• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
There will always be guys that have machined parts and think theirs is better then Polaris engineers. That never changes and never will. Do their stuff and ur 4 year warranty is gone plain and simple. I respect some opinions , but some in this thread are way overboard and ridiculous. Money keeps small shops open.

Yes your chitty, slow to respond Polaris warranty on the engine will be gone. So will 99% of the risk of it blowing up prematurely. Then it is replaced by Indy Dans 3 year warranty that seems to be a no questions asked type of deal with excellent support and turn around.

Go ahead and count on Polaris to take care of you and just see how that works out. They do not have the best track record. Dan, on the other hand, has a superb record of taking care of customers and providing quality products and services.

IMO, the smartest thing you could do is yank your new 850 motor and send it to Dan, void the crap Polaris warranty and get a well built, quality machined replacement with a good warranty. That is a Polaris I might switch back to. Until Polaris gets quality and durability up where it needs to be, you can have your 4 year warranty and the trials that will come with it.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Yes your chitty, slow to respond Polaris warranty on the engine will be gone. So will 99% of the risk of it blowing up prematurely. Then it is replaced by Indy Dans 3 year warranty that seems to be a no questions asked type of deal with excellent support and turn around.

Go ahead and count on Polaris to take care of you and just see how that works out. They do not have the best track record. Dan, on the other hand, has a superb record of taking care of customers and providing quality products and services.

IMO, the smartest thing you could do is yank your new 850 motor and send it to Dan, void the crap Polaris warranty and get a well built, quality machined replacement with a good warranty. That is a Polaris I might switch back to. Until Polaris gets quality and durability up where it needs to be, you can have your 4 year warranty and the trials that will come with it.

Or just dont buy the 850 polaris in the first place ! lol plenty of other good sleds out there !

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Is that water pump impeller plastic?

Yes, they have been for many years.

Hey Murph sorry i missed you... No i have not seen a 2019 800 cylinder yet.

I am really want to see one ASAP ! to see if it matches the 850

Hey WAX..... we will be heading out your way in the very near future !! When ever we hear a good storm hits.

And we can sneak out of the shop !

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Nice looking heads, is it a bump in compression or just different combustion chamber shape/vol.? Are the heads tied to ea. other under the water crossover, or just letting the beefy webs down below keep it tied together? And by the way what is stock compression for low lander sleds vs. mountain sleds? Timing different? One last question are the wrist pins on ctr., or slightly offset to one side? Thanks MIke

Thanks !

As for volume........the one on here now is stock volume Hemi design, we also have the exact copy to the Polaris OEM dome and we are testing them this coming week.

We thought seperate would be kinda cool looking and out of the box.

The head covers seperate.... Its Mono cylinder so plenty of strength.

They are tied together by the water manifold and the DET plate.

Main reason we built this set up is for the Turbo guys that want reduced compression.....so they don't have to buy race fuel.

We make the domes in 1/2cc sizes any size you want.

Also will make custom to your exact number.

Dan

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Or just dont buy the 850 polaris in the first place ! lol plenty of other good sleds out there !

That's what I did as well... This being the Polaris forum, most already have an 850 Polaris.

I wanted the new motor to be the missing link for Polaris. I wanted to switch back to a sled 40 lbs lighter than the others because, it matters. Unfortunately the 4 yr warranty isn't enough incentive for me when you KNOW you are going to be using it for a motor replacement or three. The down time and hassle put a serious kink in the riding pleasure you would expect from a new sled. So, I changed ponies too.

Like always, I want an amalgamation of the three... Doo 850 motor, Poo or Cat clutching, Axys chassis with Alpha Cat rear suspension. I want all that for $10 grand and it needs to be reliable for 2-3 seasons of mtn riding.

Good thing none of us expects too much...

H

HSR

Nov 28, 2007
Atikokan,Ont

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

Ratchit Quote : " but some in this thread are way overboard and ridiculous. "

Yeah and then he comes on this thread and talks smack pointed at me... And most know exactly who it was pointed at.

Ohhhhhh....... I sold several complete motors to guys that sawed them in half from them wonderful titanium wrist pins. few can imagine what is involved
in running a roller bearing in a snowmobile connecting rod.

The glass house rule........if you live in a glass house don't throw stones.

