• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
Rode Placer Friday... unreal riding. Was shocked by how many people went friday.

Regarding closures... Placer Drainage is scheduled to close April 1st until the 30th(and then there probably won't be sufficient snow near sea level to reopen).... so pay attention to the signs. This is from the www.cnfaic.org:

Skookum Drainage

Open:

About 24 inches of new snow. Remember, the Forest Order closes Skookum to snowmachines after March 31.

SUCH BS! If you want an explanation call Carl.

Carl Skustad
Director, Forecaster
cskustad@fs.fed.us
(907) 754-2346

I think i'm gonna flake on class Wednesday to ride my favorite spot 1 last time before the weekend.

Only Skookum closes on 3/31, Placer is open as snow cover allows.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Probably have a bigger turn out of us cripples then they did at the "forum" rides LOL.

Your right Tim, many of us old timers resemble that remark....I really enjoyed our mini forum ride Sat. That was a great day of riding, wrenching, and watching Dougy trying to catch us:rolleyes:
I am glad you could get up to him on his last stuck because there was no way I was making it up there on my wife's 141 sled!

Reactions: Puff_N_AK

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Your right Tim, many of us old timers resemble that remark....I really enjoyed our mini forum ride Sat. That was a great day of riding, wrenching, and watching Dougy trying to catch us:rolleyes:
I am glad you could get up to him on his last stuck because there was no way I was making it up there on my wife's 141 sled!

you should have taken mine up and by doug then come back down to him...lol..that would have got him going again....:beer;..enjoyed the ride and the peeps..great riding /and great peeps...hard to beat...

Skookum has been closing after March 31st for a few years now. It was when the USFS did the revised MGMT plan of the Chugach and we ALL wrote our letters and we ALL showed up to make comments in person right?

IF my memory is correct, there was less then a dozen of us fighting to keep the areas open. In the end, we kept some ground, lost some ground and even a timeshare in some areas with the non-motorized users.

Please do not 'Blow up Carl's phone' as he has nothing to do with the decision that was made by MGMT several years ago. What you can do is be involved in the future when the area comes under revision again (10 years) and quit riding in areas that are closed. Take down those photos of last year and DO NOT RIDE EAST of the railroad tracks after March 31st or we will loose it forever!

Our Gov. has no leverage on the USFS at a national scale, trust me I know someone who has been there with the state vs the feds in the Chugach battle on another issue. Tens of thousands of dollars to lawyers, lobbist in Washington DC, and visits to the director of the USFS in DC with support from the Vice President (Chaney) and still nothing. Trust me, calling Carl is not going to do anything but piss him off and give motorized users a worse name.

Once again the closure has nothing to do with the Heli guys (CPG), D1 and rocks on the edge of the road or even snow cover/pack. Please follow all openers and closures, the USFS wont have camers or staff to guard the valley after closure but they will be watching it, just like the East side of Turnagain Pass. MOST of us stay out of there right? I will pledge to let everyone know when the next revision is coming up.

Chris

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Thanks for the helpful information Chris.

Thanks Chris...Guys listen to his words. The locals (usfs)can do nothing more than we can about changing things. We can only make things worse by violating the laws as they are now. If you really are upset and care about this and want to make a difference today is your chance to.........

GO OUT TO THE VALLEY VIOCE YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE HATCHERS AREA AND BE COUNTED..SHOW YOUR SUPPORT. If you don't care enough to attend, do complain when you don't get the results you want out of the meetings that do set the future use of our play grounds.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Chris, thanks for clearing things up. Tim, thanks for the plug about the Hatchers Pass meeting tonight at 6:30. We need more people to attend! I have friends that are going, and others that cant because of other commitments so send us some backup!!

AKSNOWRIDER...I should have taken your sled up there and made a bunny pass for Dougy to follow down;) Your sled rocks!

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Skookum has been closing after March 31st for a few years now. It was when the USFS did the revised MGMT plan of the Chugach and we ALL wrote our letters and we ALL showed up to make comments in person right?

IF my memory is correct, there was less then a dozen of us fighting to keep the areas open. In the end, we kept some ground, lost some ground and even a timeshare in some areas with the non-motorized users.

Please do not 'Blow up Carl's phone' as he has nothing to do with the decision that was made by MGMT several years ago. What you can do is be involved in the future when the area comes under revision again (10 years) and quit riding in areas that are closed. Take down those photos of last year and DO NOT RIDE EAST of the railroad tracks after March 31st or we will loose it forever!

