• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Big thread.

This is one of the biggest threads in history because of you and people like you continually posting literally nothing constructive or useful whatsoever.

There are less than 50 replies in this thread that contain any useful information at all. The other 700+ replies are full of conjecture and bickering.

Threads like this started in the Polaris section in 2005.

This is a big thread because there is some problems with the way this motor is designed and built. Like it's been said over and over some will have problems some won't. I just hope you don't have problems in a worst case scenario and can't get it or yourself and riding group out of the mountains!!

I've avoided commenting on this thread till now because I'm a die hard cat guy.
6 cat sleds in the shop.
I own a 2012 belt blowing 310 hp M1100T. I spent the money to fix the problem. It hasn't blown a belt since I did the TCL delete and aligned the motor.

If I owned a Polaris 850 and knew how it was assembled I'd be scared of how long it would run and where it would leave me stranded. If it made it through the season I'd be sending the motor to Indy Dan to make it reliable!!!

Last edited:
M
Jan 1, 2008
mn
hi, i am a dealer in Quebec Canada and i have 6 850 down just this week end. most of them around 350 miles and all locked up, opening them tomorrow….not normal. now i have 6 loaner(800 axys) on the snow with a bunch of guys freaking out. we have over 150 850 on the snow so far and all of them during break-in period was 'burping' exactly like the dragons(ecu mapping off) seems to go away after break-in. Polaris has a BIG problemthat's for sure….we have more than 1000 800's on the snow since 2016 and only a handful of motors rebuild, we know we have a problem.
just so you guys know we are at sea level here

Curious how you got allocated that many 850 sleds. Most I heard of dealers getting was at best maybe 10-20.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I think I am providing a public service whci is both constructive and useful. You are just mad at yourself for being sucked in by PI again aren't you? Please don't take that frustration out on me, I was just a burned consumer.

:yuck:

Damn Big10........ I think you are still bitter about your Polaris experience. That is absolutely your right to be bitter and switch brands--which you did. Stoked you are happy with Cat.

BUT... you are now basically trolling in the Polaris section. You don't own an 850 and you haven't been around one that went down. You (understandably) have no desire to buy another Polaris currently...... so why exactly are you so interested in this thread or the Polaris section in general?

If those of us in the Polaris section choose to ride Polaris, that's our choice. If we leave them stock, or have Indy Specialty (or any other shop) do work to them, that's our choice. You have the right to your opinion, but if you come in the Polaris section and do nothing but bash Polaris and Polaris purchasers..... expect to be MODERATED.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
They're just sleds, built to be on the ragged edge, and minimize failures for the OEM before warranty expires. These guys are trying to make money, and will eventually figure it out. If they don't, they move on to the next big thing. Sometimes it costs them some real $ to resolve, and we won't know for at least another 60 days. Until then, ride till they blow, carry a 403c and the number for a heli recovery ride.

Great thread with minimal corp BS. Think how boring it is over in they Yamaha section. Thank you Snowest. Just drives Poo suits nuts when this stuff gets passed to them from the engineers, for all kinds of reasons. And it does, don't doubt it. The marketing crew gets even more wound up when it hits fakebook. Like Like Like ...

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Threads like this started in the Polaris section in 2005.

This is a big thread because there is some problems with the way this motor is designed and built. Like it's been said over and over some will have problems some won't. I just hope you don't have problems in a worst case scenario and can't get it or yourself and riding group out of the mountains!!

I've avoided commenting on this thread till now because I'm a die hard cat guy.
6 cat sleds in the shop.
I own a 2012 belt blowing 310 hp M1100T. I spent the money to fix the problem. It hasn't blown a belt since I did the TCL delete and aligned the motor.

If I owned a Polaris 850 and knew how it was assembled I'd be scared of how long it would run and where it would leave me stranded. If it made it through the season I'd be sending the motor to Indy Dan to make it reliable!!!
No...he's 100% correct....it's a big thread mostly because of posts like this that have nothing to do with 850 issues...and more to do with people from another brand all excited about fresh brand bashing material. As usual, the people most worried about issues of brand X ...own something else. So you have to wade through all that to get the real actual info from actual owners.

It is actually making it really hard to see how many people have actually had an issue. It seems like very few....maybe 5 (??) people actually reporting on here? But it's pretty hard to tell, because this is the 2nd thread to go down the toilet on this. I have been trying to keep track, because I have posted about the actual failures I have been involved in, and would like to see how prevalent any issues actually are.

S
Jan 1, 2019
next one: seized center bearing pto side(this sled suffered an unclipped pto oil line failure one day prior to this failure). both of those sleds were out of break-in mode only a few hours(oil pump). aside those failures, both sleds suffered both from center bearings being almost gone even though both center bearing being completely independently sealed from each other wich is telling me we might have a center bearing oiling problem. there absolutely no reason for the center bearing(mag side) to be that worn out on those sleds has none of them suffered mag side seizure.....so basicaly, if those 2 sleds didn't suffer those breakage, it would have been not too long befor center bearing seizure anyway....also, both of the sleds had nice and wet mag side pistons.