Dan

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The warrantee game the manufacturers play is real. It is all about slow turn around and them trying to find a way out by blaming you. There is no reason a motor can't be shipped 2 to 3 day air and installed immediately to get you back on the snow for next weekend. But they usually take longer, sometimes months, to fix it. This downtime kills seasons for some. To be fair, back in 2008 I had my M1000 motor crank let go. Took over 2 months to get a new motor. Why? Was out of the first year warrantee, which means the claim was handled by a borderline crooked 3rd party agency who took forever to validate the claim. Was out January to March...most of the season. It was intentional. It was wrong. I expect the same for this motor due to "backordered" parts (which is another bs lie...they could build more in a second, but wont). So, the backing of warrantee is a real concern...one I have not had good luck with for many manifacturers

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
The warrantee game the manufacturers play is real. It is all about slow turn around and them trying to find a way out by blaming you. There is no reason a motor can't be shipped 2 to 3 day air and installed immediately to get you back on the snow for next weekend. But they usually take longer, sometimes months, to fix it. This downtime kills seasons for some. To be fair, back in 2008 I had my M1000 motor crank let go. Took over 2 months to get a new motor. Why? Was out of the first year warrantee, which means the claim was handled by a borderline crooked 3rd party agency who took forever to validate the claim. Was out January to March...most of the season. It was intentional. It was wrong. I expect the same for this motor due to "backordered" parts (which is another bs lie...they could build more in a second, but wont). So, the backing of warrantee is a real concern...one I have not had good luck with for many manifacturers

Yep....... AND THAT IS THE VERY REASON WHY I POSTED THE INFO I POSTED ON THIS THREAD !

I have had 850 Piston ordered for over 6 weeks.

Most white collar business management employees at NASDAQ companies cannot be trusted..... Smoke and Mirrors everyday.

Its all about the share holders.

Dan

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
I have my own suspicions on what the background of this 850 engine really is.

I have heard all the talk about how it had been being tested for the last 4-5 years and what not. Well. we heard that same thing about the 2008 CFi-4 engine and I think the 900 as well.. Do we need to mention the Ultra 680?

Here is my guess.. Both Cat and Polaris were blind-sided with the 850 DOO release. Doo kept it under wraps very well.
They had been working on an engine but felt they had some time to continue the R&D with it. Then the DOO bombs dropped.

The released it as a Snow Check only , not to help their dealers with remaining inventory, but to minimize the amount of engines that were on the snow.

Cat also has a new engine but chose to finish R&D and release the mono rail in its place (from its single ski offering coming this year)

The 850 Polaris engine has some great features and some not so great.

I have been studying this engine's top end since July. It is a very nice cylinder capable of some great power. The piston could be one of the worst piston designs I have ever witnessed.

The short-comings and design mistakes will show up once everybody gets more miles on them.

I think it premature to think that there is an epidemic and need for a mass recall.

Time will tell, and it will all be clear enough very soon.

In the mean time, this is the most powerful engine Polaris has ever released. It has huge potential. Any durability issues can be fixed by Polaris or the aftermarket like they always are.
Polaris loves for us consumers and aftermarket suppliers to do the "testing" for them. And we ALWAYS oblige.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
first snow fell in the midwest this past weekend and the flat landers are finally out with their new 850s. my friend just bombed an 850 on a trail sled at 70 miles.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
Dan: I will keep you posted as to a “storm” if and when one ever hits Togwotee or the Snowy range. Something coming in tomorrow but has 40 mph winds with it.

Addie: I agree 100% with you the manufactures let the dealers do there R&D. It was the same way with the largest heavy equipment manufacturer here in the USA. They would come out with a new product send it the dealers and let them figure it out.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Dan: I will keep you posted as to a “storm” if and when one ever hits Togwotee or the Snowy range. Something coming in tomorrow but has 40 mph winds with it.

Addie: I agree 100% with you the manufactures let the dealers do there R&D. It was the same way with the largest heavy equipment manufacturer here in the USA. They would come out with a new product send it the dealers and let them figure it out.

Service letters on m series graders....

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I have my own suspicions on what the background of this 850 engine really is.

I have heard all the talk about how it had been being tested for the last 4-5 years and what not. Well. we heard that same thing about the 2008 CFi-4 engine and I think the 900 as well.. Do we need to mention the Ultra 680?

Here is my guess.. Both Cat and Polaris were blind-sided with the 850 DOO release. Doo kept it under wraps very well.
They had been working on an engine but felt they had some time to continue the R&D with it. Then the DOO bombs dropped.

The released it as a Snow Check only , not to help their dealers with remaining inventory, but to minimize the amount of engines that were on the snow.

Cat also has a new engine but chose to finish R&D and release the mono rail in its place (from its single ski offering coming this year)

The 850 Polaris engine has some great features and some not so great.

I have been studying this engine's top end since July. It is a very nice cylinder capable of some great power. The piston could be one of the worst piston designs I have ever witnessed.

The short-comings and design mistakes will show up once everybody gets more miles on them.

I think it premature to think that there is an epidemic and need for a mass recall.

Time will tell, and it will all be clear enough very soon.

In the mean time, this is the most powerful engine Polaris has ever released. It has huge potential. Any durability issues can be fixed by Polaris or the aftermarket like they always are.
Polaris loves for us consumers and aftermarket suppliers to do the "testing" for them. And we ALWAYS oblige.

I have a Carl’s Cycle stage 4 kit on a 17’ AXY and felt it ran better then the 850 when I rode them side by side the stage 4 definitely had a better low end and mid range with a similar top end.

Premium Features