Our Gov. has no leverage on the USFS at a national scale, trust me I know someone who has been there with the state vs the feds in the Chugach battle on another issue. Tens of thousands of dollars to lawyers, lobbist in Washington DC, and visits to the director of the USFS in DC with support from the Vice President (Chaney) and still nothing. Trust me, calling Carl is not going to do anything but piss him off and give motorized users a worse name.

Once again the closure has nothing to do with the Heli guys (CPG), D1 and rocks on the edge of the road or even snow cover/pack. Please follow all openers and closures, the USFS wont have camers or staff to guard the valley after closure but they will be watching it, just like the East side of Turnagain Pass. MOST of us stay out of there right? I will pledge to let everyone know when the next revision is coming up.

Chris

Does this mean they are going to stay out of there as well after the 31st?

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Here are some pictures of the "Southern Forum Ride" at Placers on Saturday. We had Prayin4Snow, aksnowrider, ak800rm151 theultrarider, the_dougdangerak and some others. Rode Placer...

Everyone on the lake at the bottom of the run up to the top. Well, you can't see Doug he is working on his sled.. Infact, he was working on his sled at 1:30 am that morning when we ran some parts over to him. He was also working on his sled when we went to pick him up several hours later.. This was a common site throughout the day.,. Doug working on his sled..

100_1517.jpg

ak800rmk151 trying his hand king of the hill

100_1521.jpg

Here's the Theultrarider in a very familiar position.. In fact, he spent most of the day like this.. Not to long after this he shredded his recoil rope and blew a hole in his pipe. Good thing aksnowrider carriers his garage on the back of his sled. He had the tools and a new recoil rope so we were back on the powder in no time.. Being the nice guy that he is he only charged Tim $45.00 for the new recoil rope.. Great guy that aksnowrider..

100_1523.jpg

Here's the ultrarideragain..

100_1522.jpg

and here he is seconds later...

100_1526.jpg

Here's dangerdoug headed for stick where no one could get to him to help him dig out.. He had that poo dialed in pretty well.. He as king of the hill as far as I am concerned.. and he's a little crazy which helps to.

100_1524.jpg

Half way to the top with aksnowrider fixing theultrariders sled..

100_1524.jpg

DangerDoug heading for Mount Olympus.

100_1525.jpg

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
CONTINUED

aksnowrider on his Dragon and well clutched Dragon at that..

100_1520.jpg

aksnowrider and his well clutched well stuck Dragon

100_1528.jpg

The problem child (theultrarider) after hitting a shear wall and going over the handle bars..

100_1543.jpg

The gang on the way out...

100_1537.jpg

It was a great ride guys and I really enjoyed myself. I just wish I had more track to put on the snow. I may be fixing that problem here in the next couple of days.. I may pickup an M7 153 so I will be able to get stuck just like the big boys do..

Oh, aksnowrider, I will work on my ghost rider style although I still think it was better than a 6 outta 10. I don't think I should be penalized because my sled didn't drop over into a crevasse. :( I will however take your suggestion and throw my arms and legs around like a rag doll next time..

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Love the commentary!!!

Looks like you guys had a good time ;)

good time? no..we had a great time.and if it wasnt for the storm coming in ..we would still be riding..hard to get dougy to stop climbing cliffs...and tim to stop crashing, and me to stop getting stuck and ...well grand time .....and prayin if I would have known you was riding the wifes sled sooner..you would have been chasin doug with mine all afternoon...he likes to climb stuff that scares this old guy..but you could have gone and given him a run....and DVarmit..I told you you should have rode it...still think you need to....never pass up a chance to ride a sled just to see what the competion has....that m-7 153 will be perfect..put a turbo on it..and a 174..we will have you climbing cliffs just like crazy doug in no time......we have to do it again soon before snow is gone..

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
It was a great ride guys and I really enjoyed myself. I just wish I had more track to put on the snow. I may be fixing that problem here in the next couple of days.. I may pickup an M7 153 so I will be able to get stuck just like the big boys do..

Oh, aksnowrider, I will work on my ghost rider style although I still think it was better than a 6 outta 10. I don't think I should be penalized because my sled didn't drop over into a crevasse. :( I will however take your suggestion and throw my arms and legs around like a rag doll next time..[/QUOTE]

hey doug as far as the ghost ride..you didnt show quite enough newby style..but I did give you big bonus points for mating your sled to tims on the big hill...amazing skill was evident since you didnt crash yourself or tim....wish I could have got my camera out and got a pic...

Premium Features