• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Should probably start a new thread for this but this is kind of relevant here as well.

Dan, I'm looking for your opinion. Even with the issues you have shown, u have stated multiple times that this is a great motor. This is all premature and irrelevant until/if we start to have problems, but what would you do to make this 850 "bulletproof". If there is such a thing in this industry. I only make 4ish trips a year so down time wrecks my winter. This thread has me worried, hopefully for nothing. But I have a silber kit on order and I want to have it be dependable.
yes, i realize this is comical being I have only put on 25 miles....

I’ve always said if you ride a Polaris you must have two. That fixes it.?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
notice the lock ring groove in the relation to the groove in the bearing from
extreme in to extreme up to where the seal stops.

If your sled was assembled like photo #4 the end is near.

Dan

more pics coming.

Very helpful. Thank you.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
This posting started on 12-16-18 @ 7:40 by ANTHONY 11. It has traveled extreme distances. It has shared a wealth of knowledge from numerous individuals to imposters with opionions,hidding in the snow. There have been numerous opinions as to the fix or fixes needed to the new 850 power plant. But at the end of the 324 replies, 24,721 views all egos aside a resolution has come in Indy Dan’s repair. The repair might not be for ALL the 850 power plants but it was the correct repair for the customers sled that Dan repaired. The customer services showed by Indy Dan was over the top. I hope most would agree with me on that front. At the end of each day it is the customers that pay the bills for any and all companies large or small. They keep the lights on and the bills paid. You do not see small individual companies go to the extreme that Indy Specialties did in this instant. Dan, you and your team need to take a bow, pat yourself on the back and brink a few beers. I’m sure that not all will agree with my accessment on this but it is what it is.

The repair was posted and completed on 12-20-18 @ 2:59 pm. That is impressive.

‘‘Tis the season. Hope all have a safe and joyous/Merry Christmas.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
read whole thing. can tell its kelsey from the beginning just by the fact he won't ever leave it lay...constantly comes back...has to have last word. I've read a ton of forums for the last 10-15 years and he stood out in them because of his constant must reply. always thought it was very unprofessional to be argumentative in public when trying to sell your goods. to each his own i guess.

anyways. thanks for the pictures INDY DAN. nice work on the crank and explanation.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Thank you !

I just want to first say i am sorry for the side Track that happened with
kelsey/ADDIE.... and the fact that i got a little aggressive.

I am who i am and i am to old to change.

I was a born fighter and that will never change.

I want to say Thank you to everyone who was so appreciative and said thank you for trying to get the info out. and the pictiures posted.

And who just kindly thanked me for the time i spent here.

Its truly humbling.

Laying things out is not my strong suit.

Thanks again everyone !

I hope and pray everyone has a great winter.

All my shop guys also say thank you !

Dan

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
ok, here is the finish bottom-end.

Notice the photo with a straight line to the wheel to bearing sitting dead center
and notice the huge amount of clearance.

everything is all good with the bearing centered.

Dan

Dan can we get a pic of it all done in the case showing the oil hole please.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Nice work Dan!! Thanks for all the effort and time you’ve put in.
If I need engine work I trust you are the best there is!
Think I’ll probably jump ship to team Arctic Cat though ?
Any bets if I get red thumbed from ‘indydansucks’ ? That Dbag has got me three times already on here!!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Could be normal.

If it starts.

There is some troubleshooting you can do.

Bare with me on this, but I think you'll be able to follow what I'm walking you through here. This might take a couple days of trial and error and patience.

Is it flooded? That's been happening during the break-in.

If the case and cyls have too much fuel, it can be hard to pull over...but it doesn't yet mean it's a bearing issue. So check on the flooding issue and rule that out.

Some people are cleaning up the flooding by taping the throttle to the bars and letting it sit for a few hours to clean out/evaporate the fuel in there.

I've heard of people unplugging the injectors and then trying to start it. It helps from adding additional fuel during the flooding process.

If it IS flooded right now and you clean that up and are eventually able to get it started...let it idle up through a full heat cycle. Don't touch the throttle yet. Let it get up to 145 degrees. If it shuts off on it's own after it warms up, then the bearing could be swelled enough to shut the engine off.

IF that's the issue, and you let it cool down overnight to let the bearing shrink back down, it should start again.

If that works, it COULD be the bearing.
Obviously. If it was mine it would be fixed already.
Needed space in my garage tried to start it but it wouldn't. Looked at a couple of obvious things and ran out of time so pushed it in the trailer and called the owner to let him know he needs to deal with it. Evidently he's in no hurry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A
Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for all of the wonderful discussion in this thread.

Update on my machine: the shop removed the engine and the center bearing on the crankshaft is seized and does not turn. Everything else in the engine looks perfect. New motor on order from Polaris.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
But pull it a few times with the key off first. With key on it keeps pumping fuel.

I have pointed this out a few times, if EFI sled is flooded, turn switch/key off, hold throttle wide open for 5-6 pulls. Turn switch/key on, crack throttle a little and give it a pull.. this has always worked for me with out fail.

Premium Features