• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>>Official Power Commander V Thread<<< Polaris 800 C.F.I.'s

i rode today and finally got some trim numbers. i can tell it is working better, getting higher rpms. but still 100 % throttle it has hard time holding 8100 likes to fall to 7700. at 5000 rpm to 8400 0 - 60% throttle at 13.5 then at 80% throttle 13.1 and 100% 12.5 the last trail run (right before ran out of gas) sled hit detination!! is 12.5 to lean?? tested 6000 ft and was cold 7 degree F. usaually ride 7 -9500ft. should i have the same air/fuel ratio thoughout the entire powerband?

ummmm, might want to figure out the difference between rich and lean before you try to tune. 12.5 is to the rich side of things, optimum a/f ratio for EMISSIONS is 14.7/1

ran the 162 HP stoutner map for DYnotech with my autotune, was turning 7900-8000 RPM in the deepest snow I have ever ridden, very heave to. My Stock 156 HP map from dynotech was churning 8100 RPM all day w/o auto tune.. I try and run my stock map from jim on tuesday w/ auto tune and see if that gets my RPM's back.
IT seemed like my sled ran smoother w/ the 156 HP map, but maybe I had more power w/ the stoutner map???
anyway, my sled still absolutely rips, I love it.

Just wanted to post a pic for some of you questioning where to install the bung for the O2 sensor with the auto tune. Probably not critical, but Power Commander recommends putting it in the belly of the pipe. It should see the least amount of oil buildup in this location. I assume that is why Polaris has the EGT mounted here as well. Electrotech did the legwork on this.:beer; I'm just posting up the pic and info.

picsforsnowest001.jpg

The bung is welded a few degrees off of vertical. Did this just for hood clearance concerns. The picture may be a little deceiving as the pipe sits at a different angle when mounted.
A big thanks to Skinz Protective Gear. They did the welding and ceramic coating of the stock pipe for me.

can you set me up with a contact info on the cermanic coating?
Jim at dynotech suggests mounting the bung on the cone of the pipe, as it funnels down to the beveled end.

Yeah, I figured the location wasn't too critical. I've seen a few of them towards the end. Seems like they are just fine and that is where I was going to originally mount it.
Skinz can obviously do it, but don't really advertise it as a service. They are so busy just trying to keep up with production orders. If you want them to do it, I would contact them in the summer. Otherwise you will likely be waiting awhile.
I know locally there are a few places that do ceramic coating and I would assume there are some closer to you as well. Ceramic coating isn't really uncommon so even some automotive or machine shops may be able to steer you towards someone who can do it. You may try searching some threads too. I remember seeing that questions pop up a few times.

A/f ratios

12.0-12.5 A/F is about the most you're going to get away with without deto.

SLP says they've seen MAX h.p. in the low 13's, but once again I don't think you're going to be able to get away with that out on the trail.

ummmm, might want to figure out the difference between rich and lean before you try to tune. 12.5 is to the rich side of things, optimum a/f ratio for EMISSIONS is 14.7/1

SLP says they've seen MAX h.p. in the low 13's, but once again I don't think you're going to be able to get away with that out on the trail.

Looking at the eastern guy's dyno reports, it appears that north of 12.5 in the range of 12.7-12.8 is where the most power is made with a reasonably flat top to the power curve. My experience with 12.75 in the field confirms that. Of course, it all depends on fuel quality and number of pipes but that meter is called the DET lite.

ran the 162 HP stoutner map for DYnotech with my autotune, was turning 7900-8000 RPM in the deepest snow I have ever ridden, very heave to. My Stock 156 HP map from dynotech was churning 8100 RPM all day w/o auto tune.. I try and run my stock map from jim on tuesday w/ auto tune and see if that gets my RPM's back.
IT seemed like my sled ran smoother w/ the 156 HP map, but maybe I had more power w/ the stoutner map???
anyway, my sled still absolutely rips, I love it.

When you switch between the two maps are you removing your SLP pipe and running the stock pipe?

Remember the 156hp map is for stock exhaust and the 162hp map is for the SLP pipe.

Once you have a good map you may find that you don't need autotune and can just turn it off.

When comparing AFR readings it is good to use the same sensor location for the comparison. Dynojet recomends putting the sensor in the cone of the pipe approximatly 12" upstream of the stinger. This location provides good sensor life and consistant AFR readings.

I have not had a chance to test this theory but I think you can get away with a leaner AFR at WOT when you are in the higher elevations of the west. The extra atmospheric pressure at sealevel will increase cylinder temperatures and pressures. High cylinder temperatures and pressures are the cause of detonation.

You can starve off detonation in two ways the most effective is running higher octane fuel. Another way to decrease the chance of detonation is run a richer AFR. This cools the pistons and combustion chambers. Please don't misunderstand this, running a richer AFR is not a substitute for race fuel, it just provides a little safety margine if you are close to the edge.

This may be why you are seeing the diffrence in reccomended AFR's.

I have two maps loaded in each position 1 & 2. How do I know which position on my switch open or closed is each map on.

Let's see you run a motor WOT at 14.7 to 1 and see how long it lasts. Bring a friend and a tow strap, you're gonna need it.

DynoJet Auto Tune Trims for Wolf Creek Pass Utah.

I was running Dynotech's 162 HP Soutner map, with a Target A/F ration of 12:1 at 8000 RPM and 100% Throttle.

Sled seemed to run smoother on the stock map and I was only churning 7900-8000 RPM with this 162 HP map, but it was the deepest day I have ever ridden in my life.

attachment.php

PC V Wolf Creek Map.jpg

Last edited:
I was running Dynotech's 162 HP Soutner map, with a Target A/F ration of 12:1 at 8000 RPM and 100% Throttle.

Sled seemed to run smoother on the stock map and I was only churning 7900-8000 RPM with this 162 HP map, but it was the deepest day I have ever ridden in my life.

attachment.php

It looks like 12:1 AFR may be a little rich. The +8% and +20% are probaly robbing you of some HP.

I have two maps loaded in each position 1 & 2. How do I know which position on my switch open or closed is each map on.

Connect the PC V to a laptop with the sled running if you have your map switch configured with the software you can flip your switch and the software will display current map on the right side of the screen.

If your map switch is not configured go to this web page and follow the instructions to setup your maps.

http://www.powercommander.com/power...himpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=3_PC5.1.24.html

attachment.php

It looks like 12:1 AFR may be a little rich. The +8% and +20% are probaly robbing you of some HP.

Holy rich running, batman!! Even with an SLP pipe at 15 below and low elevation, my autotune 800 map richened up WOT at 800 by 1%. Since you never reached 8250 you didn't really start richening up but you gotta fix that value as it is over the top fat.

Post up your Target AFR map, it would be interesting to see what values you entered.

Last edited:
your map?

attachment.php

this is not the stoutner map it looks like if I am reading it right you are running your autotune and it mad this map? I just had it up on my laptop and could see a big diff between them.

Premium Features

Back