• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
It’s only 15 grand.. Why all the fuss? Nobody should be whining until next winter when they realize it’s only worth $8k.. That 850 is sick dude

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Pretty much yes….
On one customer sled who suffered a crankshaft seizure 2 weeks ago with only 5 miles, Polaris asked us to replace with a new block assembly, new oil pump, new injectors….wich means they, at that time, had no idea what caused this failure. My son locked his 850 yesterday and mine started to temporarely semi lock(at low rpm wanted to stall)….not very funny.

6 sleds in one area is suspect.. Did you check the fuel? What gasoline? Piston seize can be caused by many different reasons as with crank failures. Bogging doesn’t necessarily mean it seized.. could simply be some water in the fuel. Siphon gas out and put in glass container. Then let it separate. It’s the dealers responsibility to find the root cause. Polaris just provides the parts..

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
OK, one post on a new account? If you ARE a new member and a dealer ...welcome to snowest.

If your a steal...er and just stirring the pot :face-icon-small-dis

OTM[/QUOTE I own 2 Polaris dealer and i am trying to be helpfull here sharing and looking for infos, not stirring up any pot.

How many 850s would you say you sold all together? How many failed?

J
Feb 26, 2018
Picture of a new letter to dealers from Facebook. Not sure if it is authentic.

attachment.php

poo letter (2).jpg

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
both of those team tip have been posted in this thread. The coating one seems to be directly related to this thread and Dan's info.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Serious question for Dan or other builders out there. We've pointed out in this thread and many others that Polaris obviously has no idea how to build a top end, and apparently screwed the pooch now on the bottom end....but we're gonna say that same company has the BEST oil out there???

W
Jan 29, 2010
NH
not buying it!!

Got my 850 163 a little late but my dealer got it prep. right away. broke it in the way they said. and have 270 miles on it now. 1/2 trail and 1/2 off trail quite a few high speed passes up to 87 mph to get my clutching dialed in. pulling hard and running pretty flawlessly

The last thing I would do is to take down a motor with a 4 year warranty to critique the hone on the cylinders..

I am on my 4th new Polaris and I have had 0 problems with their motors. is there room for improvement, sure but I am not going to start doubting Polaris over this post.

If I have any issues I am confident that they will be taken care of by my dealer and Polaris.

sorry Dan you have had a lot of good content but on this one , NO SALE!!

S
Jan 1, 2019
6 sleds in one area is suspect.. Did you check the fuel? What gasoline? Piston seize can be caused by many different reasons as with crank failures. Bogging doesn’t necessarily mean it seized.. could simply be some water in the fuel. Siphon gas out and put in glass container. Then let it separate. It’s the dealers responsibility to find the root cause. Polaris just provides the parts..
I guess you didn't read i was a Polaris dealer??? for your reference we can troubleshoot pretty much any problems but with new engines like the 850 and the rate of failure something is definitely wrong…..for what i know tonight, no pistons seizure, all of them are crankshaft bearing failure...we were closed for the new year's holiday and open tomorrow so hopefully we will know more.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Is it just me or is this whole post just a bunch of speculation about the 850's going down, the rest it seems are my buddies friends dads sled or first time posters with no pictures.. i think on here there was like 4 or 5 that went down and it seemed like they all have done it before they got out of break in.... than everyone is on the 850 is going to be a lemon engine bandwagon with this dan dude the ringleader... my 850 is going strong not a prob at all... 20 hrs on it so far.... and i think there is a huge number of owners in the sme boat as me... just my 2 cents..

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Got my 850 163 a little late but my dealer got it prep. right away. broke it in the way they said. and have 270 miles on it now. 1/2 trail and 1/2 off trail quite a few high speed passes up to 87 mph to get my clutching dialed in. pulling hard and running pretty flawlessly

The last thing I would do is to take down a motor with a 4 year warranty to critique the hone on the cylinders..

I am on my 4th new Polaris and I have had 0 problems with their motors. is there room for improvement, sure but I am not going to start doubting Polaris over this post.

If I have any issues I am confident that they will be taken care of by my dealer and Polaris.

sorry Dan you have had a lot of good content but on this one , NO SALE!!

