• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GET FACTS STRAIGHT! Snowest Misleading Readers about Cooke City.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
V

VRod

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
It’s obvious the people who want the road plowed are not thinking too far ahead. If the road were to be plowed it would not be on the government’s agenda to do it for snowmobilers. Their main objective would be to open access for the wolf watchers/park visitors. The trail system would not be reestablished even though I’m sure they’d promise to do it, but it would never happen. Cooke would initially experience an influx of snowmobilers and town would be packed past its capacity. Also, don’t forget the wolf watcher traffic. This would probably go on for 3-5 years. Eventually snowmobilers will get sick of Cooke as the only trail out of town will be the Miller trail and the riding area just isn’t large enough to support that number of sledders. At some point in the near future a certain percentage of snowmobilers would stop coming to Cooke and the majority of business will be from park visitors, just as it is in the summer. Ruining one of the last “ride-in” snowmobile destinations. And yes even though I now live in Bozeman, I’m originally from the Billings area and actually lived in MN for 6 years, so I have rode in many times. Probably in 7-10 years the area would be shutdown to snowmobiles and the government/NPS will have succeeded in their agenda just because the road was plowed. Yes this is all speculation but what isn’t with this discussion.

Other short-term (3-5 YEARS) items to consider if the highway is plowed:

1. Obviously, where’s the money coming from?
2. Cooke will turn into the next West Yellowstone.
3. More and more families will start making the trip, let's just say you'd better double/triple your SnR team. It's much easier to get into trouble in Cooke than it is in other areas (West, Tog).
4. Trucks/trailers will be lined up and down the highway in both directions, not enough parking in town even if they do create a parking lot.
5. Trucks/trailers will constantly be stuck on Colter Pass. Remember it's much higher than Cooke. Check out the Big Moose webcam. Is there going to be a plow running 24x7 just for this 9 mile section of road?
6. The forest service will make tons of $$$ from uneducated people going into wilderness. They'll have to hire another 6 rangers so they can fill up their new ranger station mansion.
7. Yellowstone Park could potentially close traffic to rigs with trailers in the winter or completely deny access to snowmobile traffic.
8. What do the people who live on Colter Pass think?

LSB: Many of you know me, and know how much effort I have put into this community over the past decade. I will not let this be turned into anything remotely anti snowmobiling. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING IT!

LSB… I’d also like to see this “public list” of Cooke City businesses who are for and against this.

Point is… we need to keep as many miles of “trails” open as possible as that is what government officials look at when determining snowmobile access. Areas with the least amount of trails will be shut down first. So if this initiative somehow passes and the road gets plowed, the so called trail next to the road better be established before the highway is ever plowed.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Some of the statements made about profits need to settle down, some of these businesses might need the money for upgrades or what ever and some may purely profit from it but its speculation which gets us any where. We are not just talking about business owners either I know a handful of land owners that would like a little more access (I by no means know everyone in and around cooke either). Just sayin, speculation isn't helping.

Still curious about keeping it open except for this time period 1/15/## to 4/15## as there isn't much snow between cooke and the beartooths early in the year and it melts in between the two areas early. Or maybe something along those lines doesn't have to be those dates exactly.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This has been one of the more interesting reads in a long time on this site. Thank you to those posting actual facts and filing in some of the gaps for some of us who don't know the history and challenges the area has faced.

K

khogan

Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman, MT
firecat - It will cost you about another hour(from Billings) to drive around depending on the road conditions.

K

khogan

Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Robert (LSB), the creator of this thread, has his motel for sale ( www.loopnet.com/Listing/17066260/105-Main-St-Cooke-City-MT/
). Why, if he has it for sale, is he so adament about getting the road plowed? Would getting the road plowed this season potentially boost his short term profits to facilitate a sale (??).

Why, would anyone put this much effort to convince people on his personal beliefs, NOT THE FACTS, to get the road plowed? While all the time their business is for sale. Things that make you go hmmmm.

This is not the first time this plowing issue has come up over the years. And, as stated in my previous posts, always by the people that don't stick around (previously referred to as "flash in the pans")

So Robert, why is it? Why are you pushing for plowing the road when your place is for sale? Why is it you will not post the names of the businesses that support plowing? And, are the ones that support it like yourself for sale too? Has Delaware North (park bus/concess) had maybe an if/then conversation with you?

I will patiently await your response, this information might help some of the readers make a more informed decision.

Again, great job by SNOWEST on the digital article on this at Snowest.com

www.loopnet.com/Listing/17066260/105-Main-St-Cooke-City-MT/

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Here is another good read about what is going on in the Beartooth. Forest Revision Planning.
The Centennial
Shoshone National Forest, May 2011 issue 29
I had trouble with the link. I will try another one.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Jeff C-

I am happy you found a place to ride that accomodates you. Isn't Island Park a hell of a lot further drive (like about 4 hours longer) than going to Cooke???

