• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adapt Clutch, any good?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
What weights are the noisy ones running?

I’ve got two sleds with a little over 600 adapt miles on each and can’t figure out what noise you’re hearing.
Very pleased so far.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’m running stock cat 59 gr weights. It seems to perform fine, I just hear more sounds coming from the clutches than I remember, but then again it’s been almost 2 months since I rode with the team so maybe it’s not as different as I’m thinking. It’s not like ungodly loud noises that are worrisome, but you can definitely hear things working in there.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
stock 61? 62? gram weights in mine, and yeah just more metallic/harmonics it sounds like coming from mine. noticeable at 6-7k rpm the most. I thought my engine may be getting ready to let go but put another ~500-600km on it since, and with the team back on I don't notice the noise. lol

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
For a beginner how much improvement is it to go to aftermarket adjustable weights instead of stock Cats calibrated to your elevation change? I need to do something when Im at 10k ft. Just throw some Cat weights in there or is it worth it for a beginner to try and fine tune? Most times Im more concerned about not eating a tree than being in the optimal RPM but if im buying weights and changing them anyway might give adjustable a try.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
BDX set screws are much simpler change than weight swap. Just figure out which you need through which elevations. Most guys selling them can give you a close reference.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
in my team i had a set of dalton weights with the set screws and i really liked that way of adjusting them. Ive never run any with the magnets that pop in the side but i liked being able to just open the side panel and change them with the allen wrench.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
For a beginner how much improvement is it to go to aftermarket adjustable weights instead of stock Cats calibrated to your elevation change? I need to do something when Im at 10k ft. Just throw some Cat weights in there or is it worth it for a beginner to try and fine tune? Most times Im more concerned about not eating a tree than being in the optimal RPM but if im buying weights and changing them anyway might give adjustable a try.
I recommend to use stock weights. The factories do a ton of r&d for their stock weights. I haven’t found any argument for adjustable weights or aftermarket weights. Although, I did spend over $2000 over a couple decades on adjustable weights. For the most part, like 95%, a waste of time. Cheers!

H
Jun 17, 2016
Norway
Seems like only i and my buddies is the peolpe who like the team clutches (lol). 2 18 models and 4 19 models. 18 mod cats has alpha skid.

3 of the sled has turbo with 200-215hp. The other alpha sleds is ported and has jaws pipes. No failure with the clutches, no cracks. Driven more than 1500km. The only thing we have done to the clutches expect weights and spring is to shims the clutch.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Seems like only i and my buddies is the peolpe who like the team clutches (lol). 2 18 models and 4 19 models. 18 mod cats has alpha skid.

3 of the sled has turbo with 200-215hp. The other alpha sleds is ported and has jaws pipes. No failure with the clutches, no cracks. Driven more than 1500km. The only thing we have done to the clutches expect weights and spring is to shims the clutch.

I liked the team clutch perfectly fine until it cracked at 1100 miles. Only thing I did to the clutch was change the spring

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

It’s nifty that turbo sleds are easier on clutches.
We must ask ourselves……why? Why can’t we get naturally aspirated sleds to do the same?
Keep thinking and report back on your thoughts.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have five N/A sleds that are past 3000 miles with 18 up clutches. Have yet to crack one. Additionaly have 2 adapts over 500 no issues.

My anamolies are always in an enclosed trailer and rarely ride trails.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I want to think that heat may play a role or is the role., and it may be coincidential, I check my clutch every ride and the last ride my team had It was a deeper pow day and I really went at it, totally forgot about the clutches/belt, I cooked the belt that I did replace it as it was starting to fall apart, coincidentally the clutch was also cracked... Up until then and even now i try to be mindful, stop, open the side panel and let things cool.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have five N/A sleds that are past 3000 miles with 18 up clutches. Have yet to crack one. Additionaly have 2 adapts over 500 no issues.

My anamolies are always in an enclosed trailer and rarely ride trails.
Ya but you ride like girl. Post a video of you riding and let’s see why your clutches last 3000miles. Bahahahaha

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have a set of Bikeman Snypr Adjustable weights for the Adapt for sale -
One trip 50 miles on them / sell for 1/2 the price of new-if anyone is on the fence of adjustable weight's
A person can load them from the top while they are on the machine-and fine tune the load with the bottom magnet's
They worked that good eh?

Premium Features