I gotta agree. The “rough” cylinder cross hatch topic isn’t a real problem. I’d take the 320 grit cross hatch over mirror finish any day. The 320 hatch holds oil better and reduces surface tension. The coating flaking off the piston is questionable on the quality control. However the coating is not even needed. It will be totally gone in 500 miles. If you really need/want the coating, send pistons to swaintech. If there is no metal scarring on piston, rings or cylinders; time, money and the warranty were wasted taking that motor apart.

S
Jan 1, 2019
How many 850s would you say you sold all together? How many failed?

we have +- 150 on the snow but most of them are just starting to ride and putting mileage on them. in my riding group me, my son and couple minutes ago my brother's850 started to seized….the 7th this week end. Polaris is a very large company with customer care in mind and they will figure it out but there is one thing i know: it ain't a coincidence what's happening and it is for real and it ain't specific to a closed area. One of my parts guy is a polaris pro rider and he has 25 hours of tree riding (on off on throttle with not so many miles on and all is good so far(i haven't spoke with him since a week and a half). all of us have one point in common, we have all just gone out of break-in mode(oil pump 35% reduced in volume after 15 hours) and we are ride long runs. we have pretty much all seized our engine at low rpm as well.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I own 2 Polaris dealer and i am trying to be helpfull here sharing and looking for infos, not stirring up any pot.

Thanks Silent Sledder for sharing info. I think there are a lot of guys on here that really appreciate having a dealer on here who see's the problem first hand and is willing to comment on it.

:thumb:

OTM

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I guess you didn't read i was a Polaris dealer??? for your reference we can troubleshoot pretty much any problems but with new engines like the 850 and the rate of failure something is definitely wrong…..for what i know tonight, no pistons seizure, all of them are crankshaft bearing failure...we were closed for the new year's holiday and open tomorrow so hopefully we will know more.

If you are legit what is your dealership name? I don't like trolls.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Is it just me or is this whole post just a bunch of speculation about the 850's going down, the rest it seems are my buddies friends dads sled or first time posters with no pictures.. i think on here there was like 4 or 5 that went down and it seemed like they all have done it before they got out of break in.... than everyone is on the 850 is going to be a lemon engine bandwagon with this dan dude the ringleader... my 850 is going strong not a prob at all... 20 hrs on it so far.... and i think there is a huge number of owners in the sme boat as me... just my 2 cents..

Just keep telling yourself it will be OK... I am sure all the stories are fakes, just like when the 900 was introduced, and then the 800 Dragon, even the '11 Pro's had lots of issues.

This time I am sure you are right though. Just stay the course! LMFAO

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
silent how many 850 that you sold have bit the dust? just trying to get a perspective on the percentage.
and on the cylinders.... you never should be able to hook a nail on the finish! when I was younger and money was tight if I dropped a skirt or scored a cylinder on 1 side I would just redo that 1 cylinder and drop pistons in both sides {hade no honing stones so wouldn't even deglaze the other judge} and have hade the old judge out last the new one on some occasions, as life went on money wasn't so tight I was able to start gathering tools and got several hones and porting tools/stones. when you start playing with your engines you learn quickly what NOT to do :( as it costs a lot of cash to replace what ya ruined! one thing I can tell you is a hone/ crosshatch that is to aggressive is worse than one that is glazed from 1500 miles of riding and a glazed judge is smooth as a baby's but cheek! I cant say what's to smooth of a finish/hone as I have never hade the tools to produce that kind of finish but I can assure you if you can hook a nail on a finish or any old marks in a judge that judge needs sent in and refinished/re-plaited or its going to be short lived.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
we have +- 150 on the snow but most of them are just starting to ride and putting mileage on them. in my riding group me, my son and couple minutes ago my brother's850 started to seized….the 7th this week end. Polaris is a very large company with customer care in mind and they will figure it out but there is one thing i know: it ain't a coincidence what's happening and it is for real and it ain't specific to a closed area. One of my parts guy is a polaris pro rider and he has 25 hours of tree riding (on off on throttle with not so many miles on and all is good so far(i haven't spoke with him since a week and a half). all of us have one point in common, we have all just gone out of break-in mode(oil pump 35% reduced in volume after 15 hours) and we are ride long runs. we have pretty much all seized our engine at low rpm as well.
150 840??? holy chit I didn't know we had such big dealers in QC

Premium Features