• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
I just checked with our dealer. They only had allocation for 24 snow check 850's. None have gone down yet.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Just keep telling yourself it will be OK... I am sure all the stories are fakes, just like when the 900 was introduced, and then the 800 Dragon, even the '11 Pro's had lots of issues.

This time I am sure you are right though. Just stay the course! LMFAO

I think after the 11 pro's polaris got the memo to make a reliable moter or they were going to loose an even bigger market share, they put the 800 ho out and it was a 180 turnaround for polaris and the resale value and sales showed it... and they went back to #1 selling mtn. Sled. this will be no diffrent, with a 4 year warrenty i know they are confident with it and so am i, comeing off 2 years of a trouble free 800 i have no worries about this moter, check out the posts on what people really think of the 850's, all it is full of good reviews... instead of this post where trolls are... i am guessing you are a sofa rider sitting on here trolling around... throw a leg over an 850 or ride with someone who has one... see if you saw any probs with one... im guessing you havent done that...

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I think after the 11 pro's polaris got the memo to make a reliable moter or they were going to loose an even bigger market share, they put the 800 ho out and it was a 180 turnaround for polaris and the resale value and sales showed it... and they went back to #1 selling mtn. Sled. this will be no diffrent, with a 4 year warrenty i know they are confident with it and so am i, comeing off 2 years of a trouble free 800 i have no worries about this moter, check out the posts on what people really think of the 850's, all it is full of good reviews... instead of this post where trolls are... i am guessing you are a sofa rider sitting on here trolling around... throw a leg over an 850 or ride with someone who has one... see if you saw any probs with one... im guessing you havent done that...

I'm coming off a 16 AXYS 800 with 3,480 trouble free real mountain miles. I'd hate to guess how many hours of WOT in wast deep pow. The sled still runs strong. Wife's 17 AXYS never missed a beat either. Both on 850's and loving them, so far so good!!

S
Jan 1, 2019
we are confident Polaris will quickly respond to whatever is the problem and i have 0 doubts about Polaris under warranty honoring all those claims(unlike the yamaha piece of **** warranty as i am a honda-yamaha dealer as well). One fact remain: never with the axys 800cc we saw this rate of failure so early in the season on top of it and again i am 100% confident that Polaris will take care of business but how long is it going to take? that's the big question. Let's see what is defective on the 4 ones we are going to open today and more on this later on.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

Honestly, I do not know anyone who was foolish enough to trust Polaris this year with a new motor, even my die hard Poo buddies. I owned 3 Pro's, '13.14 and a '16 Axys. My awesome 800 HO Axys motor made it 113 hrs, 1100 miles before it completely shelled out and needed warranty replacement. It was a one season POS for me so YMMV. After that claim Polaris decided to stiff me on further warranty claims for their crappy primary clutch so you may think I am a troll but actually I am a disgruntled former customer. I will not be a Polaris customer again until they get their quality and reliability at least up where the other two manufacturers are.

I am glad you are confident in them, it takes people like you to keep their doors open. Me, I don't beta test for Polaris anymore. If you think I don't ride, load that 850 up and come on down for a visit, we will school you all day in Cat reliability and capability.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Honestly, I do not know anyone who was foolish enough to trust Polaris this year with a new motor, even my die hard Poo buddies. I owned 3 Pro's, '13.14 and a '16 Axys. My awesome 800 HO Axys motor made it 113 hrs, 1100 miles before it completely shelled out and needed warranty replacement. It was a one season POS for me so YMMV. After that claim Polaris decided to stiff me on further warranty claims for their crappy primary clutch so you may think I am a troll but actually I am a disgruntled former customer. I will not be a Polaris customer again until they get their quality and reliability at least up where the other two manufacturers are.

I am glad you are confident in them, it takes people like you to keep their doors open. Me, I don't beta test for Polaris anymore. If you think I don't ride, load that 850 up and come on down for a visit, we will school you all day in Cat reliability and capability.

Sweet, I'd love to see a cat on the snow. They have been a rare breed in the mountains, as stated before by most of us poo riders....we have not found a better overall package or we would be riding it. If cat has that package now there will be thousands of us that switch. Time will tell. On another note, to date NO mountain sleds are 100% reliable.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I gotta agree. The “rough” cylinder cross hatch topic isn’t a real problem. I’d take the 320 grit cross hatch over mirror finish any day. The 320 hatch holds oil better and reduces surface tension. The coating flaking off the piston is questionable on the quality control. However the coating is not even needed. It will be totally gone in 500 miles. If you really need/want the coating, send pistons to swaintech. If there is no metal scarring on piston, rings or cylinders; time, money and the warranty were wasted taking that motor apart.

Indy Dan already covers the whys and hows on this and believe his findings. However, I do feel most won't have issues with this. Some will have ring in piston failures just like every brand does after 2000 plus miles.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Sweet, I'd love to see a cat on the snow. They have been a rare breed in the mountains, as stated before by most of us poo riders....we have not found a better overall package or we would be riding it. If cat has that package now there will be thousands of us that switch. Time will tell. On another note, to date NO mountain sleds are 100% reliable.

Just depends on where you are. Since the Doo dealer locally is the best, I ride with 80% Ski Doos. When I was on Polaris there were 2-3 of us in a group with 6 Doo's and a couple Cats. Now we are down to one Polaris rider, lots of Doo's and an increasing number of Cats. my riding buddy picks up his new Alpha today, can't wait to try that one out!

