• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Don’t worry about your 850.

It has a 4 year warranty.

Drive it till it quits, haul it to the dealer and do it again.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
08 dragons also had 4 year warranties if I remember correctly.

But getting towed out and being down for a while during replacement gets old after a while. And certainly cuts into the days to use your new equipment no matter the brand. Catastrophic engine failure does happen for sure, just sucks when it’s you.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I just want to first say i am sorry for the side Track that happened with
kelsey/ADDIE.... and the fact that i got a little aggressive.

I am who i am and i am to old to change.

I was a born fighter and that will never change.

I want to say Thank you to everyone who was so appreciative and said thank you for trying to get the info out. and the pictiures posted.

And who just kindly thanked me for the time i spent here.

Its truly humbling.

Laying things out is not my strong suit.

Thanks again everyone !

I hope and pray everyone has a great winter.

All my shop guys also say thank you !

Dan

Are you a ground and pound type fighter or a fancy footwork knuckles to the face type scrapper?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Don’t worry about your 850.

It has a 4 year warranty.

Drive it till it quits, haul it to the dealer and do it again.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

If it lasts til season three, borrow it to TRS and punch your ticket for a new motor before it's out of warranty! Sorry, just had to throw that out. I think most of us are a little jealous that we don't ride long and/or hard enough to blow motors like you!

Definitely not time to freak out the 850 though. I'm still of the mind where I tend to shy away from any first-year product, but with a four-year warranty, anyone who's bought on has plenty of options. Worst case is you decide it's not reliable enough for you and unload it with a year or two of warranty left. Even selling one just out of warranty, the engine would have to be a complete disaster to make a big difference in resale value, the way used sleds go.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
haven't seen a thread like this since the dragon saver/drop in fix kit days. Not enough hours available in my day to keep up with this one.:face-icon-small-con i'll have to read the cliff notes in a few weeks when they come out on paperback.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
All I know is mine is getting a steady diet of 94 oct and VES extreme when I get home from holidays. and if the sow eats her piglets? Guess I'll be extra glad I held onto my '16 with a bunch of BMP stuff bolted to it so I'll have something fun and reliable to ride when the 850 lets loose and scatters to all compass points...
:face-icon-small-hap

G
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
So all in scandinavia are butt f**ked, takes forever to get a motor shipped. My local dealer had seven out of ten new 850 who would not start at delivery...

D
May 24, 2012
Ski-Doo Lingo

notice the lock ring groove in the relation to the groove in the bearing from
extreme in to extreme up to where the seal stops.

If your sled was assembled like photo #4 the end is near.

Dan

more pics coming.

Nice work Dan! I added a SxS comparison with the latest plateau finish I got done for a doo with one you did for a poo. It was the best that I could get from a shop in Quebec :face-icon-small-dis If project 0.2 Hp/cc 1K goes through, I'll be sending you the monoblock to get finished. I need this thing to work for a reliability ride.....

By the way can you take a picture of the coolant passages of the Patriot? It's a major improvement over the 800 HO.

Charles
Quebec

Some new Ski-Doo lingo that I think you should start using to rub it in :face-icon-small-ton

- Product Improvement
- What's Next
- Spirited Riders

Plateau Finish comparison 2.jpg

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
notice the lock ring groove in the relation to the groove in the bearing from
extreme in to extreme up to where the seal stops.

If your sled was assembled like photo #4 the end is near.

Dan

more pics coming.

Good pictures, yeah thats totally SCREWED if you have one done like that for sure, goodbuy motor

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
So you think its ethical...... to surf all the sled forums not as yourself and non stop slam another business that is in the same business as you ?

Kelsey has made his last several years about noe stop bashing Indy Specialty.

it really doesn't matter much...... his sled business has been tanking.

Anyone is free to do so...... but do not not think its completely unfair to hide behind a false name ?

Dan

I was wrong. You are correct. It is the snake oil drop in kit man. Bawhahahahaha.

Catching up in this thread over the past day, it's easy to see that in his last few posts, his inner anger coming out.

