• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
This is all so bizarre.

Who cares if it is/isn't Kelsey? Does that change a dude trying to offer his $0.02. It is a forum, where ideas are supposed to be talked about freely/openly. Hence the word "forum".

fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/Submit
noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Dan, clearly many people speak highly of your work but I don't understand this move on your behalf...

Silber Turbo man...... this is exactly why good threads go off track.

Kelsey knows he can't come on here as himself because he will be called out
by so many that have been conned by his smoke and mirrors piston fix kit.

so these con artist change there names and go out trying to slander thread topics and blow them off course and the public hates it.

Pretty much that simple..........tell me why your user name is so stupid ?

Why isn't your user name relative to where you work ??
Or use your real name...........

this is a sled forum why do you hide behind JJ_0909 ?/

Its Your right but its weak.... and not ethical to not be yourself..... ( especially when its business related )

Dan

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
So you its ethical...... to surf all the sled forums not as yourself and non stop slam another business that is in the same business as you ?

Kelsey has made his last several years about noe stop bashing Indy Specialty.

Anyone is free to do so...... but do not not think its completely unfair to hide behind a false name ?

Dan
I don't know who he is, nor do I care. He hasn't backed up anything he has said thus far. I have no problem with you calling him out for who he is, especially if you have history with him. You should have, but challenging him to a fight.... that's just what we need, two old dudes breaking each others hips on the side of the mountain. Just post the video please

And...... you gave me bad rep for it...... thank you sir for that.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hey - Silber turbo man.......... It makes all the difference in the world.

what gets said ( by who is a big deal ) just as nobody knows who you are unless they dig or read between the lines.

Credibility is a hiuge factor............ADDIE has none because he would not tell anyone who he is or where he works, and what field he is in.

Thats just basic common sense.

Common dude give me a break.

I don't know man. I have to deal with people suggesting things I don't really love to read, and I believe to be wrong, but I can't just shut them down cause I don't want to read it. I have to "beat" them intellectually...not name calling.

Took me a bit, but I learned you have to let people speak what they believe to be true and let the audience decide what they will.

"Proof is in the pudding" is always the best way to go...be it engines (something you clearly have made a career around - and your product seems to be all the "proof" you need...you can just ignore everything beyond that!), turbos, sleds etc. If what you say is true, people will see it in the field. Actions > Words (on the internet!)

I honestly didn't read everything either one of you wrote pertaining to cylinder honing, crank bearings etc. However, there seemed to be a few jabs on both sides, and I'm okay with that. We aren't that fragile right?! A good debate is healthy. We don't all have to agree!

If you are going to post in a forum, I firmly believe its not a place to preach, but to engage. If you don't want to engage, just stick to your own facebook page, or your own website. Hell, get off the internet all together.

I realize this may frustrate you, but as I get older I always realize "I could be wrong" is a good moniker to keep in the back of your mind. Its essential to growth.

I'm not saying you *are* wrong, but I am suggesting you may not be 100% right, either. We all have stuff to learn!

I'm obviously a big Robert Pirsig fan... "For every fact there
is an infinity of hypotheses. The more you look the more you see."

EDIT: Also if you'll search my name *at all* you'll see my name is Jeff Brines. I don't hide it. Nor do I hide any of my contact info. Just created my handle way back when...and 99% of people don't use their name as their handle.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Got me thinking about my buddies sled. Went to move it out of my garage the other day and back into trailer. The sled has zero miles on it and has only been warmed up and driven out of trailer. I could not for the life of me start the sled. It also pulled over harder than normal. I looked inside side panel with flash light and noticed some oil looking black stuff in bottom of belly pan. Now you got me thinking is this what is wrong. I just shrugged it off at the time being exhaust valve drainage residue.

2a5f510c8d3801da8f7a0a13a7202d9e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thats just oil coming out of the y pipe donut. That happens before the seal goes through a few heat cycles. It dries up after a few miles.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Should probably start a new thread for this but this is kind of relevant here as well.

