• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
Ratchit Quote : " but some in this thread are way overboard and ridiculous. "

Yeah and then he comes on this thread and talks smack pointed at me... And most know exactly who it was pointed at.

Ohhhhhh....... I sold several complete motors to guys that sawed them in half from them wonderful titanium wrist pins. few can imagine what is involved
in running a roller bearing in a snowmobile connecting rod.

The glass house rule........if you live in a glass house don't throw stones.

Dan
Wasn’t a poke at you Dan, just stating the obvious with 4 year warranty

What people are failing to do,.. or those that "a friend of a friend's neighbor said another 850 went down" is POST THE DAMN BUILD DATE!!!!

From what I am seeing anything built before November has had or has failed,.. post up the fricken build dates.

My sled has 15hrs and 300km and runs FLAWLESS,.. build date Nov 6.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
What people are failing to do,.. or those that "a friend of a friend's neighbor said another 850 went down" is POST THE DAMN BUILD DATE!!!!

From what I am seeing anything built before November has had or has failed,.. post up the fricken build dates.

My sled has 15hrs and 300km and runs FLAWLESS,.. build date Nov 6.

Realize that this is the Internet and as such, failures (negativity) will ALWAYS trump the positive. Although enlightening and making for a good read on the ****ter, it’s all speculation at this point.

Funny thing...give us a sled 10 years ago like we can buy off the showroom floor today and no one would complain about relays or cylinder honing.

It’s easy to be a critic...it’s not easy to produce a product to satisfy some critics.

Let er rip and enjoy your new sleds and the associated experiences...life is too short.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Realize that this is the Internet and as such, failures (negativity) will ALWAYS trump the positive. Although enlightening and making for a good read on the ****ter, it’s all speculation at this point.

Funny thing...give us a sled 10 years ago like we can buy off the showroom floor today and no one would complain about relays or cylinder honing.

It’s easy to be a critic...it’s not easy to produce a product to satisfy some critics.

Let er rip and enjoy your new sleds and the associated experiences...life is too short.

Perfect and couldn't agree more!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Yes your chitty, slow to respond Polaris warranty on the engine will be gone. So will 99% of the risk of it blowing up prematurely. Then it is replaced by Indy Dans 3 year warranty that seems to be a no questions asked type of deal with excellent support and turn around.

Go ahead and count on Polaris to take care of you and just see how that works out. They do not have the best track record. Dan, on the other hand, has a superb record of taking care of customers and providing quality products and services.

IMO, the smartest thing you could do is yank your new 850 motor and send it to Dan, void the crap Polaris warranty and get a well built, quality machined replacement with a good warranty. That is a Polaris I might switch back to. Until Polaris gets quality and durability up where it needs to be, you can have your 4 year warranty and the trials that will come with it.

The dealer has a lot to do with warranty work. I never chisel on the dealer for price just ask for best price and pay it. If you have problems relationship with dealer is key I cannot state that enough. Doesn't matter brand. Dealer gave me his personal sled to drive for a week when mine was down. You obviously had a bad run with Polaris. I have not ever been brand loyal but Polaris must be doing something right to have the market share they have. Cat only has like one dealer per state anymore I could on about them but I chose to let my purchase
Speak for itself.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So just to bump this up a bit: Oils.
Carls is in love with Redline. I have heard good and bad. $60 a gallon, Erk.
One buddy runs it, but we got to spend a day towing him out. Granted, 2015 Pro with 2000 miles.
I just found out that my other bud has been running Interceptor for years. He has gone through more engines than I can count, every 800 since 2009, but got 3100 miles out of his 800 Axys on that oil. Running his 850 on it now.
Dan, any opinions? (I am a Doo guy, firm believer in running that the factory tells me to run.)
Just curious.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
So just to bump this up a bit: Oils.
Carls is in love with Redline. I have heard good and bad. $60 a gallon, Erk.
One buddy runs it, but we got to spend a day towing him out. Granted, 2015 Pro with 2000 miles.
I just found out that my other bud has been running Interceptor for years. He has gone through more engines than I can count, every 800 since 2009, but got 3100 miles out of his 800 Axys on that oil. Running his 850 on it now.
Dan, any opinions? (I am a Doo guy, firm believer in running that the factory tells me to run.)
Just curious.

