabin. at this point it still seemed running allright, noisy but still had good power and was still hitting 8300-8400 rpm in the pow. decided that i dont just want a new crank put in might as well go out in style so rode the goonies out of it slowly making our way back to the truck. finally about 2km from the truck it starts getting really loud and rpms drop from about 7000k down to 6200ish and the it lets loose, white smoke from the anit-freeze everywhere and a green trail behind me. as i slowly came to a stop at about 3000rpm it seem'd to free up after a loud knock and it was even idling! took the belt off and tow'd it back to the truck, showd all my buddies the aluminium in the engine bay and 3 pulls it fires up and i rode it onto the sled deck on one Cyl! its a 400cc single elan now lol

n596200303_2544048_3487.jpg

n596200303_2544049_3867.jpg

n596200303_2544050_4202.jpg

n596200303_2544052_4941.jpg

this is what i found in the pipe!!! top of the conn. rod

n596200303_2544051_4560.jpg

Last edited:
4600 KM .... 3600 LONGER than my turbo yamaha and probably 50 times the fun. One question what kind of job allows you to put that kind of km on a 2007.... and how can i get your job short of you being a gay **** star or politician. 4600 km and warranty nice.

i am a diesel mechanic apprentice and i do work for people on the side, still in high school, i bought my sled in early nov. 2007 with just over 1,100 miles ( 1800km) on it and now its just over 2,800 miles (4600km) so 2800km on that sled and probably annother 3-400km on the other sleds in the stable.

i live about 20 minutes from owls head and hunters range and queest and 35mins from blue lake, an hour to revy.

yeah it was a good season.

Another useless post by graveler.

Thats pretty impressive to get 4600KM on a "R" motor. Got 2600miles on my H.O and still goin strong with only goin through 1 belt :)

Stalefish... you seem to live in the perfect place that i think anyone would have envy of. Being a hr from revy and even closer to Owls head. The old lady is goin to skool in Kelowna and everytime i drive by revy/sic makes makes my wanna check out 1 of those for sale signs!

jord the more i think about how bad that thing blew im so happy it didnt blow on me when i was helping my uncle who basicly couldnt walk cuz of that drop he hit crashed on earlier. oh and dont lie jord you love the kittys haha. ARCTIC CAT!!!!

All the blown doos especally X-p's scared me off :(lota doe($) to shell just to have yellow shorts and be plagued with problem all year winter is to good to miss.
However my 05 has been good but around here i feel like the lone ranger just livin rite i guess.
Bought an 08 M-8 took a day to get the feel now I wouldn't go back ... :eek:got my buddies on their X-ps supprised..:D
me too.:D
Being to brand loyal just dont make much since when it comes to sleds. :confused:

Winter is just to short don't buy a lemon no pun intended :)
God is awsome try it.

All the blown doos especally X-p's scared me off :(lota doe($) to shell just to have yellow shorts and be plagued with problem all year winter is to good to miss.
However my 05 has been good but around here i feel like the lone ranger just livin rite i guess.
Bought an 08 M-8 took a day to get the feel now I wouldn't go back ... :eek:got my buddies on their X-ps supprised..:D
me too.:D
Being to brand loyal just dont make much since when it comes to sleds. :confused:

Winter is just to short don't buy a lemon no pun intended :)
God is awsome try it.

Agreed :) owned 2 REV's, both not very long at all. Owned a few poo's, and fell on cats the last few years. Brand loyalty is ignorant. Especially if you keep going back to a skidoo:confused: they treat there customers like crap

yeah it realyl coems down to what color you like, i've rode mostly kitty's and this season was my first real ride time on a REV. i used to make fun of the doo's and their problems but after putting soem serious ride time on my summit the M8's just dont do it for me. no doubt they are a nice sled, just my personal preferance stears towards yellow.

Cross your fingers!

07 summit 800 crank went 1800km. Crank failures should be fixed. Engines are now in stock at BRP. They were back ordered because Doo recalled the new and the rebuilt engines that they had in stock to make sure all the cases were clearenced right.

Unreliable?

After reading some of the posts on this thread I started to second guess things. Here is my experience so far.

04-Summit Adrenaline 144- 791 miles (bought it new, sold it to get an X)

05-Summit X 144- 4304 miles (bought it new, still have it- got chrome rings at 1250 mi.)

03.5 Summit 144- 4130 miles (Bought it from a friend with 3500 miles as a backup sled. sold it with 4130)

07-Summit x 144- 846 miles (sold it- never got the clutching right)

06-Summit X 151- 2944 miles (bought it with 1780 miles sold it with 2944)

08-Summit XP 154- 465 miles (bought it on March 15th)

Thats something like 13500 miles without an engine failure. I don't know if I should be too proud that I have sled in my garage that runs strong with 3000 miles on a top end....I should order some pistons and rings asap.

on my 08 the engine didn't blow, but the throttle stuck wide open, which caused it to hit a tree....totalled the sled, and ski-doo does nothing....250 miles on a new sled that was totalled and there's not one person with any honesty or integrity in the whole damned organization.....i wouldn't crap in the street if they were starving to death....so ski-doo, if you don't want to honor your warranty, don't come south of the border to sell your junk

Premium Features

Back