• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Brake stop ride, What is the real issue

mjgiandalia

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 28, 2018
d7841ae36dff6faa773060c49ffe05db.jpg

Updated today

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I'm jealous of all you that have your sleds built and shipped. Mine was scheduled for shipment 12/28 - 01/13.

• Sad
Reactions: SHERMAN
U
Nov 26, 2007
New brake on the 22-23. It has a "softer, more progressive feel" vs. the axys that was more abrupt so you couldn't drag it w/o noticing

So the fix is to choke the motor instead of putting a proper brake on it. Seems like a bandaid . Get ice or something in the lever and it could be problematic all day.

Hope aftermarket comes up with something better

• Wow
Reactions: Adunphy

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Gauntlets fix that. Aftermarket had that figured out long ago. I think Chris runs them now?
I may try an AXYS or Cat master or maybe a larger diameter brake line.
I love my gauntlets! So many pros to them over cons!

Reactions: TRS

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Gauntlets fix that. Aftermarket had that figured out long ago. I think Chris runs them now?
Would a 2 piece line with a finned block outside the dash by the steering stem work? Or would that be over complicating things?

U
Nov 26, 2007

I get the gauntlet thing but that’s not exactly a ‘fix’ in my opinion. Should not have to add parts to keep snow off of a snowmobile to keep it working properly

Cost and time aside shouldn’t the real fix be going back to a different style brake like the axys or pro ride sleds? I’d assume next years model will be redesigned

TRS - all the testing and experimenting you do is very much appreciated. Please keep us updated if you find something that works better

U
Nov 26, 2007
Was just out doing some yard rips to test some clutch work. Was paying attention to when brake light came on relative to how far brake lever was depressed. It sure didn’t take much. Just the very slightest movement of the lever tripped brake light and dash light.

Also had it up on a stand spinning track. By no means was there any noticeable braking when the brake light first tripped

If that’s what triggers the engine de-tune (allegedly) I think it could be problematic or at the very least irritating

• Wow
Reactions: RBalazs
P

Pitabroed

Jan 16, 2018
It's pretty funny, they have built sleds for several decades and now they have problems with brakes getting hot because it not release properly. That's the first joke, the second is that they think it will be fixed by with the software when it's obviusly all mechanic stuff. Very silly if you ask me

Reactions: section8steve

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
It's pretty funny, they have built sleds for several decades and now they have problems with brakes getting hot because it not release properly. That's the first joke, the second is that they think it will be fixed by with the software when it's obviusly all mechanic stuff. Very silly if you ask me
The problem is many of us keep a finger on the brake at all times and are braking and throttling at the same time when sidehilling steep terrain to reset the track and stay powered using this technique. The reflash is to prevent the option to be under throttle while riding the brake which many riders prefer to do. Obviously riding the brakes while keeping the power on will cause heating of the brakes.

P

Pitabroed

Jan 16, 2018
The problem is many of us keep a finger on the brake at all times and are braking and throttling at the same time when sidehilling steep terrain to reset the track and stay powered using this technique. The reflash is to prevent the option to be under throttle while riding the brake which many riders prefer to do. Obviously riding the brakes while keeping the power on will cause heating of the brakes.

Of course the brakes will be hot by that riding style, but there's a long time until the heat will be a problem because of it if you ask me. Apparently the plunges aren't released properly at some machines, before they're getting hot.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Of course the brakes will be hot by that riding style, but there's a long time until the heat will be a problem because of it if you ask me. Apparently the plunges aren't released properly at some machines, before they're getting hot.
Ih hasnt been a problem for most.

Reactions: mrooks17
Premium Features