And I just figured out why he isn't ….. ……. .. …… .. and cap locking words as often in any of his posts...…

He is on a smart phone now. Now longer is he smashing on keyboard's.

And no, it's not ethical. I have never seen another shop follow you with such hostility. Most are too busy to care about what you do and say Dan.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Kelsey / ADDIE

Nice work Dan! I added a SxS comparison with the latest plateau finish I got done for a doo with one you did for a poo. It was the best that I could get from a shop in Quebec :face-icon-small-dis If project 0.2 Hp/cc 1K goes through, I'll be sending you the monoblock to get finished. I need this thing to work for a reliability ride.....

By the way can you take a picture of the coolant passages of the Patriot? It's a major improvement over the 800 HO.

Charles
Quebec

Some new Ski-Doo lingo that I think you should start using to rub it in :face-icon-small-ton

- Product Improvement
- What's Next

- Spirited Riders

Thank you so much Charles from Quebec

Kelsey / ADDIE .........Take a look at the photo Charles posted

Cylinder on the left ...... Best he could find in Quebec

Cylinder on the right - Indy Specialty HG7 finish

Is it even possible for a blind man not see which one will have the best piston & ring life ?

The photo on the left is ( silicon carbide ) material saw.

To date...... There is no honing company in the United States or Canada that can make a cylinder look like that other then Indy Specialty.

Thanks again Charles

Dan

Last edited:

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Nice work Dan!! Thanks for all the effort and time you’ve put in.
If I need engine work I trust you are the best there is!
Think I’ll probably jump ship to team Arctic Cat though ?
Any bets if I get red thumbed from ‘indydansucks’ ? That Dbag has got me three times already on here!!

IndyDanSucks is no more so you won't have to worry about that. It was an account created just to bash on another member and that clearly goes against the guidelines of SnoWest. Have a great winter all!!

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Cylinder honing differences

Left pic - the best in Quebec

Right pic - HG7 finish......Indy Specialty

I want everyone to understand ( I have the utmost respect for Millennium and US CHROME ) plating companies.

and it's important that everyone understands that there is almost no way for them to spend the time required to get that finish and still make a profit to stay in business.

We charge $225 to get to that type finish after the plating companies are done.

And it's done in a torque plate hone.

Millennium does all my cylinders...... And I have never had a plating failure from them.

They are a great company and they have the muscle and staff to handle a staggering number of cylinder per day.

AND PLEASE NOTE : if you send a note with your cylinder to then that you would like the finest finish possible with the finest shoes they have your cylinder will most likely be much better.

Understand....... They have to make a profit and if they make the cylinders look like Indy Specialty does they would have to double their prices.

As I said these are both incredible companies that both do awesome work.

The competitive nature of plating prices will most likely never allow them to spend the time needed to get the cylinders to the HG7 finish.

Dan

image.jpeg

D
Nov 2, 2008
This has been brought up a few times in the 300+ replies is the number of miles logged while “testing” the motor. While that is hard to believe, they could have tested it for 1,000,000 miles but never tell us of any failures during those testing miles. They could have gotten 10 other defects worked out but not these few by the time it went to production, or didn’t experience enough failures of certain types to warrant an investigation into why.
I have not Been fortunate enough to purchase a new sled but follow Poo and Doo new stuff and work on a few here and there. My 900 was a disaster I thought I could handle. Nope. Tried all my magic and couldn’t keep it together....repeatedly. Just like those sleds, they were a a response by Polaris and this situation is no different the way I see it. Sure, some made it to higher miles, but many didn’t and Polaris HQ denied any responsibility for their poor product.
Seems as if Poo has their other divisions together as shown by the number of ATV/SxS that I see around my place, one of the top trail destinations in my state. Polaris has their hands in so many other areas, but cannot seem to come out on the winning end with their sleds...anymore.
People like IndyDan are taking the time to back up their claims with evidence, something that is rarely done anymore. Rather than saying...the Motor is junk, Dan chimes in and shows us his concerns based on a couple hundred years of experience....sorry Dan, you even said you were old! You need to write a book like Aaen’s Clutching book, but on Poo engines.
PS: the eBay link in your sig doesn’t work. I was going to buy like 15 long rod 800s from you on eBay, but the link was broken. Oh well, next time. Lol.

