• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me Build the "PERFECT" SnoWest Snowmobile trailer

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Dragontex

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2008
Mine is only about 15lbs. I would prefer double that. I run the furnace from when we get off the hill until we get to the hill the next day. It only lasts two to three days. Mine does not have any ducting.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
"Go aluminum frame!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I agree, I went with an aluminum trailer. My Mirage X-box frame looked like hell after the first season. The framing inside the trailer was rusty as well. Now granted, the X-box is their entry level trailer, but the paint they used on the framing was crap. I only hope they do something better on the higher end trailers. Right now, I'm considering finding/ordering some of the 4x8 ABS or whatever thin plastic sheets and 2" insulation to close up the bottom side of my trailer next summer. To late to do anything with it this fall.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The whole underbody treatment issue is an interesting question that I don't see any of the manufacturers addressing.

Calls for some more research....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Something else to consider, in fact I might be trying to install this on my trailer after today :)

I typically used the trailer enough in the winter that the batteries would remain charged, but the fuel gage on my fuel station is electrical. IE, over the course of several months, it will wear the batteries down. I think whats happened is its worn the batteries down, they froze, and now they don't appear to be holding a charge as well, so I might be in the market for some new deep cycle batteries here soon.

With that said. I think I might look into mounting a solar panel to run a battery tender. This way I'd never have to remove the batteries and I'd keep them charged and never have to worry about them freezing.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
This is an awesome thread, and will end up costing a lot of people a lot of money!

The couple of tidbits that I have to add are: Solar Panels for tending batteries is a great idea and basically a must have. When I worked construction we ran all of our battery chargers for cordless tools off of an inverter, so no matter what they were basically charged when we pulled up and unloaded.

Another thing is the under carriage of the trailer -- all of our trailers we used had Rhino or Line-X on the frame and such. Most of our trailers saw 20k miles per year and realistically we needed to touch up areas that were most prone to rocks and everything every 3-4 years.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I wouldn't go with solar panels. They are expensive and what happens when it snows? Have to crawl up there and sweep them off or go for a drive..
They also might ice up.

Power tool battery chargers don't pull as many amps as a furnace.

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
For those with steel or who are contemplating steel, look into a chassis coating such as Chassis Saver or POR 15. This is what commercial truck chassis are sometimes coated in. If your trailer is already getting rusty, you can have it blasted and get it re coated in one of these coatings for probably under $1500.00

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With that said. I think I might look into mounting a solar panel to run a battery tender. This way I'd never have to remove the batteries and I'd keep them charged and never have to worry about them freezing.
That would be a simple cheap add on down the road.
Can't see any downside to it so long as it was mounted properly and didn't leak!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For those with steel or who are contemplating steel, look into a chassis coating such as Chassis Saver or POR 15. This is what commercial truck chassis are sometimes coated in. If your trailer is already getting rusty, you can have it blasted and get it re coated in one of these coatings for probably under $1500.00

Nothing in their material suggests it be used as a PREVENTATIVE TREATMENT?
Only seems intended for AFTER the fact???

<table height="1226" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="92%"><tbody><tr><td class="maincontent" valign="top">
eBay_99_logo_05.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" valign="top">

“Oh by the way I have bought a gallon of your Chassis Saver
before for my race car, and I have to say that stuff is
awesome. Very high quality product for a very good price.
Sure beats POR-15!!!" — L.M., Woretown, NJ

"I have waited before saying anything about your Chassis Saver
product until I had a chance to try both your product and the
competition. I am very satisfied with the finish and durability.
The restoration I completed 3 years ago looks as if it was done
a few months ago. Your product is by far the most durable and
provides excellent coverage. Chassis Saver is really
awesome paint, it beats the finish of POR-15 hands down."
— J.C., Colorado Springs, CO

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" height="299" valign="top">
Chassis_Saver3b.jpg

Now available - Antique-Satin Black
for factory original restorations
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" valign="top"> CHASSIS SAVER™ is a high solids, VOC compliant, single component chassis paint and underbody coating specially formulated to permanently stop automotive and truck corrosion without the use of primers or topcoats. Chassis Saver’s unique "RUST STOPPING" properties permit its application directly over tightly adhered rust after only marginal surface preparation using a wire brush and/or hand scraper to remove loose scale and rust particulate. Optimum results can be achieved by sandblasting a medium blast profile to surfaces. Chassis Saver bonds to blasted and rusty metal to form a rock hard yet flexible, glaze-like, non-porous finish that won’t crack, chip, flake or peel. It works by isolating metal from oxygen and moisture, and without these factors present... RUST STOPS – Dead in its tracks! Chassis Saver cures by reacting with atmospheric moisture and its cured film resembles that of a catalyzed finish yet no hardeners or activators are used. Chassis Saver is completely unaffected by road salt, gasoline, diesel fuel, oils, battery acids, hydraulic fluids, solvents, chemicals, or corrosives.

