• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Dragon 8 163" has arrived

Carl's Port Job

I completed my sled project last weekend with the install of the ported cyclinders. I will not post pictures of the porting, not much to see anyway. I did note that Carl's and SLP are not the same and don't have any way of knowing if one is better. The package from Carl's includes higher compression heads and a small change to clutching. The higher compression is apparent on a slow pull but the engine seems to start easily, not much harder to pull through quickly. While it was down, I installed V Force 3 reeds, tight, but easier with the cyclinders out of the way.
If you remove your fuel rail there are a couple of things of note. First just remove the allan bolts, don't pull the clips on the injectors. Then make sure you get the o ring and the lime green washer off with the injectors. I just wrapped a rubber band around the injector with the washers in place, one less thing to look for later. On reassembly I put the injectors in the cyclinder first and then the aluminum piece that bolts to the cyclinder. Things go back together easily but only when everything is perfectly aligned. Take a picture first or at least note the angle of the injectors before you take them off. Not saying this is the correct way but just what I did.
The air box was more of a challenge. First remove the air sensor plug and then unbolt the upper fuel line clamp. The lower fuel line snaps into the bracket bolted to the air box so it will pop off. Trying to reassemble was a pain. I greased & WD 40'd the rubber and tried several ways to jiggle or force the box. The mag side always fell on but couldn't get the PTO to fit. Finally I used a pry bar to lift the "carb" body on the PTO side & slipped my right hand into the slot above the driven to push the air box on the carb. This would be easier with 3 hands. Once the PTO side was in place the mag side was easy. Seems like they should just slip on but mine didn't. The 08's are different. Anyone else have a better solution?
If you are thinking about a port job from Carl's get your name on the list. They have a huge backlog. The good news is that they have extra cyclinder, heads and ECU so that when you hit the schedule you can exchange parts with very little down time. That's for the 800 I don't know about other models. Allow 2-3 hours for pulling your cyclinders and 5-6 for putting them back together. It can be done a lot faster.
I have two bench mark sleds that I can compare for improvement from my SLP single from last year. I think Carl's says another couple of sled lengths, SLP claims 167.4 HP.

Last edited:
O the joys of polishing
l_ef898379561345d3be684062242688cf.jpg

l_35c0f91548534f47bff0765f88b00377.jpg

starting to throw around the idea of getting the spindles powder coated black and the rear suspension

poilsh the spindles to!!!!! LOL

Here are a couple of pic's. I'll try to get some in the snow, outside might get better lighting. I found some wide black pinstripe tape to cover the aluminum plate for the clutch guard. Put on an ugly tall windshield with hand guards, froze my a$$ last year with stock. I'll run the Carl's cut version of the SLP Powder Pro's till spring snow and then put the stock skiis back.

012.jpg

The Holz suspension with floats, put the Holz stickers on the rails to add a little red color.

010.jpg

Here is a rear view of the BBoards and vents.

011.jpg

Last edited:
One last picture. I reduced the weight about 25 lbs from stock and then added weight back with several bags and tools. Approximate weight reductions are :
SLP Pipe 10
Holz Rear 9.5
Foam & Stickers 3+
Muffler side panel shield and foam 1.25
Cutouts for 6 vents net of vents 1
BetterBoards-Some net weight gain didn't weigh the material removed.

After moving the hood hinge on the bumper everything lines up perfectly. My air horn hit when stock now it falls into place. The rear of the hood hung over the rear panel 1/4" on one side-now matches perfect. The center hood bulge above the side panels is gone from last year.

009.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ron with all your motor mods are you going to be running a fuel box or getting your ecu reflashed??

Vent q

Sled looks great Ron, what vents did you use and did you add any extra material to them? All so what was the name of the vent you put on the dash ?

Sled looks great Ron, what vents did you use and did you add any extra material to them? All so what was the name of the vent you put on the dash ?

I got all the vents at Carl's. The dash vent is a 2-Cool, the rest are Carl's anodized black aluminum. The clutch side shock tower vent comes with grey screen that I changed out to black "pet proof" screen. The aluminum vents come with black 3 point rivets for a quality look.

Hey ron with all your motor mods are you going to be running a fuel box or getting your ecu reflashed??

Carl's reflashes the ECU with the port job. The fuel boxes look trick but I'll pass on them, at least for now. Don't care for the "dyno tune" on the PC and the fuel transitioning to Ethanol will take some time for everyone to adjust fuel systems. I am going to try to buy enough non ethanol fuel for this season.

Premium Features

Back