• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan: As we all know, you are covered over. But what kind of time frame and ball park cost for you to do the above mentioned on the 850? Thanks

Wax..... its not really a big deal to do the work at all we could as many as 50 per day as far as machining goes.

If we just had the bearing and empty case.

Its all the handling.... checking stuff from UPS then loading all the customer info in the sytem.... then running it thru the shop.... then payment... then packaging and shipping..... and then throw in a few customer calls or e-mails asking......

If it got there ?....
if we started on it yet ?
when will it be done ?
Is it shipped yet ?
Can i get tracking info ?

So that being said...

Bearing machining -$75
Case machining - $125.00
Total -------------- $200

Processing thru the system $150.00
Plus shipping.

So that means about a round $400 bucks

If it was a saturday morning and a guy dropped it off with a note saying i'll pay cash call me when it done i went to go get breakfast ( and i don't need an invoice )

It would be $150 all day long........ But if 10 guys showed up then it would be tuff because now you have to keep track of everyones parts all at the sametime with no notes and engravings.

So.....once things get big enough the processing eats up most of the time.

Clutch work would be $75.00 here if it wasn't for the awesome amount of logistics involved.

the bulk of the work is simple and fast.

Turn around is really quick... like only a day or two.

This does not include the Rod machining.

Dan

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
So in short, send your parts with cash and a return address and phone number. Wait, like a little kid at the candy store, at the post office for it all to return.

If you were closer a drop off would be a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
There will always be guys that have machined parts and think theirs is better then Polaris engineers. That never changes and never will. Do their stuff and ur 4 year warranty is gone plain and simple. I respect some opinions , but some in this thread are way overboard and ridiculous. Money keeps small shops open.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
There will always be guys that have machined parts and think theirs is better then Polaris engineers. That never changes and never will. Do their stuff and ur 4 year warranty is gone plain and simple. I respect some opinions , but some in this thread are way overboard and ridiculous. Money keeps small shops open.

We are going to ride ours hard and let Polaris take care of any problems if they arise. Good chance some of us will get a season (or two) of hard mountain riding
and then get a new upgraded engine (if Dans predictions are correct).
This sled is the easiest to ride and the most fun ever and I for one am very happy to have one!!!
Cheers

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
And very complicated to answer.

My ( personal ) answer would be the 850 hands down my a country mile !

Reason is as follows. ( personal Answer )

On the 2018 800 motor I would ......

#1- would do polish Hone the cylinder so in trail form the Pistons will go 10,000 miles plus. 2500 to 5000 mountain miles.

#2 - remove the stock single OEM PTO bearing and switch it to a double Koyo set-up and machine a locker in the case.

#3 - machine 8 oil slots into the bottom of the rods

#4- remove the upper crankcase check valve and run without it.

The ( 2109 ) 850 I would ......

#1- polish hone the stock cylinder so so in trail form the Pistons will last 10,000 miles plus... 2500 to 5000 mountain miles.

#2- lock ring the factory PTO bearing and into the case.

#3- machine 8 extra oil slots into bottom of the rods.

#4- remove the center upper case check valve and run without it.

#5- machine 2 tiny groves into the crankcase area to get more oil to the 2 center bearings.

So you ask the question........ ( why pick the 850 if you are going to update both motors the same way? ) ?

The reason is the electrical system in the 850 is off the charts better then the 2018 and older 800's

The electrical system on the 2015 thru 2018 800 sleds is absolutely horse chit !!

And the 2015 thru 2108 8000 sleds have more dependability problems because of electrical demons then motor problems by a country mile.

SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE 850 THAT ARE BETTER.

I LOVE THE 850 !!

Ohhhhhh..... I also found a few more details on the PTO crank seal that Polaris updated mid production.

I have pictures of both seals.... Big difference same part number.

Dan

Hi Dan. What would you have done to the Doo 850 enginge? Just for comparisons.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Troll? I just bought an 850 SKS 155” and it’ll hopefully survive at least 2 hard seasons of chasing tail(predators) then it can blow for fresh engine under warranty

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
PTO Seal Picture

where are the pictures of the seal im interested to see them... I don't think that will be the only mid production change/fix that we will see.?.?> well If are lucky it wont be :D
850 PTO seal Mid Production update.JPG
Notice the size difference in the seal Lugs.

One would think they were trying to stop the bearing from crushing the smaller lugs......

If the lugs get crushed flat the oil hole is plugged off by the bearing.

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Connecting Rod oil fitting

Stock connecting rod oil fitting.JPG

850 connecting rod oil fitting shortened..JPGBelow are 2 pictures of the 850 connecting rod oil fitting.

Stock and a shortened picture.

The reason i show this is because we have been doing this to the 900's since
2005 and the reason we do it is this.....

With the fitting stock length these is no problem at all when the motor is assembled.

But when just the bottom -end is sitting there ( People ) - ( Men ) Male spieces like to play.

If you grab the rods after assembly to give the old girl a spin to see how it feels ......the Rod slot hooks the tip of the oil fitting and smashes it closed.

There is absolutely no reason for this fitting to sit inside the rod slot.

At 8400 RPM the wind from the rod smashes the oil against the case. ( The fitting does not high pressure ) --- ( Spray oil )

So for safety reason we shortedn them flat with the case.

Dan

Last edited:
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor; border-image: none;"> Originally Posted by sumtinwong
where are the pictures of the seal im interested to see them... I don't think that will be the only mid production change/fix that we will see.?.?> well If are lucky it wont be
biggrin.gif

</td></tr></tbody></table>Click on attachment below

One would think they were trying to stop the bearing from crushing the smaller lugs......

Dan <!-- / message --> <!-- attachments --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Images</legend> <table border="0" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td>
jpg.gif
</td><td>850 PTO seal Mid Production update.JPG (113.1 KB, 0 views)

yep, it looks a little like they tried to give it a "spacer"... to say the least it should keep the assembly lines from starting with the bearing over the oil port :) just cant help but ask... could you hook your finger nail on that factory hone it looks like the hone is supper deep in the pict?
</td></tr></tbody></table></fieldset>

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
850 Center bearing oil passages

850 Upper Crankcase, center oil passage machining..JPGOk, I changed my mind about removing the inner upper case Banjo fitting.

Because i heard of several center bearings locking up, And I really do not like the fact that Polaris moved the center seals from being inside center bearing towards the crank wheels...... to inward..... inside the bearings.

I like the old 600,700,800 small block set up much better where the center bearing were in a bath of oil from the center drive gear section.

And not depending on lube from the rod area of the crank which is mostly a mist of oil like the old fusion 755 and 866 motors.

So the way i set mine up is the center section will pump oil to both center bearings at the 12 '0 clock position instead of just pumpinh into the Mag cylinder out the over flow banjo fitting.

I like this idea much better then removing the fitting

Dan.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Nice looking heads, is it a bump in compression or just different combustion chamber shape/vol.? Are the heads tied to ea. other under the water crossover, or just letting the beefy webs down below keep it tied together? And by the way what is stock compression for low lander sleds vs. mountain sleds? Timing different? One last question are the wrist pins on ctr., or slightly offset to one side? Thanks MIke

Last edited:
N
Dec 19, 2010
View attachment 298883

Dan

I hope I'm wrong here, but are we thinking they want the larger lugs to keep the " new massive bearing " in place? :bowl:

Thanks for all the pics, they are priceless. Us machinists / aircraft mechanics are kind of weird over details lol...

Premium Features