• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Don't know about any real action shots from yesterday, but this one sure made our day interesting. My brother was trying to cross over the bridge and caught his ski between the bolts and the railroad track and it flipped and came to rest just like you see in the pic. Could have been a lot worse. Just one more reason to stay off the tracks.

man, he wasnt hurt was he?...dang lucky for sure..I try to stay off the tracks ...we rode in on the trail at the edge of the valley but came out on the tracks cause it was getting so hard to see...

Last edited:
Reactions: shwee
P
Mar 22, 2008
Both my brother and the sled came out ok. pretty lucky though. My dad got a bit of a scare because he didn't see it happen and thought my brother got thrown off the bridge, but when he pulled up my brother was just sitting on the other side of the sled. I think we will stay on the valley trail next time too.:cool:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Both my brother and the sled came out ok. pretty lucky though. My dad got a bit of a scare because he didn't see it happen and thought my brother got thrown off the bridge, but when he pulled up my brother was just sitting on the other side of the sled. I think we will stay on the valley trail next time too.:cool:

when we were kids we used to ride next to the tracks on our motorcycles..almost got run over by a train...finally heard his horn and looked over my shoulder..he was right there..scared the crap out of me..(weird but never heard it at all until it was right there)..ever since I try to stay away from the tracks...

Dec 8, 2007

Just an idea but that pic of the tracks would be pretty easy for say a group to argue land management issues, or justify heli-skiing closures, don't provide ammo I'd ditch the Pic-

P
Mar 22, 2008
yea i thought i would post it as an example of what not to do, but i see your point so i removed it. So does anyone have any pics from today? it sounds like it got dumped on again.

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Impending Closure :(

Rode Placer Friday... unreal riding. Was shocked by how many people went friday.

Regarding closures... Placer Drainage is scheduled to close April 1st until the 30th(and then there probably won't be sufficient snow near sea level to reopen).... so pay attention to the signs. This is from the www.cnfaic.org:

Skookum Drainage

Open:

About 24 inches of new snow. Remember, the Forest Order closes Skookum to snowmachines after March 31.

SUCH BS AND SUX BIG TIME! If you want an explanation call Carl - I don't have the answers.

Carl Skustad
Director, Forecaster
cskustad@fs.fed.us
(907) 754-2346

I think i'm gonna flake on class Wednesday to ride my favorite spot 1 last time before the weekend.

Last edited:
A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
week day ride

I can ride anyday if the hcr is out of the shop. I'll mob the rmk that has been sitting all year to not miss out on the great snow. Let me know. tim

A
Why Are They Closing It Early?

Why so early? and with adequate snow coverage! I need an explaination...

These pics were from the 18th of APRIL last year! Dont see why we could not safely ride there for another month with the snow coverage right now!

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

R

RamrodAK1

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Placer today super deep. We were the ones in the second parking lot. We busted in there and got the trucks stuck instantly. We rode all the way to the squirrel flats trail beginning. Broke trail AGAIN! Got to the first gully. Not going to tell you how deep because no one is going to believe us anyway. We had 4 xp's, nytro and my 800 dragon rippin it up. Stuckfest of course. Getting out of that parking lot took us about an hour of shoveling and pushing.

A

ak1000m

Nov 27, 2007
soldotna,alaska
placer report second hand

just got a call from Derk they went lost lake said old tracks were not cover ,so back down and on to placer 2 to 3 foot of new snow over what was there on friday played on the trail going up to squirrel flats was great. another group went on over the top. looks like the place to go.

Premium Features