Dan, I'm looking for your opinion. Even with the issues you have shown, u have stated multiple times that this is a great motor. This is all premature and irrelevant until/if we start to have problems, but what would you do to make this 850 "bulletproof". If there is such a thing in this industry. I only make 4ish trips a year so down time wrecks my winter. This thread has me worried, hopefully for nothing. But I have a silber kit on order and I want to have it be dependable.
yes, i realize this is comical being I have only put on 25 miles....

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
We just finished the crankcase fixture & machined in the
Bearing lock.

I know these problems seem like a big deal, but
To this shop this is pretty basic.

And really not a fortune to have done.

Bearing lock ( torque plate hone the cylinder )

I’ll send pics when I get back to the shop.

I couldn’t get the picture to attach from my phone of the one we just did

Dan

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
We just finished the crankcase fixture & machined in the
Bearing lock.

I know these problems seem like a big deal, but
To this shop this is pretty basic.

And really not a fortune to have done.

Bearing lock ( torque plate hone the cylinder )

I’ll send pics when I get back to the shop.

I couldn’t get the picture to attach from my phone of the one we just did

Dan

Just to ask the question directly to you, you see no way the bearing issue is an assembly line problem correct? (I thought I read that earlier)

I don't doubt that its an easy fix for a dude like you, but to most, the idea of splitting cases is like taking apart their new iPhone to solder in a new capacitor.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Just to ask the question directly to you, you see no way the bearing issue is an assembly line problem correct? (I thought I read that earlier)

I don't doubt that its an easy fix for a dude like you, but to most, the idea of splitting cases is like taking apart their new iPhone to solder in a new capacitor.

I see where you’re coming from and the confusion I might’ve caused.

What I meant by not an assembly line problem, is the fact that if it was designed correctly with the bearing the locator then it wouldn’t be up to the assembly line to try and locate the bearing .

If you want to Percision locate a bearing in today’s world by a Fanuc robot arm and have the robot do it.

Assembly lines are about repeatability

Dan

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I see where you’re coming from and the confusion I might’ve caused.

What I meant by not an assembly line problem, is the fact that if it was designed correctly with the bearing the locator then it wouldn’t be up to the assembly line to try and locate the bearing .

If you want to Percision locate a bearing in today’s world by a Fanuc robot arm and have the robot do it.

Assembly lines are about repeatability

Dan

Ah, so basically you are saying if the assembly line worker didn't locate the bearing properly, the motor is doomed, regardless if the spacer is there or not?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thats just oil coming out of the y pipe donut. That happens before the seal goes through a few heat cycles. It dries up after a few miles.

Could be normal.

This ^^^.Go run it !

If it starts.

Well it wont start.

There is some troubleshooting you can do.
Bare with me on this, but I think you'll be able to follow what I'm walking you through here. This might take a couple days of trial and error and patience.

Is it flooded? That's been happening during the break-in.
If the case and cyls have too much fuel, it can be hard to pull over...but it doesn't yet mean it's a bearing issue. So check on the flooding issue and rule that out.

Some people are cleaning up the flooding by taping the throttle to the bars and letting it sit for a few hours to clean out/evaporate the fuel in there.

I've heard of people unplugging the injectors and then trying to start it. It helps from adding additional fuel during the flooding process.

If it IS flooded right now and you clean that up and are eventually able to get it started...let it idle up through a full heat cycle. Don't touch the throttle yet. Let it get up to 145 degrees. If it shuts off on it's own after it warms up, then the bearing could be swelled enough to shut the engine off.

IF that's the issue, and you let it cool down overnight to let the bearing shrink back down, it should start again.
If that works, it COULD be the bearing.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Ah, so basically you are saying if the assembly line worker didn't locate the bearing properly, the motor is doomed, regardless if the spacer is there or not?

Yes..... to be clear..... the ( spacer ) would most likely be a hand held unit
that would be use just for wheel spacing and then removed after the crank was set.

If they use a spacer it looks like the only thing it can go again is the plastic roller seperator.

and i can't see that working.

I will attach pictures hang tight

Dan

Last edited:
Premium Features