You seem dead set to weigh in on this discussion, but you have only been there once, and that was 10 years ago.....Your driving right by the paved road to Cooke to get to Island Park. (???)

And, lets not exaggerate it. It is a 9 mile ride, not 15. I am sorry your things got taken. I guess I am not as trusting and I lock up everything anywhere I go. I have never heard of windows getting broken out. Are you saying they broke your windows too.

No they did not break my windows, but another truck the same night as our stuff was screwed with.....

Island Park is further, yep that is true. We just found that I.P provided some things Cooke didn't for our crew. Not bashing Cooke, probably will go back there at some point.........

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Robert (LSB), the creator of this thread, has his motel for sale ( www.loopnet.com/Listing/17066260/105-Main-St-Cooke-City-MT/
). Why, if he has it for sale, is he so adament about getting the road plowed? Would getting the road plowed this season potentially boost his short term profits to facilitate a sale (??).

Why, would anyone put this much effort to convince people on his personal beliefs, NOT THE FACTS, to get the road plowed? While all the time their business is for sale. Things that make you go hmmmm.

This is not the first time this plowing issue has come up over the years. And, as stated in my previous posts, always by the people that don't stick around (previously referred to as "flash in the pans")

So Robert, why is it? Why are you pushing for plowing the road when your place is for sale? Why is it you will not post the names of the businesses that support plowing? And, are the ones that support it like yourself for sale too? Has Delaware North (park bus/concess) had maybe an if/then conversation with you?

I will patiently await your response, this information might help some of the readers make a more informed decision.

Again, great job by SNOWEST on the digital article on this at Snowest.com

www.loopnet.com/Listing/17066260/105-Main-St-Cooke-City-MT/

I see Soda Butte is for sale as well........... What is going on?

L

LSB

Khogan, everything is for sale for the most part for the right price. Soda Butte for years, High Country for years, ElkHorn recently sold, Exxon for years, different properties all over the valley are for sale. Are you forgetting I have other properties which aren't for sale. You are such an ugly little instigator and insinuator its sick. People who know me know I have worked here for 10 years giving untold volunteer hours to anything and everything related to snowmobiling. I try as hard as possible to not use my volunteering to pat myself on the back but if you had ever been hurt out there it would have been me and a few others trying to pick you up. *edited* You are coming on trying to trash my reputation and hope that people listen to you. I know what my customers want and I know what happens when businesses try to meet those needs. Your seeing it.

For everyone else:

Here is a funny (or not so) thing to think about. Wyoming's revenues have been dropping like a rock. That is a fact. They could very easily start having problems grooming the Beartooth Trail System whether or not we plow this road. So a very possible outcome in the near future could be Cooke with no plowed access and Wyoming with no grooming program. Dispute that please.

OR plow the road and I believe Wyoming's sticker sales will go up.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
LBS as the person who started this thread you can expect to be attacked. Many will look past the speculation and see it for what it is " a debate ". You guys would prob get along just fine if this wasn't an issue. Its been a rather interesting debate if you only include what I believe is facts and there are some issue's that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
firecat - It will cost you about another hour(from Billings) to drive around depending on the road conditions.

an 1hr not very much to add....i like how the road is closed it gives you "end of the road" feeling and it neat how the trail is the road...........would rather see the road stay un-plowed after reading the facts and what the repercussions might be......Khogn you should leave the personal attacks out of this thread LSB is just trying to open a line of discussion and that is his Opinion its very UGLY on your park to attack him or his business.....Thats his lively hood!!!!

L

LSB

LBS as the person who started this thread you can expect to be attacked. Many will look past the speculation and see it for what it is " a debate ". You guys would prob get along just fine if this wasn't an issue. Its been a rather interesting debate if you only include what I believe is facts and there are some issue's that need to be addressed.

WyoBoy You were right I didn't go there before and shouldn't have so I took it out. But to expect to be attacked is not necessarily true. Debated, yes, Attacked (profanity, name calling etc.) , no. Oh and btw after this ONE instance I am now being threatened physically through private messages. Its funny that I have lived here everyday for 10 years and apparently should know who this guy is. I mean obviously he is pretty important here :face-icon-small-win and he sure took the time to know who I am.

Now more importantly;

The meeting went great. As the end of that article states it was great to FINALLY get all these people to sit down in one spot and talk about things. A lot of questions were answered and new ones were brought up to be answered. To me the prospect of getting an alternative trail sounded very promising. It boils down to maintaining current snowmobile access while allowing businesses to do what they must to succeed. Its doable.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
I have not read everyone's responses, have to work to pay for my riding habit.

Rob, let me know what you need Sean and I to do. As always, we support you on this effort and we support the town of Cooke City.

X2! Been staying out of all the bickering. Was just in Cooke and asked a couple locals what they thought. They were for the road plowed. As always though, theres a plus-minus to everything. Alot of times change is good sometimes not. LSB, If there is anything I can do (letter,email, or a phone call) let me know.

Premium Features