• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

858s hitting the line!!!

Hoping to get some real comparisons between the 9R and 858 Catalyst. Being a Cat guy for decades, my loyalty is with Cat buy after one season on the 9R, I am not afraid to admit it was the best mountain sled I've ever owned. I think they'll be easy to jump from one to the other. There was barely a learning curve coming off my Alpha to the 9R.
I went from an 19 Alpha to 22 na Matryx. Kept the Matryx cause I really liked it but got the 600 Catalyst last season as I’ve always been a diehard Cat guy. Wasn’t the greatest snow year but the Matryx didn’t see a snowflake last season. Spent everyday on the Catalyst. Matryx will be going bye bye this year….can’t wait for the 858 to show up

Hmmmm Ive always been a cat guy but left for poo then doo turbo. The doo is way too planted. May have to trade a turbo doo for an 858. lol

rode a g4 and g5 this winter and thought they both felt like riding a a wooden pallet. you were either all the effing way in a sidehill or all the way out of a sidehill, everywhere in between it was fighting you. the axys and matryx were better that way but the my 18 mtn cat was better than them and my catalyst is the best. you want it tipped a little you lean and it stays there. the more you lean the more it leans but doesnt fight you. just so easy to ride.

I fought my Khaos last season. Nothing like my old M7. That thing did exactly what you asked. Hopefully a Poo lover will give my Khaos a good home soon after I list it.

rode a g4 and g5 this winter and thought they both felt like riding a a wooden pallet. you were either all the effing way in a sidehill or all the way out of a sidehill, everywhere in between it was fighting you. the axys and matryx were better that way but the my 18 mtn cat was better than them and my catalyst is the best. you want it tipped a little you lean and it stays there. the more you lean the more it leans but doesnt fight you. just so easy to ride.
Sounds like they are going back to the XP handling days!

Disappointed to see the same part number for the rear running board gussets as last year. Those are an epic failure on the mountain sleds. they need to be far stronger than they are
Didnt see a single broken one in person last year. I ended up putting a Backwoods bumper on mine but that was more because i was afraid of smoking the tunnel.

Didnt see a single broken one in person last year. I ended up putting a Backwoods bumper on mine but that was more because i was afraid of smoking the tunnel.
I broke one every single ride. They do not handle hopovers or jumping. They are probably fine on trail sleds but the mountain sleds need a real gusset. I even tried filling the underside with a piece of welding rod and jb weld to stiffen them up and added a backer plate where they bolt to the tunnel. Once I did that they usually made it 2 rides...

As soon as the hardcore boards became available in mid December I switched but it's ridiculous how fragile they are.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240913_132343_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132343_Photos.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240913_132323_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132323_Photos.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240913_132305_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132305_Photos.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240913_132242_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132242_Photos.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20240913_132223_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132223_Photos.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240913_132207_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132207_Photos.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240913_132053_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240913_132053_Photos.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 45
I'm glad I ordered the Hardcore Running Boards for mine...

That looks weak as s@#t. Not saying your a big guy but most things are designed around 180 lbs man and cant handle us larger fellows jumping around, im 230lbs before i get dressed and throw on a avybag back pack

Disappointed to see the same part number for the rear running board gussets as last year. Those are an epic failure on the mountain sleds. they need to be far stronger than they are
I told a dealer they were slick and they break at a 858 demo. He got mad and told me that was bs. I then told him you might want to get off the trail and people would be happy with them on the trail. That really made him mad and ended the conversation. Broke my daughter's first ride out.

i didnt break any but im 155lbs. dont know if theres room for a small aluminum brace underneath there. i did have a branch bendover and push up through and break my running board but its 85 bucks and easily replacable instead of having aluminum to bend.

i didnt break any but im 155lbs. dont know if theres room for a small aluminum brace underneath there. i did have a branch bendover and push up through and break my running board but its 85 bucks and easily replacable instead of having aluminum to bend.
The actual boards were surprisingly strong. It's just the rear gussets. I only broke 1 board in 400 miles and I broke like 8 or 9 rear gussets. I could deal with cracking a board every once in a while. The gussets are Terrible, once they break your mountain ride is basically over for the day

Would that optional Evo bumper they offer help? It has all that ladder type stuff that goes down the sides behind the boards?

Mine should ship soonafter; I think I ordered mine within a week of Kool-Aid's.

Premium Features

Back