Yes, as of CFI2 design motor 2011 Indy Specialty uses ONLY
POLARIS VES GOLD down to -25 degrees

If you are crazy enough to run in colder weather then I would go to Polaris Red Extreme.

Any aftermarket oils used in our motors voids our warranty.

Times have changed and I am a firm believer that now days you should NEVER
use aftermarket oils.

THIS IS NOT AN OIL THREAD !!

And if it turns into an oil thread I am done on this thread.

I HATE OIL THREADS

Dan

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Dan, I hope you don't consider this an oil question, although it kind of is.

What are your thoughts on adding oil to your fuel? Good idea? If so, how much do you recommend?

I imagine you have stated your opinion on this in the past, but I didn't see it if you did.

Thanks.

S
Jan 1, 2019
6 850's down in my area this week end(quebec-canada)

Let's be honest. There are a lot of people on here who have an ulterior motive, just salivating at the prospect of a defective 850, but the evidence of a defective motor is extremely thin at this point. And no, I'm not talking about indy dan. Just brand loyalists and people who want to be right and see polaris fail and be able to rub it in fan boys faces. Its strangely tribal, but always has been.

My 15 pro gave me 2200 issue free hard mountain miles, which led me to feel confident in 850 with 4 year warranty. I still haven't heard anything negative from anyone else I actually know with one. But hey, if this motor turns out to be crap I'll be the first to eat crow and hop back on ac or brp.
hi, i am a dealer in Quebec Canada and i have 6 850 down just this week end. most of them around 350 miles and all locked up, opening them tomorrow….not normal. now i have 6 loaner(800 axys) on the snow with a bunch of guys freaking out. we have over 150 850 on the snow so far and all of them during break-in period was 'burping' exactly like the dragons(ecu mapping off) seems to go away after break-in. Polaris has a BIG problemthat's for sure….we have more than 1000 800's on the snow since 2016 and only a handful of motors rebuild, we know we have a problem.
just so you guys know we are at sea level here

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
hi, i am a dealer in Quebec Canada and i have 6 850 down just this week end. most of them around 350 miles….not normal.

I can’t believe Polaris hasn’t done a full recall if motors are popping like this. If someone dies in the backcountry because their new snowmobile engine failed leaving them stranded, and Polaris knowing there’s a problem ignored it. I’m thinking a big potential for a big law suit.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
keep us posted on the 6 sleds silent! I would love to see picts of the cylinders after 350 miles even if its the crank bearing that failed. 1 more ??? were they the early released ones or later in the season? thanks

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I can’t believe Polaris hasn’t done a full recall if motors are popping like this. If someone dies in the backcountry because their new snowmobile engine failed leaving them stranded, and Polaris knowing there’s a problem ignored it. I’m thinking a big potential for a big law suit.
sure lol

S
Jan 1, 2019
ivill do
keep us posted on the 6 sleds silent! I would love to see picts of the cylinders after 350 miles even if its the crank bearing that failed. 1 more ??? were they the early released ones or later in the season? thanks
will post pics for sure. all sleds were from various delivery from october to december. one of the sled has an exploded crankcase and i mean exploded one :face-icon-small-hap this sled had a popped oil line as well 3 days prior to failure.

S
Jan 1, 2019
did Polaris tell you to just put the oil line back on and smack it on the ass on the way out???
Pretty much yes….
On one customer sled who suffered a crankshaft seizure 2 weeks ago with only 5 miles, Polaris asked us to replace with a new block assembly, new oil pump, new injectors….wich means they, at that time, had no idea what caused this failure. My son locked his 850 yesterday and mine started to temporarely semi lock(at low rpm wanted to stall)….not very funny.

Last edited:
Premium Features