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
User name - IndyDanSucks & ADDIE

IndyDanSucks is no more so you won't have to worry about that. It was an account created just to bash on another member and that clearly goes against the guidelines of SnoWest. Have a great winter all!!

NOTE TO ALL - All 3 user names ( RKT ) - ( IndyDanSucks ) - ( ADDIE ) All Were created under the same e-mail address held by Kelsey of the business RK-Teck 2 stroke heads.

You can follow Kelsey / ADDIE on Facebook where I have heard he has been coming unhinged form being called ADDIE / IndyDanSucks

For all others interested Kelsey has a engine talk page you can visit as long as you agree with everything he say about forged Pistons drop-in Kits you can stay there.

Note - he has deleted every post from all the guys at my shop and block all of us and many of our customers.

That's enough about that ! I just had to sure everyone knows who's who....

And that ADDIE surely doesn't work for Polaris........ He reads old out dated tech articles about cast iron bore cylinders from days gone by and then quotes
Off them like he has knowledge about honing.

I have been told is a reason NASCAR doesn't use Silicon Carbide cylinders anymore.

They couldn't get a motor to last a 500 mile race........ They couldn't get the cylinder finish smooth enough.

This Is a well hidden secret.

Dan

Last edited:

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
NOTE TO ALL - All 3 user names ( RKT ) - ( IndyDanSucks ) - ( ADDIE ) All Were created under the same e-mail address held by Kelsey of the business RK-Teck 2 stroke heads.

You can follow Kelsey / ADDIE on Facebook where I have heard he has been coming unhinged form being called ADDIE / IndyDanSucks

For all others interested Kelsey has a engine talk page you can visit as long as you agree with everything he say about forged Pistons drop-in Kits you can stay there.

Note - he has deleted every post from all the guys at my shop and block all of us and many of our customers.

That's enough about that ! I just had to sure everyone knows who's who....

And that ADDIE surely doesn't work for Polaris........ He reads old out dated tech articles about cast iron bore cylinders from days gone by and then quotes
Off them like he has knowledge about honing.

I have been told is a reason NASCAR doesn't use Silicon Carbide cylinders anymore.

They couldn't get a motor to last a 500 mile race........ They couldn't get the cylinder finish smooth enough.

This Is a well hidden secret.

Dan

It is great that you are spreading these false rumors about a company and a person. Shows how full of it you really are.

Of course, if it were all true, you would have already put up something that shows it to be true. You have not and that tells the story.

You have your followers that will believe anything you say in your small world, you are king.

In the end, you are a liar.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
It is great that you are spreading these false rumors about a company and a person. Shows how full of it you really are.

Of course, if it were all true, you would have already put up something that shows it to be true. You have not and that tells the story.

You have your followers that will believe anything you say in your small world, you are king.

In the end, you are a liar.

By not answering the many people who have asked who you are and your qualifications are you have pretty much proved Dan right about you.

Because if he was a "lair" as you say then YOU would have just proved him wrong to end that part of the discussion. But you haven't........

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
By not answering the many people who have asked who you are and your qualifications are you have pretty much proved Dan right about you.

Because if he was a "lair" as you say then YOU would have just proved him wrong to end that part of the discussion. But you haven't........

There is nothing to answer. He is making false claims with no backing evidence. If he had the evidence, he would surely show it. It works both ways.

Nobody is proved right simply because somebody else refuses to play his game.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.

Charles
Quebec

- Product Improvement
- What's Next

- Spirited Riders

It would be cool to compare Cat,Poo,Doo cylinder plating!
Anybody have some pictures to add to these? I’ve been curious to what the Doo plasma coating looks like also.

Nice work Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features