20190102_130344.jpg 20190102_130359.jpg 20190102_130430.jpg

Last edited:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
No...he's 100% correct....it's a big thread mostly because of posts like this that have nothing to do with 850 issues...and more to do with people from another brand all excited about fresh brand bashing material. As usual, the people most worried about issues of brand X ...own something else. So you have to wade through all that to get the real actual info from actual owners.

It is actually making it really hard to see how many people have actually had an issue. It seems like very few....maybe 5 (??) people actually reporting on here? But it's pretty hard to tell, because this is the 2nd thread to go down the toilet on this. I have been trying to keep track, because I have posted about the actual failures I have been involved in, and would like to see how prevalent any issues actually are.

The 2 closest sled dealers to me are Polaris dealers. I have connections to both places. So I'd love to be a customer.
Get over the brand bashing. Lots of you Poo and Doo guys do the exact same thing.
I was hoping this motor would change my mind. Polaris hasn't proved to me that they can build a reliable motor yet never mind gambling on a first year motor where lots of things are different. These 2 dealers only snow checked a few 850's. No where near what they were aloud to order.
Why? We all know why!!!

I can see what the issues are with this motor.
Can you?
I complete agree with Indy Dan on what's wrong with this motor! And stand by what I said. If I owned a 850 and it made it through this season I'd send it to Indy Dan and let his shop make it reliable.

If that's brand bashing I'm sorry I offended you!!

Last edited:

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
i don't own an 850. i almost bought one tho, i like polaris sleds (had an axys 2 years ago). never disliked it at all. was great to me.

but we watch these threads and comment in them. just because i own a cat now doesn't make my opinion less or care for this motor any more or less. I don't want to see it fail. I want to read and talk about issues with it. why does everyone discredit us NON-owners....lol. we are potential customers doing their homework. nothing more, nothing less.

i think there is an issue here, i'm hoping polaris gets it figured out.

Last edited:
P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
next one: seized center bearing pto side(this sled suffered an unclipped pto oil line failure one day prior to this failure). both of those sleds were out of break-in mode only a few hours(oil pump). aside those failures, both sleds suffered both from center bearings being almost gone even though both center bearing being completely independently sealed from each other wich is telling me we might have a center bearing oiling problem. there absolutely no reason for the center bearing(mag side) to be that worn out on those sleds has none of them suffered mag side seizure.....so basicaly, if those 2 sleds didn't suffer those breakage, it would have been not too long befor center bearing seizure anyway....also, both of the sleds had nice and wet mag side pistons.

Wow. Those pics are gnarly, what a mess. Way to go polaris. Feel sorry for the guys that lose their season.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
At the end of the day, we all have the same love of this sport. I sure hope Polaris will get on this as quickly as possible. I feel for the guys having these issues. What a bummer.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The 2 closest sled dealers to me are Polaris dealers. I have connections to both places. So I'd love to be a customer.
Get over the brand bashing. Lots of you Poo and Doo guys do the exact same thing.
I was hoping this motor would change my mind. Polaris hasn't proved to me that they can build a reliable motor yet never mind gambling on a first year motor where lots of things are different. These 2 dealers only snow checked a few 850's. No where near what they were aloud to order.
Why? We all know why!!!
!
Again...I was one of the first people to post details on two 850 failures I was involved in...so, no, I am not “offended.” I just don’t understand the concern from people who have no skin in the game.

I have ridden Polaris since a new 2011 Pro...2015 Pro...and every year of Axys. I have not missed 1 day on the snow, or been towed out in all of those years. So just like you think Polaris can’t build anything reliable...I think many “issues” are blown way up on the net, and don’t affect the vast majority of riders. Still trying to figure out where this lands on the scale.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Again...I was one of the first people to post details on two 850 failures I was involved in...so, no, I am not “offended.” I just don’t understand the concern from people who have no skin in the game.

I have ridden Polaris since a new 2011 Pro...2015 Pro...and every year of Axys. I have not missed 1 day on the snow, or been towed out in all of those years. So just like you think Polaris can’t build anything reliable...I think many “issues” are blown way up on the net, and don’t affect the vast majority of riders. Still trying to figure out where this lands on the scale.

Same here, 2011 pro, 2013 pro, 2015 pro, 2016 AXYS and 2019 850
Towed out once in all these years, my fault didn't latch side panel quick drive side and packed engine compartment full of snow and took out quick drive belt. Thousands of miles and lots of deep days in steep terrain....I can't complain as I'm definitely a lucky poo owner. Wife and I rode the 850's today and loving them, fingers crossed? Probably have my sled go down after this post, nock on wood!

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut

you're starting to give some people in here flashbacks from the 900 and dragon days. where's the PTSD meds?

Premium Features