• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS check / adjust step by step.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just did mine. What a pia to get to the idle screw. I had an issue last weekend when it wouldn't idle when started in the cold and it would idle lower when started warm. Also, sometimes I needed to crack the throttle a bit to get it to start when warm.

Before:

Base - .730
Idle - .932

After:

Base - .700
Idle - .940

Gonna try it out again this weekend but I suspect there will be an improvement.

I also put dielectric grease in the connectors for the two small relays over the top of the engine. One of them already had a bit of corrosion on the pins.

TTT and 'sticky' now.

Thanks again Eric (SRX)!! This has helped a lot of people.

I feel, after a lot of feedback/questions from other members... that this is a great place to start if your sled is not working well.

As a note... dealer service departments do not do this base line setting procedure as part of their process... if you get the tool-harness... it is easy to do in an evening with the right tools...

In my opinion... worth doing on your sled for peace of mind!!

I heard a rumor that Polaris has new digital wrench specs for the tps. Can anyone verify this, I have been struggling with random 500 rpm drops all season. Had if flashed and powervalves reworked. It ran great for a week but then dropped 500 rpm on me again. It keeps saying the throttle is stuck at wot and shuts off when I put it in reverse. Last time I started it, it would shut off every time I hit the throttle put fire up immediately. Idles fine though.

I called the dealer and they said there is no update. They have been resetting the tps, if that doesn't help then they manually adjust it like written up here. If it runs better with manually adjusting it they replace the tps.

My sled wouldn't idle high enough and had trouble starting. I did the TPS adj in this thread months ago and it made it a lot better. But I still have an issue where my sled only revs up to 8150-8200 even after I dropped weights to 62gr. 163x3 at around 6000ft, stock.

What I notice is that it sometimes bogs/cuts when I hit it to full throttle, whereas if I only go to 90% throttle it never does that. I tried Eth and non-Eth, not much difference. This is with premium fuel (dyed premium most recently).

I also noticed that at 90% throttle it hits say 8150rpm, and then if I feed it the last 10% it stays at 8150rpm and doesn't have any more pull but sounds different. Anyone have an explanation?

I found wires rubbing threw( bad , almost to the the copper ) the wiring harness under the alum water pipe when I did my adjustments , I got a pic but not sure how to post ? ,

I also noticed that at 90% throttle it hits say 8150rpm, and then if I feed it the last 10% it stays at 8150rpm and doesn't have any more pull but sounds different. Anyone have an explanation?

Mine did this from about 80% throttle on up. Changed to the new helix cut from Carls and it went away. Apparently the motor needs to be "loaded" more, and this helix does just that. Worked like a champ :)

I checked my setting at idle, it is .938. Idles well so I don't feel the need to check base voltage unless it starts acting up. My 16 was at .917 when I began checking that one so I did take the time to reset it.

Last edited:
Did mine yesterday due to lack of winter haha it started on second pull before and wondered a bit on idle, perhaps 1-200rpm.

Idle was set at 945 and the bas at 736

reset it to the correct values and it starts everytime on first pull, idles without missing a beat. cant wait for the snow to se how it acts up with the tps setting made and my custom kit from Indy Dan.

Did mine yesterday due to lack of winter haha it started on second pull before and wondered a bit on idle, perhaps 1-200rpm.

Idle was set at 945 and the bas at 736

reset it to the correct values and it starts everytime on first pull, idles without missing a beat. cant wait for the snow to se how it acts up with the tps setting made and my custom kit from Indy Dan.

2016 or 2017?

I just bought a 2016 axys and it will idle for 15-20 seconds (very rough idle) and then die. Is this from the tps being off spec?

I finally got around to doing this tonight. Pretty easy with the turbo, since the air box isn't there. I was able to use a long T handle Allen wrench to adjust the idle screw.

My sled never really idled poorly or had any problems going into reverse, but it always took two pulls to start unless it had just been shut down.

After this adjustment, it fires first pull, and seems to idle smoother.

Thanks again Eric for the nice write up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back