CHASSIS SAVER™ has proven itself over 10 years under the harshest conditions – More than 350 townships, public works departments and local DOT fleet maintenance facilities use CHASSIS SAVER for protection of snow and ice removal equipment, highway, off road and general vehicle maintenance.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" valign="top"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" valign="top">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" valign="top"> pricing</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="maincontent" height="18" valign="top">

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NXrF1n9s3xM?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe><table style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed; WIDTH: 336pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="448"> <colgroup> <col style="width: 62pt" width="83"> <col style="width: 227pt" width="303"> <col style="width: 47pt" width="62"> </colgroup> <tbody><tr style="height: 18pt; font-weight: 700; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: middle" height="24"> <td style="width: 289pt; height: 40px; font-size: 14.0pt; font-weight: 700; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: top; color: windowtext; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; text-align: general; white-space: nowrap; border: medium none; padding-left: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-top: 1px" colspan="2" width="386"> </td> </tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I wouldnt load the suspension. Go over the skid and over the skis. If the suspension compresses the straps might come lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This the correct way to tie stuff down. Hold the track and skis down and let the suspension carry the weight. It causes less strain and wear on everything. It also allows the trailer to bride smoother.

I have seen tied own mounts ripped out because guys insist on strapping sleds or 4 wheelers down so they can't move at all. A good bump and the compressed suspension pulls even harder on the straps and mounts.

In an enclosed trailer you can get away with a strap on the back holding a sled from moving forward on hard braking and they won't move a bit. You would have to have serious HP and a monster lead foot to move a sled backwards upon acceleration.

You can put E track in the floor and walls both if you want more options for riding stuff down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For the last several years I have been the guy that LOADS the suspension and straps from the REAR only.

My Nytros have NEVER gone backwards, but ALWAYS try to go forward.
Never had a loaded one come loose though..

I guess the "Best" solution would be a super clamp??.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CX4RLTXPVjk?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
For the last several years I have been the guy that LOADS the suspension and straps from the REAR only.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CX4RLTXPVjk?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

$1000 just to tie 5 sleds down.. or go E track so you can tie your quads down too. You can still strap the skid and skis down with E track.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I honestly didn't even look at the price.
$1,000.00 ??
That seems mighty high.
Either way, I plan on going with two strips of E-Track right now.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho

Look at his super clamp holds your sled. By the skis and track, unsprung components. Not by loading the chassis.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Look at his super clamp holds your sled. By the skis and track, unsprung components. Not by loading the chassis.

They clearly seem to be a very effective tool.
Just taken aback at the cost the other guy mentioned. For sled decks they seem a perfect solution.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I honestly didn't even look at the price.
$1,000.00 ??
That seems mighty high.
Either way, I plan on going with two strips of E-Track right now.

I recommend 4 strips of vertical and use the E track ratchet straps.

1. When you strap your sled down on the skid, the ratchet seems to be right on the skid.. with 4 sets you can go across to the other e track and have the ratchet right in the middle of the trailer so it's easier to tighten and it doesn't scratch your skid.

2. E track ratchet straps have the clips built in. That way you aren't using normal ratchets and try to hook on to e track clips. Which you have to buy the attachment clips anyways.

3. Your friends won't take your E track ratchets because they can't use them on anything else.

4. Vertical E track is a lot easier to attach the E track ratchets to. If you get horizontal E track the strap is twisted.

This is probably confusing. If I had my trailer here I would take pictures and show you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So I see the difference between the Vertical and the Horizontal, but I do NOT understand why you are suggesting the Vertical over the horizontal?
Is it just a matter of trying to get the straps to lay FLAT as they pass over the skis or through the Track/Skid??

And the problem this poses me is that I want to use the Superglides in the trailer.
I know I will have a Carbide resistant floor, but I REALLY likes the superglides in my current trailer and would use them again.
If I do that, there is NO way to install 4 sets of E-Tracks.

Vertical E-Track
3272-e-track-5-vertical-painted_1_375.jpg

Horizontal E-Track
4772-e-track-2-horizontal-painted-box-4_1_375.jpg

1550-e-track-tie-down-straps-2-x20-cam-buckle_1_375.jpg

1118-e-track-ratchet-straps-2-x20_1_375.jpg

Last edited:

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
So I see the difference between the Vertical and the Horizontal, but I do NOT understand why you are suggesting the Vertical over the horizontal?
Is it just a matter of trying to get the straps to lay FLAT as they pass over the skis or through the Track/Skid??

And the problem this poses me is that I want to use the Superglides in the trailer.
I know I will have a Carbide resistant floor, but I REALLY likes the superglides in my current trailer and would use them again.
If I do that, there is NO way to install 4 sets of E-Tracks.

Vertical E-Track
3272-e-track-5-vertical-painted_1_375.jpg

Horizontal E-Track
4772-e-track-2-horizontal-painted-box-4_1_375.jpg

1550-e-track-tie-down-straps-2-x20-cam-buckle_1_375.jpg

1118-e-track-ratchet-straps-2-x20_1_375.jpg

So the strap lays flat and more importantly the ratchet.

I also don't like how the clips pull on only one side when you use horizontal e track. The strap bunches up in the clip.

Keep in mind, my trailer has been rear ended and saw what happens to E track.

Ok, I didn't know you were going to go with superglides.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK, that makes good sense.
This is worth considering.
The SuperGlides make the floor last forever.
REALLY REALLY liked them, and when there is SNOW and ICE on the floor, they ADD traction to step on with their ridged edges.

But your point is VERY well made.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I have been VERY happy with the speed and effectiveness of using super clamps in my enclosed for the sleds... and yes, they RULE for decks too! The sled isn't going to move either forward or backward with the ski clamps on, even parked on glides.

Premium Features