• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My first and last ride for a while. I keep getting asked what happened....

justpinit907

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interior, Alaska
Carnage.

I'm headed to Anchorage for a while but before I go I'll try to get some pics posted of the carnage. I've pretty much ignored that sled for the last few days. It just makes me cringe. So far, it's looking like it's got a tweak in the tunnel and the rear drop brackets are way out of wack since I landed crooked. I think that the rear brackets being like they are sheared a gear and/or chain and the motor is fine...... These are just thoughts at a glance. I haven't torn anything apart yet.

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Amazing story, glad to hear you're okay. Thanks for sharing with everyone, hopefully we'll all learn something from it.........

S
Nov 27, 2007
Longmont,CO
stuck

thanks for the story, over the years I've had to walk all night three times, your hike triggers some great memories, the most grueling experience I've had is pretty funny....now...my two cents... The weather makes all the difference...know the forecast and consider what's coming at you before you pass the point of no return....also great idea using skis as snow shoes.

summitking

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lumby
Man that really sucks . good thing your okay
If you want to sell your rear skid let me know lol

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
I spent the night out once hunting,it sucked but, definitly makes the high cost of good survival gear seem unimportant.
Thanks for the story.
P.S.Your grampa is an animal!

justpinit907

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interior, Alaska
For Sale.

Man that really sucks . good thing your okay
If you want to sell your rear skid let me know lol

I'm not going to part it out but I would consider selling the whole thing so I could start over......

I still have all of the stock parts. The tunnel is twisted a little in the tail section. Needs new rear mount brackets. The rear timbersled skid is still unscathed. Front suspension, skis, and all controls aren't damaged at all. Diamond S hood is just like out of the box. The left side of the track has quite a few torn paddles, and that's about it so far. I haven't really checked on the chaincase condition or motor yet.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Question:

I wonder why when you got completely soaked in the creek bed, you did not start a fire and dry your things out? (You said you had flint etc)

I would think that by then your buddies would have returned to the truck and noticed that you never made it and mounted a search........

Not ripping ya, just wondering what you were thinking at that point where you stripped down and were doing jumping jacks waiting to get your clothes frozen......

Can you explain further as to why you decided to move on instead of staying put?

justpinit907

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interior, Alaska
Choices

Question:

I wonder why when you got completely soaked in the creek bed, you did not start a fire and dry your things out? (You said you had flint etc)

I would think that by then your buddies would have returned to the truck and noticed that you never made it and mounted a search........

Not ripping ya, just wondering what you were thinking at that point where you stripped down and were doing jumping jacks waiting to get your clothes frozen......

Can you explain further as to why you decided to move on instead of staying put?

Why I didn't build a fire.... I was above the tree line and there was nothing to burn. Stuff to burn would help when it comes time to make fire.

Why I moved on..... That day there were a total of MAYBE a dozen riders anywhere remotely(within 10 miles) of my location. When covered with water and it's only about 10* above zero you don't want to sit still. Even dry and sitting still in Alaska is waiting for the hypothermia to set in. I knew the area really well and knew that my best chance of being able to signal another rider would be to get high where I'd be able to make the best use of my signals. I also continued on in order to get the blood flowing after putting my layers back on.

Why I let my clothes freeze..... because without the ability to burn something to dry my clothes out then I needed to seek other options. This is the only one that I was trained to do and had the abilities to accomplish at the time.

Anyone that hasn't taken beginner/intermediate/advanced cold weather survival training should look into it. Luckily, my time in the military and my career choice has afforded me to attend many courses on this subject. One of which drops you off in the alaskan ocean about 300 yards from shore (water 39* that day) then they tell you the boat is going down and kick you over board. They come back and get the class from the island after a non-specified number of days. Normally only about three or four.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I always joke that if I get lost look for me at the point of origin of the forest fire cause I'll burn the whole place down before freezing to death.... I know the area justpinit907 was in and he's right, there's nothing to burn.

Since my sled is worth a whole lot less than his I probably would've camped out and torched it one piece at a time (I carry flares for just this) but his choice was just as good, moving around is only bad if you're lost, he knew where he was and where he was going. Every step he took was one closer to help as well since there is only one way in and out of that area.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Live and ride in Alaska you learn real quick about the area(s) you ride in and where you gotta go otherwise you'll be dead. Sometimes it just takes a few bushes to know you are headed in the right direction while riding out in a snowstorm/groundstorm. My riding buddies rely on me to get them home all the time.

