• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Dragon 8 163" has arrived

Ron what is the part # for your handguard mounts? and can we get a pic of them from the front?

Can't get any better picture but here it is again & also the pic with part #'s from the acc catelogue:

001-11.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-6.jpg

Q on vents

Ron will the plastic push darts on the dash hold good? I like the look of the vent on your sled, I started to order on for my sled but than I began to wonder if it will have a good seal. Earlyer you sent me some information on Fire N Ice vents, did you put some kind of prefilter material on the shock tower vent or did it come with it ?

Ron will the plastic push darts on the dash hold good? I like the look of the vent on your sled, I started to order on for my sled but than I began to wonder if it will have a good seal. Earlyer you sent me some information on Fire N Ice vents, did you put some kind of prefilter material on the shock tower vent or did it come with it ?

This is the first year I have used the dash vent with the darts. They were in use last year by others, don't know of any issues. If you drill the hole the correct size the darts get a good grip...I would replace darts if for some reason I had to remove them...good one use only. Black 3 point rivets would work well too but there is always a chance that some piece might flake off into the intake.
The shock tower vent came with grey window screen that I replaced with pet proof screen just because it's tougher. While removing the belt the vent is close enough that you could tear the lighter material. Liked the black color better than grey & since I had the material & time I took the extra precaution of using the stronger screen. You can purchase pet proof screen at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Acc

Couple of things I picked up for my sled. First is a bottle to catch oil draining from the exhaust valves. Zipped to the bumper & left the drain tube off for now. I'll wait to see how long it takes to fill. The drain tube is located under the wire harness in the nose & will let oil drain into the nose.
003-2.jpg

The second item is a larger bag for the rear of the IQ. Fit isn't very good but the bag is larger and will hold a sholvel, tools, etc. The high zipper location will work better (more snow free) than the side zipper on the smaller bag.

001-3.jpg

Last edited:
Waxing the Hood

The new "white" hood collects dirt & smudges easily. Instructions say not to wax it or it will shine. I applied an automotive paste wax to mine with good results. The look didn't change & the wax should provide protection from dirt.

Q for Ron, A arms & hand guards

Ron I see you have A arm guards , I had some on a XP last year and all they did was fill up with snow, some times so hard it would enter fear with the steering. Do you think the same thing might happen on the D8 ? and how do the hand guards mount on the brake side ?

I didn't have much of an issue with snow & the A arm protectors last year but ride mostly dry powder. They provide protection and more flotation but collect some snow, guess you need to weigh the trade off. Probably worse if you ride the wet heavy snow along the coast.
The hand guard mounts "stand off" far enough that they don't interfere with the brake, lots of room and adjustment. I don't care for them but like to ride with light gloves.

The new "white" hood collects dirt & smudges easily. Instructions say not to wax it or it will shine. I applied an automotive paste wax to mine with good results. The look didn't change & the wax should provide protection from dirt.

Hi Ron,
Which product did you use in your application?
Oh Yeah, When the H--- is mine getting here???

I used Meguiars but don't think the product matters much. There was a light sheen before I waxed it and that look didn't change a bit after.

Ron, Where do you suggest running the front limiter and FTS position on a 163 with the goal of the best deep snow performance. And can I ask what you sold your 08 for? Am regreting not going with your sled somewhat. So at the end of this season I'll offer you $8500 for this 09. Guaranteed $ in these tuff times......how can you refuse???

Ron, Where do you suggest running the front limiter and FTS position on a 163 with the goal of the best deep snow performance. And can I ask what you sold your 08 for? Am regreting not going with your sled somewhat. So at the end of this season I'll offer you $8500 for this 09. Guaranteed $ in these tuff times......how can you refuse???

For deep snow the upper mount on the shock, for a softer ride on the trails use the lower hole. Got my asking price for my 08 & sure the $8500 sounds fair....that way I won't have to worry about tree or rock damage either. You didn't say anything about condition, ha ha.:beer;:)

Ron-
Where did you get that plastic bottle? i thought that hose was a vent for the the solenoid?

-Zach

Ron-
Where did you get that plastic bottle? i thought that hose was a vent for the the solenoid?

-Zach

Carl's Cycle sells the bottles for $6, they were originally used for battery acid overflow on a cycle. Where are your black PC'd front end parts?
My ported cyclinders should be done soon....the last little thing.

Last edited:
Added a toggle switch for the Ethanol jumper wire, see picture attached.

I am also rethinking the bottle for exhaust valve overflow. I am told that the bottle won't always make it 2 rides before it needs emptied....no wonder there is such a mess without one. I'm going to change to a larger bottle with more capacity, still looking. If there is any vent tube restriction exhaust valves may not function properly.

001-4.jpg

Black

Flit-starting to look like "your" sled vs all the rest. The black rails really stand out and the black in front has a nice look too. White skis, white belly pan....nice touch-we need snow soon or we will all be too broke to ride, ha ha.

Flit-starting to look like "your" sled vs all the rest. The black rails really stand out and the black in front has a nice look too. White skis, white belly pan....nice touch-we need snow soon or we will all be too broke to ride, ha ha.

Thanks Ron, and your right it needs to snow so i dont go broke...

Still to install will be a bumper from curt, head light cover (im hoping to get one at snow show), hand guards then im hoping to be done.

Thanks Super B and sleadhead

Premium Features

Back