• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who all have had their 800 blow?

blown 800

got mine back from dealer, rode yesterday, everything seems fine, no complaints except for the 3 weeks of riding I lost while waiting for the engine from ski doo in canada to ship,.....

wifes still running goooooood.... Tick tock Tick tock

How many of you guys with blown engines, blew a belt or two prior to the engine cratering?

I think it pretty hard on the motor to blow a belt when you have it pinned. After blowing a few it not to hard to recognize the sound and stop before it lets go.

Also I think having the XP chain tensioner being a PITA resulting in having a loose chain is hard on the shafts.

I think it pretty hard on the motor to blow a belt when you have it pinned. After blowing a few it not to hard to recognize the sound and stop before it lets go.

Also I think having the XP chain tensioner being a PITA resulting in having a loose chain is hard on the shafts.

Hopefully those "few" don't take the crank out.

How is the belt guard and bodywork handling the blown belts?

blue marble eh...! for the last 12 years of riding..i've only bought the cheapest 2 stoke oil i could find! never lost an engine or had pistons suffer from using it! even on my new xp i dont use thier recommended oils...go figure!

I lost a motor to Blue Marble, motor had 2000 miles on it, dealer said it looked like 6000 from lack of lubricant doing its job, can't believe all the positive press this oil gets, even shops shpos telling stories of tearing motor down and inspecting them, when I hear this I question the credibility of the shop, you don't hear much about people losing motors on other oils, but alot with BM

99 xc 500 3000 miles, no engine problems (1st sled)
99 600 RMK 5600 miles, no engine problems
01 XC 800 long tracked to 144, 3600 miles no engine problems
Then the big brand switch, I loved polaris but they were not competitive.
04 summit 8 1400 miles when stolen, no engine problems(still don't know what happend to that bad boy, I hope the engine exploded on him...carmas a *****)
05 summit 8 1800 miles, top end went, new jug and pistons, having signs of letting go again. It has a hard time idleing and I have to keep turning up the clickers to pull correct R's. Still think its worth riding the doo's. You guys have any suggestions on what I should do to prevent a second meltdown? Compression check, take off head and take a look, and-or take off y-pipe and take a look at pistons? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

2006 800x, 2100kms, pto side crank bearings locked up, spewed shrapnel at piston and jug, needless to say, drop in engine, no warranty( over in time)

06 aden with 2700 miles pin pushed in on PTO side ring spun took out cylinder. Happened 4 days before warenty was up getting 2 new pistons 1 new jug and a new crank. Deal really stood at the plate for me.

Back on my old reliable 600 again - '07 X waiting for it's second back ordered short block... Gosh this is fun...:(

Warranty Warning!!

My 07 X had to be towed out last week .Dealer got to look at it today 9 days later,turns out ONLY LONG BLOCK AND CLUTCH ARE COVERED SECOND YEAR electrical failure,$100 an hour,hope they help me out.Thought I had a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty.Be aware!!!:(

Well the second ride after I posted I had no problems in this thread, I lost the motor. Ive got zero compression in the mag side cylinder at about 1650 miles. Ah well, at least it didnt require a tow and its still under warranty.

This thread is why I bought a TNT with the 500SS (10 mm shorter stroke than 8's) engine and am longtracking it. Ported the engine mild (195 degrees exhaust duration compared to 200 + of the 8's) and RKTeK head should be 115 HP and still very reliable. Put sled on weight loss program and when I get it done full wet weight should be about 450 lbs or near 80 lbs lighter than a 154 X full wet. The fun factor on this sled should be a blast and it will have the same flotation on the track even with the little 16 X 137 compared to the 154 X but the front end being about 40 to 50 lbs lighter than 154X with the same size skis will float a bunch better.

For a very long time I have said to myself even if I got a 800 for free I wouldn't ride it, I'd sell it and get something else. The main reason is purely mechanical design based, the stroke on the 8's is just to long and the pistons are just to heavy and the rpm is way to high for the previous two to make an engine that will live.

For you old time riders like myself that rode the Phazer mtn sleds what would you have given for a phazer that had double the liquid HP and 55 lbs lighter and a suspension plus a 16 X 137 X 1.75 track instead of 15 X 136 X 1.5?
You would have thought you'd died and gone to heaven!!!

Good Luck

:eek:
check mine out...
07 800r xrs, 9xx miles...no more blue marble for me...

CIMG1046.jpg

CIMG1047.jpg

it was entirely too dry in the bottom end...who knows...

Looks like it got really hot in there. Lean condition maybe?? Yikes.
:eek:

It's the crank bearings silly, not the oil! :beer;
Bearings get tight - pistons get slapped - no oil in the world will prevent that...

Premium Features

Back