• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

858s hitting the line!!!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ski Doo does not work with Polaris either. If you download the Garmin Tread App to your phone, you can track up to 20 riders as long as they have the app.
Right. None of the manufacturers' gauges will talk to each other. If they did I'd be more likely to pony up for an expensive gauge, but I'm not spending the money on one until then.

Cell service required for that app to work?

Z
Jan 26, 2011
Right. None of the manufacturers' gauges will talk to each other. If they did I'd be more likely to pony up for an expensive gauge, but I'm not spending the money on one until then.

Cell service required for that app to work?
I would guess it does. It is a pretty cool app though. Shows the trails in satellite imagery or regular mode.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Ski Doo does not work with Polaris either. If you download the Garmin Tread App to your phone, you can track up to 20 riders as long as they have the app.
This is so frustrating. Of course polaris has their "trail tech voyager" unit you can use to sync with the polaris set up. Wish you could universally link all the brands together.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
saw someone had the 858 on the dyno and it made 167hp.
DTR did. It was right in the mix with the other 850s and the 9r. The (2021 model) Polaris 850 was between 166 and 169 in different tests, Doo 850 about 165. 9r hit 170. Looks like it pulls stronger than the Polaris 850 through the mid range and hits peak power at lower rpm. Not quite as strong as the Doo through midrange but catches up around peak power.

Last edited:

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
It feels small and light when you ride it. Having everything pulled to the center and under the rider makes a real difference. Not just from a Cat guys preference, a couple buddys who ride poos and doos said if they were getting new sleds it it would most likely be the 858. To me the ski doo feels toooooo planted keeps trying to get back on two skis poo guys thought the same thing. my buddies axis felt planted and the 9r in the group felt better but the catalyst felt like a dirt bike compared to the others just lean and it goes. barely any wrong foot forward. I and others were over riding it at first but once you learn it just a little its so easy.

C

Chad_Brochill

Oct 26, 2023
Washington
What is it about the chassis that makes it better? Also any idea where it stacks up weight wise compared to doo or poo?
Weight wise I believe it was around 505-510 I can’t remember what snowest said. Anyways a lot lighter than doo and for a comparable 9R (which is the lightest poo) with a good track, the new 325, the cat is lighter.

A base model no upgrades crap suspension 9r with the not-so-good 2.75” track was like 3-5 pounds lighter I think.

There are places cat can still lose weight, but for now they are not worried about it. Also, Cat still seems to be the only ones offering a wide range of shocks that perform well and aren’t overpriced.

C

Chad_Brochill

Oct 26, 2023
Washington
I can't tell if you're being facetious here. Obviously the 800 zuke was very reliable. But I feel like the 18+ ctec picked up right where it left off. Very reliable.
The Ctec has been super reliable. I have an 18 early release m8000 with 4200 miles on the engine, granted this is one case of many. Still has good compression and runs strong. I am planning on getting a top end for it this fall though, don't want to have the pistons or rings let go and ruin my motor.

People love to hate lol. Hating does nothing except ruin whatever culture you are in. Especially when there is no evidence or substance for the hate lmao.

Reactions: Clark42

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Weight wise I believe it was around 505-510 I can’t remember what snowest said. Anyways a lot lighter than doo and for a comparable 9R (which is the lightest poo) with a good track, the new 325, the cat is lighter.

A base model no upgrades crap suspension 9r with the not-so-good 2.75” track was like 3-5 pounds lighter I think.

There are places cat can still lose weight, but for now they are not worried about it. Also, Cat still seems to be the only ones offering a wide range of shocks that perform well and aren’t overpriced.
I have not seen Cat publish weights for their 858 mountain sleds.

C

Chad_Brochill

Oct 26, 2023
Washington
I have not seen Cat publish weights for their 858 mountain sleds.
Well, snowest weighed the 600, which is where the 505-510 number came from. The 858 as a whole sled is lighter than the 600. So what I quoted was correct. Also manufacturer weights cannot be compared like that to one another cause nobody uses a true dry weight or wet weight. The only way to get a true comparison is on the same scale full of fluids.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Hoping to get some real comparisons between the 9R and 858 Catalyst. Being a Cat guy for decades, my loyalty is with Cat buy after one season on the 9R, I am not afraid to admit it was the best mountain sled I've ever owned. I think they'll be easy to jump from one to the other. There was barely a learning curve coming off my Alpha to the 9R.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Did you ride a catalyst 600 last season? I found a few durability issues with them but the chassis handles better in all scenarios than a khaos. They are so fun to ride and I can't wait for my 858 to show up
No, ordered a Catalyst without ever seeing one in person much less putting my legs over one. I am one of those who likes the Alpha rail and my gripes had to with the Ascender. What sealed the deal for me was watching that Jamie dude from BC on YouTube. He could work that sled to its full potential and I plan on doing the same!

Reactions: bkm20x and Krause09

Krause09

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Washington
Did you ride a catalyst 600 last season? I found a few durability issues with them but the chassis handles better in all scenarios than a khaos. They are so fun to ride and I can't wait for my 858 to show up
Yep bought the wife one and it was so much fun to ride I only put on like 50 miles on my ascender, I took hers over! 858 154 3” snopro otw with g8

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
No, ordered a Catalyst without ever seeing one in person much less putting my legs over one. I am one of those who likes the Alpha rail and my gripes had to with the Ascender. What sealed the deal for me was watching that Jamie dude from BC on YouTube. He could work that sled to its full potential and I plan on doing the same!

Saw him in this Vid from Turcotte those dudes can ride!

Reactions: koolaid

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i have a 600 catalyst and ordered the 858. if there was no 858 i would ride the 600 with no problems. liked it better than my ascender and way better than the axis and g4 in our group. the axis was a stage 2 and then owner wants to buy my 600.

Reactions: IDspud and Krause09
Premium Features