• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help Me Convert from Doo -> Poo

S
Mar 29, 2022
Bend, Oregon
Doo rider here with a blown up XP who wants to get on a "newer" POO to keep progressing in my technical riding. I cannot justify the expense of a newer Matryx or even something within warranty. I am looking at a '16+ Axys. Some questions are below:

- How does this motor compare to the new 850 and the old 800? I have a few buddies whose 850s grenaded this season with low miles, seems like Polaris dealers are just ready for this and can swap a motor in a week. Probably is part of their business model, give a 3 year warranty and assume the average person doesn't put over 500 miles/season on their sled.

- Maintenance access, I work on my sleds, is the Axys serviceability better than the older XP Doos? Those things were a PITA to access anything on.

- Buying/selling sleds each season vs just installing a new motor when they blow? Anyone got any insights into the economics of this. I get attached to my machines but am starting to think is makes the most sense to just

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I like the 850 more than the 800 but both are good motors. The 800's are harder on primary clutches as they hit very hard compared to the 850. If you want an 800, try and get the newer 2018+ because Polaris improved the thermostat, exhaust valves and a few other items. My 19 with the 850 was the best sled I ever owned but some guys had issues mostly due to early assembly issues. Also the 2019 gets the narrow ski stance too.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Lets see, I own a Pro, not an AXYS (yet), but having rode and been around both, I've got some answers.

I'd personally give 800 HO the edge over the 850, the downsides being it's got a more finicky TPS setup and motor mounts that need to be replaced more often. Both are great motors if they're put together right, and can go thousands of hard miles; in both cases, the issues boil down more to suppliers and spotty QC. The nice thing about the 800 is it's got a better crankshaft and runs a little smoother. It's not the most bulletproof, but it's worlds better than the Dragon/Pro 800.

One of the biggest advantages of Polaris is they're the easiest sled to work on. I'd only tinkered with old junk until my Pro ate a piston, but it was a surprisingly simple to tear it down and put it back together. Not much changed in the transition to the AXYS.

Polaris sleds are harder to find a motor to swap in, but that's more of a show-stopper on a Pro than AXYS. If it's just a top end (and AXYS sleds don't usually eat the bottom end), typically you get the block welded and plated, and throw in new pistons for $1500 or so. If you're lucky, it's just pistons and you can clean/hone the block and go. All in all, the AXYS is a great choice if it falls in line with your budget. Most problems are fixable, and anything you don't like about the handling can be changed around with aftermarket stuff. A Doo is more likely to be pull and go, but even Pros are pretty reliable once they're sorted. Given that you've got experience wrenching on sleds, I think you'd have no problems figuring out and would be happy with an AXYS.

Last edited:

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The Axys will hang with any of the new iron. I'd lean toward the 850 for the power, motor mounts, and react front suspension mentioned above. But, the 800 rides a bit lighter. Find one in great shape and let it rip. Will be a big step up in handling vs the XP in my opinion. Plenty were sold so the selection and price should be right.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Find an Axys Chassis to ride for a weekend and you’ll be sold. The handling is heavenly and predictable. I would look for ‘19 or newer 850, they are easier on belts because of a superior motor mount system. The easiest way to maintain one is to make sure you replace the pistons every 1800 miles and they will run a long long time. If you find a clean low mileage 800 do the same. The 800 revs quicker and is really fun to ride, but the 850 pulls a wee bit harder and is less finicky at elevation.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Axys is good, even better with a 36" front end. I would try to find a 2018 or newer 800. My 2016 had some little electrical gremlins, mostly resolved with new sealed relays. My dad has a 2017 still and it has had constant electrical issues even after replacing relays. My cousin has a 2018 and it has been much better and consistently runs good. 2018 thermostat also helps them run cooler. If I were getting an 800 axys, this is what I'd want/do to it:

1) 2024 Polaris reversible ice scratchers. They work awesome. Huge difference from regular scratchers.
2) Replace QD hardware right away, and replace every 1000 miles. Torque properly. Two of the Axys in my family had the bolts fail. Cheap insurance against getting stranded somewhere
3) 36" front end (if it doesn't already have it). I liked the Alternative Impact set I put on mine.
4) SLP stage 2 kit. Drops weight, and gives noticeable power gain. I was super disappointed in the power of my 800 until I did the stage 2, it was a great improvement.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Where do you live and what is your budget? The axys chassis is way better than any skidoo chassis, you’ll love it! I’ve had a number of axys 800 and 850’s. If you can find a good low mile 850 in your budget I’d do it, but not 100% necessary. Getting something with a 36” front end will be a huge plus.

S
Mar 29, 2022
Bend, Oregon
Where do you live and what is your budget? The axys chassis is way better than any skidoo chassis, you’ll love it! I’ve had a number of axys 800 and 850’s. If you can find a good low mile 850 in your budget I’d do it, but not 100% necessary. Getting something with a 36” front end will be a huge plus.

I am in Bend, OR. There is definitely a "Bend tax" here for sleds so I am looking at bordering states too. I think I am sold on the Axys chassis :) sounds like bottom ends aren't a big failure point except with the new 850s. Top end interval doesn't sound bad either!

S
Mar 29, 2022
Bend, Oregon

Who would you say is too many miles for an 800 and too many miles for an 850 used? Is there and ideal mileage to be over just to get past any odd assembly defects that might blow a motor early on?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Find an Axys Chassis to ride for a weekend and you’ll be sold. The handling is heavenly and predictable. I would look for ‘19 or newer 850, they are easier on belts because of a superior motor mount system. The easiest way to maintain one is to make sure you replace the pistons every 1800 miles and they will run a long long time. If you find a clean low mileage 800 do the same. The 800 revs quicker and is really fun to ride, but the 850 pulls a wee bit harder and is less finicky at elevation.
Replace pistons every 1800 miles for the 850???

C
Nov 29, 2008
Almost 4000 miles on my 16 and still runs strong. 11" chopped with a 36" front end, pro pulleys and QS3 shocks all round and replaced track two seasons back. Keep belt deflection in check and let it warm up and all's good....
Only small issue to date has been the coolant pipe rub leak on last ride ...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N3mpc6vmMKNy7fdx8

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Can’t go wrong with an axys sled. Love mine. Boondocker sidekick, cut tunnel and bunch of lightweight parts…..smiles all day long 🚀

IMG_3375.jpeg IMG_3372.jpeg

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I had one go 2700 before it went down, another went 1900 before the ring retaining pin fell out. A friend of mine lost his 850 at 1920 miles with a ring rotation also. It looks to me that 1800 miles is the right time for a swap if ridden hard in mountain terrain. The motor I had that went 2700 was trail ridden for about 500 miles of its life.

Premium Features