People are switching, I switched. Obviously none are 100% but if you can pull your head out of the sand you can definitely see there are far more Polaris failures than any other brand or even two brands combined. Is it just coincidence that the Polaris section is the only one where we have these discussions? I suppose everybody else is jealous, even though we all regularly dump money into this sport buying new machines?

I understand how it sucks to have chosen incorrectly because I had an Axys, and it blew up way prematurely. Watching you die hards defend it is truly entertaining and created one of the biggest snowest threads ever. If you didn't see these failures coming it was because you didn't pay attention to Polaris' crap track record with new engines... Trying to deny there is a problem is equally hilarious but, good luck with those 850's. I have stated repeatedly in this thread that I had hoped Polaris fixed its engine issues with the 850 because I love riding that lightweight buggy. Turns out Polaris reputation for bad new motors is continuing.

So unless you can show me a Cat or Doo thread with a dozen broken new motors in it like this one, I think I will stand firm on my opinion that Polaris still makes the least reliable sled by a long shot.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I gotta agree. The “rough” cylinder cross hatch topic isn’t a real problem. I’d take the 320 grit cross hatch over mirror finish any day. The 320 hatch holds oil better and reduces surface tension. The coating flaking off the piston is questionable on the quality control. However the coating is not even needed. It will be totally gone in 500 miles. If you really need/want the coating, send pistons to swaintech. If there is no metal scarring on piston, rings or cylinders; time, money and the warranty were wasted taking that motor apart.

Spoken from a true cylinder finish genius. I don’t know what the sledding world would do without your input.

You’re brilliant !

Dan

S
Feb 21, 2009

never bought a motor from indy dan...but i had his number in my phone for when it happened (when i was on a polaris in 16').

also had buddy with one of his motors in a pro...motor gave out with like a week over his 3yr warranty and dan got him a replacement. my buddy rides an absolute ton of days a year out west. In my book Dan is a stand up guy and stands behind his product 110%. very rare these days.

absolutely love reading his posts. so much information. i just take it all in.

Another happy pro 800 rider , put on his monoblock and sled just straight rips. Just keeps on going. This is a good read ha.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Watching you die hards defend it is truly entertaining and created one of the biggest snowest threads ever.

This is one of the biggest threads in history because of you and people like you continually posting literally nothing constructive or useful whatsoever.

There are less than 50 replies in this thread that contain any useful information at all. The other 700+ replies are full of conjecture and bickering.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
This is one of the biggest threads in history because of you and people like you continually posting literally nothing constructive or useful whatsoever.

There are less than 50 replies in this thread that contain any useful information at all. The other 700+ replies are full of conjecture and bickering.

Actually, a lot of the posts, like mine, are posted and liked by those previously burned by Polaris. Just trying to spread the truth brother! Call it conjecture and bickering but those clowns burned me repeatedly. Everybody with their head in the sand about Polaris motor reliability needs to read BOTH sides.

I think I am providing a public service whci is both constructive and useful. You are just mad at yourself for being sucked in by PI again aren't you? Please don't take that frustration out on me, I was just a burned consumer.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Just depends on where you are. Since the Doo dealer locally is the best, I ride with 80% Ski Doos. When I was on Polaris there were 2-3 of us in a group with 6 Doo's and a couple Cats. Now we are down to one Polaris rider, lots of Doo's and an increasing number of Cats. my riding buddy picks up his new Alpha today, can't wait to try that one out!

People are switching, I switched. Obviously none are 100% but if you can pull your head out of the sand you can definitely see there are far more Polaris failures than any other brand or even two brands combined. Is it just coincidence that the Polaris section is the only one where we have these discussions? I suppose everybody else is jealous, even though we all regularly dump money into this sport buying new machines?

I understand how it sucks to have chosen incorrectly because I had an Axys, and it blew up way prematurely. Watching you die hards defend it is truly entertaining and created one of the biggest snowest threads ever. If you didn't see these failures coming it was because you didn't pay attention to Polaris' crap track record with new engines... Trying to deny there is a problem is equally hilarious but, good luck with those 850's. I have stated repeatedly in this thread that I had hoped Polaris fixed its engine issues with the 850 because I love riding that lightweight buggy. Turns out Polaris reputation for bad new motors is continuing.

So unless you can show me a Cat or Doo thread with a dozen broken new motors in it like this one, I think I will stand firm on my opinion that Polaris still makes the least reliable sled by a long shot.
cat can't break down in the dealer showroom.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
True but, it looks like the 850 is capable of breaking down shortly after it leaves...
all brands are subject to failures.
I can't say the 850 is good or bad but it doesn't look good.

denying the axys and 800ho is a great sled you prove that you don't listen to both side of the story like you prone.

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
How about we start a thread strictly with failures. As detailed as they can be. Include miles, hrs, build date, type of sled, type of riding, and everything you think is relevant.

No b.s.

No wasted posts.

First post could be a well thought out template of what the rest should look like.

A moderator could watch it, keep it clean. Maybe even have some kind of verification. Hopefully someone smarter than me can start something to help keep track of this problem which seems like an epidemic but may be an isolated issue.

Hopefully their wont be that many posts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features