M
Nov 21, 2006
Pocatello, ID
Glad you made it, you used a couple techniques I wouldn't have though of. Good thing the sled was the only thing hurt in the fall, woulda sucked a lot more if you had to gimp out with a bum leg.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
Well written story, almost sounds made up its so well written. Sounds like an episode of man vs wild. You seemed to keep a level head about everything except for riding alone, that was dumb, but you probably dont need to hear that. Glad you made it, your gonads probably gained a little size that day.

justpinit907

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interior, Alaska
Gonads

Well written story, almost sounds made up its so well written. Sounds like an episode of man vs wild. You seemed to keep a level head about everything except for riding alone, that was dumb, but you probably dont need to hear that. Glad you made it, your gonads probably gained a little size that day.

If anything, the gonads shrunk a bit. I was pretty dang cold for a while. Yeah, the whole riding alone thing. I talked to the guys that I was riding with before we split and told them the way that I was going to head out. Apparently, they forgot. haha Oh well. Live and learn.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Remind me not to ride with your buddies pinit, but like you said, live and learn. BTW, get some pics up lazy bastard.lol

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
If anything, the gonads shrunk a bit. I was pretty dang cold for a while. Yeah, the whole riding alone thing. I talked to the guys that I was riding with before we split and told them the way that I was going to head out. Apparently, they forgot. haha Oh well. Live and learn.

As was stated earlier in this thread...Time for some new friends.
I don't care how well a person knows the area we ride in or how close we are to the trucks.
No one rides out on a broken sled alone...Period.

Consider yourself fortunate that you're alive with all your fingers and toes still intact.
You're lucky, and obviously skilled at survival.
All in all a happy ending.

H

Hammertime

Nov 27, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
glad your ok

I had an overnighter in colorado a few years back. However we stayed together and built a fire. Spent the night cutting wood and waiting for the sun to come up. We had one sled pinned in a tree and a bunch of survival gear. Ended up riding out in the morning. We were in a similiar situation not lost but couldn't pick up the trail out and it was too dark to see anything behond the headlights. Here is some gear you should think about getting.

Rhino GPS Radio (Has the ability to transmit your coordinates to your buddies)
Fire starter sticks/waterproof matches/lighter etc.
Shovel and saw combo
Emergency Blanketes two-three (you could have wrapped them around you while you were freezing your clothes)
Dryer lint (good for starting fires too)

Not too worried about staying over night after this one but still plan ahead for it.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Why I didn't build a fire.... I was above the tree line and there was nothing to burn. Stuff to burn would help when it comes time to make fire.

Why I moved on..... That day there were a total of MAYBE a dozen riders anywhere remotely(within 10 miles) of my location. When covered with water and it's only about 10* above zero you don't want to sit still. Even dry and sitting still in Alaska is waiting for the hypothermia to set in. I knew the area really well and knew that my best chance of being able to signal another rider would be to get high where I'd be able to make the best use of my signals. I also continued on in order to get the blood flowing after putting my layers back on.

Why I let my clothes freeze..... because without the ability to burn something to dry my clothes out then I needed to seek other options. This is the only one that I was trained to do and had the abilities to accomplish at the time.

Anyone that hasn't taken beginner/intermediate/advanced cold weather survival training should look into it. Luckily, my time in the military and my career choice has afforded me to attend many courses on this subject. One of which drops you off in the alaskan ocean about 300 yards from shore (water 39* that day) then they tell you the boat is going down and kick you over board. They come back and get the class from the island after a non-specified number of days. Normally only about three or four.

Yep, sure makes sense. I forgot that you Alaska guys are almost always running in areas with a sparse tree count........

Anyway, glad you made it out.........

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
good story, and a good reminder to as to why i pack all those extras in my pack. it constantly amazes me how many people i see in the mountains without a) a backpack and b) if they do have one, there's really nothing in it, just their shovel, probe, and 2 little bottles of water! they always say, "we aren't going anywhere we can't get out of, or there's lots of us, don't worry". as your story shows, it doesn't matter how well you know an area, or how many people are with you, chit happens, and you can very easliy find yourself broke down and forced to spend the night. personally, i am willing to add some weight in order in to have the confidence that i have enough goods to make it thru at least 1 night, if not more!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
good story, and a good reminder to as to why i pack all those extras in my pack. it constantly amazes me how many people i see in the mountains without a) a backpack and b) if they do have one, there's really nothing in it, just their shovel, probe, and 2 little bottles of water! they always say, "we aren't going anywhere we can't get out of, or there's lots of us, don't worry". as your story shows, it doesn't matter how well you know an area, or how many people are with you, chit happens, and you can very easliy find yourself broke down and forced to spend the night. personally, i am willing to add some weight in order in to have the confidence that i have enough goods to make it thru at least 1 night, if not more!

I had a few guys in our group that would cry "It adds too much weight!!"

Well if your worried about the extra weight, make sure you take a good dump before you go riding, then you are about the same weight as you would have been.....

I am done carrying their water bottles and Snickers bars. Bring a backpack and haul your own crap!!

Premium Features