• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park / West Yellowstone Riding Conditions for 2023-2024

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm going to start using the same site as you do for WX forecasts. I wouldn't have even known about the wind if you hadn't pointed it out, Christopher. Weather Underground gave no such indication and I would've been in for a real surprise...

View attachment 416759
just remember
that graphs and charts that "I" Use are all for HIGH ALTITUDE, NOT for the valley, which is where all the normal forcasts are for.

More Snow and MORE WIND will always be found up on the ridgelines where I like to ride.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
just remember
that graphs and charts that "I" Use are all for HIGH ALTITUDE, NOT for the valley, which is where all the normal forcasts are for.

More Snow and MORE WIND will always be found up on the ridgelines where I like to ride.
Yep, and that probably makes sense for most sledding. Looks like you're using Mt Jefferson for the IP forecasts. Is that correct?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And then I use the Accumulated Snow Forecast for specific locations.
This one is just for 24 hours so you can compare what the above prognostication is guessing at for comparison.
Notice how MUCH variance there is on this map from one peak to the next.

2024-02-23_15-33-58.jpg

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
And then I use the Accumulated Snow Forecast for specific locations.
This one is just for 24 hours so you can compare what the above prognostication is guessing at for comparison.
Notice how MUCH variance there is on this map from one peak to the next.

Super nice to have options to get a better understanding of the big picture and sort of blend the two based on your areas of interest. I like that accumulation map a lot!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Again, this is for the VALLEY, not the peaks.

We're gaining confidence on impacts for the storm system arriving for Monday and Tuesday. It's still early yet, and we expect forecast fluctuations in snow amounts, but here's a first look at what we might be looking at. Monday evening and Tuesday morning commutes may be impacted. Stay tuned!

2024-02-23_15-42-48.jpg

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Worth riding IP tomorrow or wait?
Demo is tempting too but my riding crew is scattered other places this wknd.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Worth riding IP tomorrow or wait?
Demo is tempting too but my riding crew is scattered other places this wknd.
Maybe just for the sake of the Demo.
But I think we would be a little bit hard pressed to find any fresh that hasn't been hit hard over the last full week of visitor traffic.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I definitely wouldn’t be in your stomping grounds for untouched after 3 day wknd. I have a few guesses but we’ll be there next Sunday for a few days so I may hold off for that.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I definitely wouldn’t be in your stomping grounds for untouched after 3 day wknd. I have a few guesses but we’ll be there next Sunday for a few days so I may hold off for that.
by next week I expect we will be seeing plenty of new snow IF the weather pattern doesn't swing SOUTH on us over the weekend.
Right now it LOOKS LIKE the totals are going to get TRIMMED DOWN though as the storm track appears to be MOVING.

Premium Features