• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Dragon 8 163" has arrived

More pic's

First pic shows the booster port & the hole for upper injector.

008.jpg

Pictures of the exhaust ports, pic's don't show the perspective of the amount of volumn on the exhaust side ports once they leave the cyclinder & really don't do justice to the size of the main exhaust port:

EP with VES below:
006.jpg

007.jpg

EP from inside the cyclinder

005-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, almost done with my sled-now I made a big mess again. Parts out for Powder Coating & I decided to install the VF Reeds. Cylinders in the way so why not pull them now-porting scheduled for late Oct. I didn't pull my 08 down so don't know how the 09 compares except it has single ring pistons. I'm sure I read that the 08's were double ring. Hot damn more power.

I thought the 08's were single ring also....

Well, almost done with my sled-now I made a big mess again. Parts out for Powder Coating & I decided to install the VF Reeds. Cylinders in the way so why not pull them now-porting scheduled for late Oct. I didn't pull my 08 down so don't know how the 09 compares except it has single ring pistons. I'm sure I read that the 08's were double ring. Hot damn more power.

I thought the 08's were single ring also....

Someone posted that they were double ring last year. The online parts pic shows one ring but says "rings". Someones had one apart so tell us...1 or 2 rings in 08?

Dragon Project

Wow...I'm not even a Polaris guy and I have been reading and following your entire post Ron. You're doing a great job of explaining and documenting your build. I'm sure many Dragon riders(and at least one XP rider) are benefiting from the information and education in this thread.

Keep up the good work!! :D:D

Wow...I'm not even a Polaris guy and I have been reading and following your entire post Ron. You're doing a great job of explaining and documenting your build. I'm sure many Dragon riders(and at least one XP rider) are benefiting from the information and education in this thread.

Keep up the good work!! :D:D

Thanks, got my sled way early so too much time to spend. "Trench" has his engine apart & said single ring piston in 08. Someone must have confused the Doo Doo 2 ring with the Poo Poo.

Thanks, got my sled way early so too much time to spend. "Trench" has his engine apart & said single ring piston in 08. Someone must have confused the Doo Doo 2 ring with the Poo Poo.

hey ron, notice how wide the transfers are compared to the older 8's? by the looks of them they would easily outflow the BB ports..and you are right the exhaust is pretty damn big for stock port as well.............

Thanks TD, looks like Polaris has some other errors in the online parts listings. We previously found that they still list the 20 tooth top gear on the Dragon but they came with a 19 in 09.
Mountain Horse pointed out another error. He had learned that the 09 has a different Motorolla chipset. The same Poo online PN for the ECU shows for 08 & 09 but the 09 info is wrong. I just checked my 09 ECU & it is different from 08. 08 is PN 4011518 my 09 is PN 4012541. Thanks Eric, looks like a dual map on the 08's is not going to happen??? About time for some Poo service bulletins.

Underhood bag

MNIQR here's a look at the bag!

The least expensive mod I've found is the underhood bag-good for a spare pair of gloves or to dry your goggles. It has a mesh front. Price is $15.95.

Purchased from Carl's Cycle but available at most dealers from the distributor Western Power Sports.

001-9.jpg

Picture of it on my 08 Dragon, don't have my 09 installed yet.

DSCN4305.jpg

I just bought one at the end of last winter. Never got a chance to try it out though.

How long does it take typically to dry out a pair of goggles or gloves?

Powder Coating Done

Got my bumper, spindles & steering arms back from powder coating. The red isn't perfect but very close matches the ski tips, close on the decals. I like it better than the raw aluminum look but will always wonder how it would have looked black. I used one of the Holz stickers to cover the aluminum piece for the clutch guard. The ski is a Carl's "cut" Powder Pro-the rear has a rear taper that makes it easier to side hill and counter steer.

001-10.jpg

002-6.jpg

I put on my Goldfinger lefty throttle, improved from the last one I bought 5 years ago. It is far enough off the handlebar that you can't accidently grab it instead of the brake. Putting it straight down also makes it harder to get by accident. It comes with a lock pin for addl. safety. The windshield bag is very small but will hold my radio, avy beacon and 2 snap on colored lens for my ProVue goggles.

004-5.jpg

Last edited:
Ron-
Ill let you know what black looks like i should have my spindles back later this week

Last edited:
Ron, sled looks gooooooooooooooood man !! Were did you get the intake vent from that's on your dash ?

Ron what is the part # for your handguard mounts? and can we get a pic of them from the front?

Premium Features

Back